Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have any tattoos?

• 28-12-2016 12:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

So, just a simple "Yes/No" poll. Do you have any tatts, and maybe a line or two about why you got them.

I have a rainbow flag tattooed in my nether regions. It wasnt too painful as its only small. I got it to support the equality referendum.

Do you have any tattoos? 221 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    19%
    RasTabyteMrPuddingPherekydesmdwexfordxzantidublinceltdiscobeakerIndestructableme_right_oneinajockThundercats HoPedro KhairyprincessjamesbereSCOOP 64RubberlegsBUBBLES1978blade1gizabeer 43 votes
    Yes, I'm glad I got it
    55%
    sixpack's little hat_Kaiser_ednwirelandLa_GordychrismonPherekydesdonspeekingleshneacy69enda1SouthernBellemicksCrowdedHouseJupiterKidPaulKK[Deleted User]Leslie91Mars BarLirangemetaobliviachallengemaster 123 votes
    Yes, but I regret it
    24%
    HellrazerMrPuddingPherekydesfixXxermdwexfordTerrorFirmeryermandanArcheronShenshenarybvtcw0eolkfP_1Burgopudzey101mookishboyShadowHearthSATSUMAme_right_oneBig Nastyninja 12Sirsok 55 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

So, just a simple "Yes/No" poll. Do you have any tatts, and maybe a line or two about why you got them.

I have a rainbow flag tattooed in my nether regions. It wasnt too painful as its only small. I got it to support the equality referendum.

What about the tattoo?

7 myself. Would have a few removed if it was easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    No.

I prefer my art in the art gallery/museum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

No, go fish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have an anchor on each of my forearms that I got done when I served in the air force

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Yes, but I regret it
    I have an anchor on each of my forearms that I got done when I served in the air force

Cool! What air force was that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Yes, but I regret it
    I have five. Don't regret any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

No
    I have one. I got it about twenty years ago. I don't regret it but I've gone off it so I'm planning a cover up in the next few months.
    And I've another one in the pipelines too, I just need to decide where to put it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

No
    Have 5.
    Used to have a bit of Indian ink as well but it wasn't done properly and just faded away.
    Although, if my leg gets sunburnt and goes red, you can still see where it used to say EIRE across my knee haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes, I'm glad I got it

What would you have got if you had served in the Navy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    Nope, and nor would I to be honest. I find most of them to be awful dirty looking things and the supposed individuality it brings is kinda lost when everyone has the same one/idea.
    I know a girl who practically destroyed herself with them.. legs, full arms, neck, even across her chest. She looks like a stunt-double for Michael Scofield! (y'know, if he was a girl :))

I just don't see any art in them and would go so far as to say that it'd put me off someone - especially a potential girlfriend - if they had prominent ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yes, but I regret it
    cnocbui wrote: »
    What would you have got if you had served in the Navy?

Chef's Hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    I don't really like tattoos but I intend to have a tiny one at the back of my neck. A black celtic cross. It'll be hidden under my hair most of the time.

I think the leg tattoos and 'sleeves' destroy people. The actress who plays Demelza on Poldark is covered in them. Gilding the lily in the worst way ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Nope, and nor would I to be honest. I find most of them to be awful dirty looking things and the supposed individuality it brings is kinda lost when everyone has the same one/idea.
    I know a girl who practically destroyed herself with them.. legs, full arms, neck, even across her chest. She looks like a stunt-double for Michael Scofield! (y'know, if he was a girl :))

I just don't see any art in them and would go so far as to say that it'd put me off someone - especially a potential girlfriend - if they had prominent ones.

Aye the tears of the inked women world wide. Always find it amazing how tattooed people never care if their partner is inked of not yet people without ink always have something to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I have two, one of them is going though, shame it's huge and it'll be some job getting rid of it :pac:

In reply to yer man saying that people covered in them look awful, I think Kat Von D for example looks amazing. And a nice full sleeve on a guy makes me weak at the knees :D it really depends on the tattoos I guess.

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    I have two, one of them is going though, shame it's huge and it'll be some job getting rid of it :pac:

In reply to yer man saying that people covered in them look awful, I think Kat Von D for example looks amazing. And a nice full sleeve on a guy makes me weak at the knees :D it really depends on the tattoos I guess.

*googled* Nope. Stunning looking girl yes, but the tattoos ruin it IMO.

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    Aye the tears of the inked women world wide. Always find it amazing how tattooed people never care if their partner is inked of not yet people without ink always have something to say

And yet the "inked" folks get so defensive when someone doesn't appreciate their artwork.

Each to their own. It may do nothing for me personally, but it's not like I'm saying it should be banned either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TommyRiordan

Yes, but I regret it
    Celtic tattoo sleeve. Don't regret it all all, albeit I only got it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Nope I don't have any tattoos. I don't think one would suit me. My husband has three though and I think they look really good on him.
    I think the leg tattoos and 'sleeves' destroy people. The actress who plays Demelza on Poldark is covered in them. Gilding the lily in the worst way ..

I am not too fond of the sleeve either tbh but I did really like the leg tattoo of a daisy chain that Peaches Geldof had.

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    I don't really like tattoos but I intend to have a tiny one at the back of my neck. A black celtic cross. It'll be hidden under my hair most of the time.

But if you don't really like them why would you get one at all? Genuinely curious :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

*googled* Nope. Stunning looking girl yes, but the tattoos ruin it IMO.

Fair enough :) if I could afford that many tattoos I'd resemble her, haha

I do see where you're coming from however, travis barker is a good example of someone covered in them and it looks crap

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    Never even considered getting one. Each to their own and all but some of the stuff you see on people nowadays. I don't think they suit people with white skin. I was at a festival in Spain last year and I think they look great on tanned dark Spaniards. Never got any nor did any of the fellas I grew up with, 36 now so I think we are old enough to have just missed the current craze.

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    Fair enough :) if I could afford that many tattoos I'd resemble her, haha

I do see where you're coming from however, travis barker is a good example of someone covered in them and it looks crap

Had to google him too (I'm so not up to date with current pop culture :p) .. Jaysus, yes that's another level altogether.

I just don't see the appeal of doing stuff like that to yourself, not to mention what if you decide 15/20 years from now that you want it gone (when it's faded, stretched and just looks crap?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

No
    Had to google him too (I'm so not up to date with current pop culture :p) .. Jaysus, yes that's another level altogether.

I just don't see the appeal of doing stuff like that to yourself, not to mention what if you decide 15/20 years from now that you want it gone (when it's faded, stretched and just looks crap?)

You get a new to cover it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Yes, but I regret it
    I have one on my lower leg, just above the ankle, it's about 12cm high, a celtic knot design stylised sea horse in black. I've had it for a little over 10 years now and I still love it as much as the day I got it.

I'm actually currently thinking of getting another one, a different motive and design, and in colour, but the one I would like would cover a lot of my back and will cost a fortune if I want it done properly - which I do! So I'll be saving up for it for the next year or so, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, but I regret it
    Yes, lots, nothing below the wrist though and never would get anything above the neck line.

I think too many people get tattoos based on what's seen to be trendy, so they end up with a sleeve or design that just comes across as incredibly generic.

I don't think tattoo's need to have any meaning, but some people should put a bit of effort into choosing what they want and how it's designed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No tattoos. Toyed with the idea but not sure I really like them enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    I have no tattoos - and don't think I'd ever get any tbh.

I have a few friends who have themed ones - Harry Potter, Star Wars, Disney, etc.- and they said they've had nothing but positive experiences in that the tattoos serve as conversation starters with strangers who are fans of the franchises.

Yes, but I regret it
    Those who voted "Yes, but regret", tell us your stories! Why did you get them and why do you regret them now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Yes, but I regret it
    8. Half are Pokemon tattoos the others are various written pieces that mean something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I have one small one that I got about 20yrs ago.I have another one in mind but not sure where to put it yet. I think they suit some people but not others and I prefer the very dark grey/black ones.I love Beckham's ones but it could be the body that's the attraction there ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Yes, but I regret it
    Loads. Sleeves, legs, chest, fingers, side of my head, feet, back.

I'd have more if I could find the time/money.

And as I always say in these threads - I am delighted that they weed out certain men and women (mostly men frankly). If you don't like my outward appearance, who I am as a person is unlikely to appeal to you. So in that sense, my tattoos are the equivalent of "NO TIME WASTERS".

Yes, I'm glad I got it

And as I always say in these threads - I am delighted that they weed out certain men and women (mostly men frankly). If you don't like my outward appearance, who I am as a person is unlikely to appeal to you. So in that sense, my tattoos are the equivalent of "NO TIME WASTERS".

And yet, it's apparently grand to slate "certain" men and women just because they don't agree with your choices.. bit of tolerance and acceptance of differing views is always a plus.
    I may not like tattoos myself, and wouldn't particularly be attracted to someone with a lot of them/prominent ones (useful "filter" for me too, to put it in your terms), but at the same time I completely respect your right to do whatever you want to your own body.

But don't expect everyone else to like it is all :)

Yes, but I regret it
    And yet, it's apparently grand to slate "certain" men and women just because they don't agree with your choices.. bit of tolerance and acceptance of differing views is always a plus.
    I may not like tattoos myself, and wouldn't particularly be attracted to someone with a lot of them/prominent ones (useful "filter" for me too, to put it in your terms), but at the same time I completely respect your right to do whatever you want to your own body.

But don't expect everyone else to like it is all :)

What? Did I say you had to get tattoos?

Yes, I'm glad I got it

It sounds more like you're the one worrying about outward appearances and people's perceptions of them

Yes, but I regret it
    It sounds more like you're the one worrying about outward appearances and people's perceptions of them

Doesn't everyone?

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    Doesn't everyone?

Not really, each to their own etc.

Yes, but I regret it

Weed out? Very unfriendly choice of words there! But I get your point. And it works both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Yes, but I regret it
    I was born in Russia and moved to Éire when I was younger. I have the name of hometown in Russian tattooed on my left wrist to remind me of my origins.

Yes, but I regret it
    Not really, each to their own etc.

Oh no, good for anyone who truly doesn't. I do however. How other people perceive me is of concern to me.

Yes, but I regret it
    Weed out? Very unfriendly choice of words there! But I get your point. And it works both ways.

If you are one of those "tattoos look good in men, but only small, tasteful ones look OK on women" people, it's very much weeded out you are getting.

And if it's in a dating context, we would definitely be wasting each others time.

• Advertisement

I have one small tattoo on my right butt cheek. I won't be getting more and I'm glad I got it. If someone wants to cover themselves in tattoos that's up to them, but it's not for me.

Vast numbers of facial piercings are much more of a turn off, I'm not sure why - it's more a visceral reaction than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I always said if I got a tattoo it would be a w on each cheek of my ass, so when I bend over it'll be WOW .. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

No
    have a couple i got over 15 years ago on my arms, not too big and luckily plain black.
    No regrets, frankly i don't even see them anymore they are just there.
    I don't like ones people have on their necks or lower arms though but each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    I have no tattoos, and will never get one. I don't like the look of them, have never seen one that I thought was nice and I find them a turn-off. Each to their own, I'm sure those who are heavily tattooed wouldn't find my unblemished skin attractive either!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    But if you don't really like them why would you get one at all? Genuinely curious :)

I saw the same tattoo on someone else and it looked surprisingly nice on her. It's probably the only tattoo I've liked.

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    Don't have any yet, not sure if I ever will.
    I kinda like the idea of having a tattoo but can't think of anything I want badly enough to go out and get one. I wouldn't just get one for the sake of it, it would have to be something I really want.
    Maybe one day I'll have the lightbulb moment and know what I want to get done, but it's not a big deal if I don't ever get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    I've never understood why you'd want to permanently mark your body because of a temporary whim. It tells me you're someone who has no sense of the long-term. Someone who hasn't yet realised that everything is temporary, no matter how solid it might feel at any particular time.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Yes, but I regret it
    bnt wrote: »
    I've never understood why you'd want to permanently mark your body because of a temporary whim. It tells me you're someone who has no sense of the long-term. Someone who hasn't yet realised that everything is temporary, no matter how solid it might feel at any particular time.

You assume it to be temporary. It's OK for other people to not be you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Loads , chest , arms , shoulders and legs.
    From simple plain ones to intricate ones that took hours.

I got one covered up a few years ago but other than one that I like them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

No
    I have two. Was only 15 when I got one, so it's fairly childish. Don't regret them though. You forget they're there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement