Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 1st deer hunting rifle, What caliber?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

You could always go the HCAP route and look for a cheapo lease to get in on ,your going to have your work cut out for ya getting a free permission unless you know someone .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

I'm almost certain that's changed in the last few years, the 30-06 and 308 are now acceptable.
    I'll try and dig up the article I read it in.

I think he intended to shoot boar in France with it this year and was refused .

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

You could always go the HCAP route and look for a cheapo lease to get in on ,your going to have your work cut out for ya getting a free permission unless you know someone .

Any lot of money to shoot 1 or 2 deer a year, Course is expensive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

If you don't get the chance to tag along with a experienced stalker then the HCAP course is a very poor secound choice, but it is better the no knowledge at all.

I think he intended to shoot boar in France with it this year and was refused .

Taken from the link below, I did find the link to the French legislation but it's 'ala francaise' and beyound culinary French I'm stuffed with the language.

In September of 2013, the French adopted a four-category weapon classification model recommended by the EU, that is a great simplification of the previous eight-category model.This simplification has in itself been a matter for celebration by Frenchmen.
    ...........Interestingly, the French have been quite supportive of the EU legal model because it enables them to get access to military chamberings and represents a significant simplification of their previous licensing model.

Read more at http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/news/the-loose-cannon-french-firearms-laws#PyImVYXlzlUblkPT.99

• Advertisement

If you don't get the chance to tag along with a experienced stalker then the HCAP course is a very poor secound choice, but it is better the no knowledge at all.

I seen someone mentioned somewhere about a book and DVD on deer hunting? Supposed to be really good, do you know anything about it? Don't fancy coughing up 180 for coillte, seem to be mainly interested in money.

So I've put a deposit on a Rifle, A Ruger M77 MK2 .308 Win.
    Hope I made the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/rifle/ruger-m77-mk2-rifle-review

Get this book, the best £15 you will ever spend on deer hunting. BETTER than the HCAP sh!te.

You can download each section but far better to get the loose leaf book.
    http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/

And here is the form to submit along with £15
    http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/sites/default/files/Subscription%20Form.pdf

clivej wrote:
    Get this book, the best £15 you will ever spend on deer hunting. BETTER than the HCAP sh!te.

Seems like a solid rifle right?

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    Get this book, the best £15 you will ever spend.........You can download each section but far better to get the loose leaf book.
    http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/sites/default/files/Subscription%20Form.pdf

+1 on this guide, excellent publication, I downloaded it myself, very informative.

+1 on this guide, excellent publication, I downloaded it myself, very informative.

Not sure I understand the Web page, is it all one book or many editions?

Not sure I understand the Web page, is it all one book or many editions?

You can click on each link on the left to read the page.

Or you can go to the 'Support' page and download each section. Print it all off then.

BUT far better to buy the complete book at £15 and read at your leisure.

http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/best_practice/

Go to the link above, click the headings in the left handside, this will redirect to another page and menu each section is download-able in PDF form.

Obviously ignore non 'native' species, seasons and legislation pertaining to firearms, wildlife and food safety. For that you'll need to do research from NPWS, the Wildlife Act, Garda.ie etc. Sites like Wild Deer Association of Ireland, http://www.wilddeerireland.com/ are good source a of information.

If your going to wait until next season then along with permission and rifle / scope start looking at the following essential bits of kit-

Refrigerator - if it's Sika or Fallow then the standard coke fridge will do, if it's Reds, well that's a different story. Then think long term storage - freezer, a good Sika stag gralloched minus hoof and head can be around 40-45kg in weight. Skinned and boned out your talking approximately 25-30kg of venison.
    Now that storgage is out of the way let's work backwards-
    Location to butcher (an easy going partner won't mind the kitchen table), butcher knives (easy got)
    Suitable transport with game tray ( half barrels, deep wide storage box etc)
    Knife for field use (endless list, but I use Moras)
    Drag rope - anything you find comfortable
    Shooting Sticks - not an absolute, but handy and it's all about the best shot. I use home made quads for open fields but carry adjustable tripods for forest stalking.
    Binos - how much do you want to spend. Essential piece of kit.
    Comfortable clothes / footwear - depends on your stalking - open hill at range I'm not to worried about noise, I want warmth and waterproofing but in the wood close in I'm looking for quite fabrics.

I'm not implying that you rush out and buy everything but these are just some of the things that will make your stalking better alround from start to finish. You will, with experience, add to and leave out bits of kit as you see fit. There are plenty of items not mentioned such as hygiene kits, first aid, coms, range finders, lights, gun accessories. Some guys are bare bones stalkers others love to be kit heavy each to their own. But most of all get that land permission.

clivej wrote: »
    You can click on each link on the lef........

Clivej got in there first while I was waffling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I have had a few ruger firearms over the years, a pistol, a revolver, and a centrefire rifle, never had a problem with any of them. All solidly built. Some of the newer rifles like the american series are a bit built down to a price, but the m77 should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

EXCEPT in FRANCE ,friend of mine bought a beautifull grade 8 Blaser Attache only to find out a civilian can't shoot a .308 in France ,because the military use a .308 / 7.62mm :eek::D:D:D

Wow - I didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Just need to secure land now, I'm in a .22 club and cannot get a large caliber licence with my club details, It would mean joining the Midlands aswell which my wife would most likely divorce me for spending all my money on Guns haha

b81a5d5fd806ae48be762a8552069f6c.jpg

One of the best gifts I have received in quite a number of years is a butchers hacksaw. Helps make butchering a deer child's play.

Advertisement