Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering Phonewatch

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Sometimes I find it a little amusing that people think that 'hard copper' is not subject to any security risks compared to mobile signals.

Yes, mobile can be jammed, but it's not all that easy to do.

Copper phone / data lines can just be snipped. They're rarely securely routed to a house.

LTE on a decent network and a good signal will provide speeds as fast or faster than VDSL2 vectored. I have seen symmetric 150Mbit/s over LTE+ in Ireland.

I would also add that there are still alarms connecting using dial up (either ancient modems, or landline SMS which is a form of dial up). All of that requires the alarm to pick up, get a dial tone, tone dial the number, handshake with a modem at the far end. It's not instant.

Mobile SMS takes milliseconds, so does a typical IP connection over mobile or any other IP network. It's a tiny amount of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

listermint wrote: »
    LTE its cheaper and better speeds.

No point arguing there are ways and means of achieving a good system. Thats the long and short of it. Of course you will fight the corner of standards and specs because it is what you are used to. But dont pretend as if adequate solutions cannot be installed without the need for phone monitored systems because this is a forum and 1 voice cant over take everything.

Technology has made it easier than ever to achieve results that would have cost thousands not even 5 years ago. But alas your assertion that a hard fast copper line is the only job when stats now indicate people are getting rid of landlines in their droves. and as for GPRS and LTE well as above they can be achieved easily.

I bid you adieu.

Bad news there for you, but in my experience modern technology as you put it still has not gotten any better than some units the professional electronic security business has been using for the last 25 years to get alarm signals to monitoring stations without phone lines, broadband, GPS, GPRS, SMS or whatever other alphabet letters there are.
    So the scum can take out phone lines, jam GSM,s, turn off power, but us professionals still have something up our sleeves.

But that is not for here.

Slan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kub wrote: »
    Bad news there for you, but in my experience modern technology as you put it still has not gotten any better than some units the professional electronic security business has been using for the last 25 years to get alarm signals to monitoring stations without phone lines, broadband, GPS, GPRS, SMS or whatever other alphabet letters there are.
    So the scum can take out phone lines, jam GSM,s, turn off power, but us professionals still have something up our sleeves.

But that is not for here.

Slan ;)

Quality nonsense, the options open to you include GPRS, GSM, HDSPA, LTE, Hard line Broadband , Satellite Broadbrand , Wireless Broadbarnd , Hard Phone Line.

There is no other option available unless a check in signal is polled and expects a response and activates on the response.

But thats not the 'method' of transfer thats a checksum response. I digress to superior knowledge on all things Engineering... except i am one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Polling at down to a minute is possible with monitoring across multiple paths.
    Radio is still very reliable. As kub says, sometimes the older solutions are the better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

listermint wrote: »
    Quality nonsense, the options open to you include GPRS, GSM, HDSPA, LTE, Hard line Broadband , Satellite Broadbrand , Wireless Broadbarnd , Hard Phone Line.

There is no other option available unless a check in signal is polled and expects a response and activates on the response.

But thats not the 'method' of transfer thats a checksum response. I digress to superior knowledge on all things Engineering... except i am one.

Bit of bad news for your argument there, there is another option, a few actually. Let you huff and puff away though with all your wonderful technology talk there.

In the security business we have to step back a little to view all the options that there are for the good of our customers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement