Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have any tattoos?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Currently having mine removed by laser. 8 sessions and 600 yo yos. It belongs to a younger me and doesn't have the same meaning it used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yes, but I regret it
    So, just a simple "Yes/No" poll.

No, it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Currently having mine removed by laser. 8 sessions and 600 yo yos. It belongs to a younger me and doesn't have the same meaning it used to.

You're very honest and not making comment on people's choices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Yes, I'm glad I got it

does it actually remove them completely? Like is your skin as good as if it was never there in the first place, afterwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Yes, but I regret it
    does it actually remove them completely? Like is your skin as good as if it was never there in the first place, afterwards?

No. it basically just gets rid of the ink and you still have the mark of the tattoo.

You're very honest and not making comment on people's choices.

Well each to their own, I am sure people have tattoos that are personal to them.

No. it basically just gets rid of the ink and you still have the mark of the tattoo.

Don't know only two sessions but it's the picosure laser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

bnt wrote: »
    I've never understood why you'd want to permanently mark your body because of a temporary whim. It tells me you're someone who has no sense of the long-term. Someone who hasn't yet realised that everything is temporary, no matter how solid it might feel at any particular time.

*Life* is temporary... I think a sense of the long term would be more clued into that and wouldn't worry a damn about a little bit of ink scratched in a few square inches of skin that only an infinitessimally small number of people will ever even know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

No
    Got my first one only 6 weeks ago. Was always wanting to get one but wasn't sure exactly what to get so decided on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i had 5 i have 4 now cos I amalgamated a few into a sleeve over the past few years if that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

No
    Here's the story of one of mine.

Was 14 years old and drinking cans in a house.
    We were messing with Indian ink and I got MACK written across the top of my left arm and EI across the top of the other arm. The EI was meant to say EIRE but for some reason it didn't get finished.

So I ended up a few weeks later getting the EI covered up with a tattoo that was actually worse than just having EI written on the top of my arm!
    Bare in mind I was 14, I got an Irish flag with a dog in it. Absolutely terrible looking!!

2 years later I was 16 and finished off the MACK with more Indian ink, I put an ER at the end and lightning bolts above and below.
    It looks sh1te as well but I kinda like it 16 years later haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wouldn't get one myself but each to their own.

Used to go out with a girl who had one on her boob and another just above her ass, forget the name of the place she got them done in but they were well done in fairness.

When someone is paying big money to get them you want to be happy with the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

forget the name of the place she got them done in

It was her boob and just above her ass.

Yes, but I regret it
    RayM wrote: »

Strange name for a tattoo shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

RayM wrote: »

Your hilarious Ray, I just can't compete with you're razor sharp wit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Had a few of those bubblegum wrapper tattoos back in the day but they washed off in the bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

No
    I've most of my right leg done with black/grey realistic-style tattoos, red & yellow highlights in areas. Got it done 7 years ago and still love it to bits, am always getting compliments on it.
    Have a few other small ones, Latin on my wrist (family crest motto), bird on my elbow & some UV flowers & tribal/celtic style thing on my back. I'd get rid of the one on my back if anything, but don't dislike it, just wasn't properly thought about before I got it. However I don't have to look at it every day so I don't mind :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Yes, but I regret it
    If you are one of those "tattoos look good in men, but only small, tasteful ones look OK on women" people, it's very much weeded out you are getting.

And if it's in a dating context, we would definitely be wasting each others time.

Nah thats not me at all. I filter, or "weed out", based on personality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

I don't really like tattoos but I intend to have a tiny one at the back of my neck. A black celtic cross. It'll be hidden under my hair most of the time.

I think the leg tattoos and 'sleeves' destroy people. The actress who plays Demelza on Poldark is covered in them. Gilding the lily in the worst way ..

This is a very strange comment to make, you don't really like ink, but you want to put one on the back of your neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    Alpha_zero wrote: »
    This is a very strange comment to make, you don't really like ink, but you want to put one on the back of your neck!

I don't usually like tattoos but I saw one design I liked in a position I liked..it was the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

NikoTopps wrote: »
    I was born in Russia and moved to Éire when I was younger. I have the name of hometown in Russian tattooed on my left wrist to remind me of my origins.

You would have forgotten your origins without the ink?? Is is like the movie memento.

Yes, but I regret it
    Deedsie wrote: »
    Not to be in anyway judgemental, each to their own and all that. Never understood it, to me it's a waste of money and looking for attention. Some tattoos can be tasteful but some of them are horrendous. Particularly any political statement ones. The people I have seen with political tattoos more often than not seem insecure about themselves.

Just my opinion, genuinely don't mean to offend.

To be fair very few people get a tattoo for attention. For one thing, there's many less painful and more temporary ways of doing so... dye your hair luminous yellow would be one. It'll be all eyes on you.

I have ****ing Pikachu and all his evolutions on my left arm.. does it attract attention? Yes, occasionally. Did I do it for attention? No. it's just a consequence of the tattoos.. it's the same with my piercings as well.. having my lip pierced and a bar through my ear (google image scaffold bar) draws people's attention because it's not "the norm" but certainly people don't do it for attention. And as for a waste of money, your car could cost upwards of a few thousand, my tattoos cost around 80-100 each, my tattoos are permanent your car will only last a finite amount of time... as far as value goes, tattoos win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    To be fair very few people get a tattoo for attention. For one thing, there's many less painful and more temporary ways of doing so... dye your hair luminous yellow would be one. It'll be all eyes on you.

I have ****ing Pikachu and all his evolutions on my left arm.. does it attract attention? Yes, occasionally. Did I do it for attention? No. it's just a consequence of the tattoos.. it's the same with my piercings as well.. having my lip pierced and a bar through my ear (google image scaffold bar) draws people's attention because it's not "the norm" but certainly people don't do it for attention. And as for a waste of money, your car could cost upwards of a few thousand, my tattoos cost around 80-100 each, my tattoos are permanent your car will only last a finite amount of time... as far as value goes, tattoos win.

But the car does something useful.

Yes, but I regret it
    But the car does something useful.

And the tattoos can be something meaningful. Swings and roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    I don't atm nor do I think I will have one in the future. It wouldn't be my cup of tea to have one done, but I do appreciate a good looking tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Yes, but I regret it
    I have 7 tattoos and I love each one. It takes me a while to plan and then get a tattoo because I want to be sure it's the right tattoo at the right time in the right place.

I am planning my 8th tattoo now and hope to get it in February, it has been in the works for the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

No
    I have 7 tattoos and I love each one. It takes me a while to plan and then get a tattoo because I want to be sure it's the right tattoo at the right time in the right place.

I am planning my 8th tattoo now and hope to get it in February, it has been in the works for the last year.

What tattoos do you have

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yes, but I regret it
    Two full sleeves,most of my legs covered.Chest piece being designed at the minute.After that it's a full back piece.Then I'm running low on space!!!

As for getting them seeking attention...if that was the case I'd get the m done in a fully visible place.

If you saw me in my work suit you wouldn't know I even had one.I don't get them for someone else..I get tattooed for me.

Don't regret any of them.None of them have a "meaning" it's not like Miami ink where you have to have a special meaning!!!
    My tattoos are there because I liked the design..Nothing more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Yes, but I regret it
    I have two - or three but two merged together; one across my shoulder and the other on the inside of my forearm.

One done when I was 17, the other at 37. Love them both/all - absolutely zero regrets.
    And as I always say in these threads - I am delighted that they weed out certain men and women (mostly men frankly). If you don't like my outward appearance, who I am as a person is unlikely to appeal to you. So in that sense, my tattoos are the equivalent of "NO TIME WASTERS".

Harsh but I kinda know what you mean - I hear the "It's just scarring your body", "doing it for attention" and /or "passing phase" comments and just hear my mother...no chance I'm dating them after that! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Have 10, some small, some fairly big. I have A fair chunk of my lower legs done, I'll hopefully get them finished off over the years. I do have 1 on the back of my neck that I'd love to get covered up. I picked the wrong artist for it. Was supposed to say 'faith' but looks more like 'failte'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I've 13. Some tribal and different ones like Maori, Samoan, Celtic, Native American, some Irish quotes and other stuff. One or two regrets but I was young. One day il get them covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭cookiexx

Yes, but I regret it
    I have a baby one on my wrist, a heart and infinity symbol intertwined. Got it on the spur of the moment one snowy day when I lived abroad. always gives me a smile to think of that time so I'm glad I got it and it's sometimes a handy little conversational prop.

Wouldn't be into the big and very visible ones though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes, but I regret it
    Loads on both arms, shoulders and legs.

My leg tattoo's are my fav's ~ there's a Judo tattoo on one leg and Led Zepp's four symbols on the other.

I love a tattoo'd lady.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

No, tattoo's are just not for me.

I like my body as it is and do not wish to have anything added to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    If I had the money, I'd be investing in a tattoo removal clinic. I can see there being quite a demand for tattoo removal in the future.

Personally I don't like them and will never get any. Even if I did like tattoos, I'm not sure I'd get one. I get fed up of my hairstyle/clothes/jewellery/watch after a certain length of time and like a change. I don't like the permanency of a tattoo from that perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Yes, but I regret it
    jamesbere wrote: »
    What tattoos do you have

One of them is personal; the only people who have seen it are my artist and my close friends oh and my sport massage therapist. But the others are: maple leaf on my foot, cherry blossoms on my left forearm with my life motto, a Kanji symbol for water on my left wrist (older tattoo that I got combined with the cherry blossoms), a triskelion on my right wrist (my sister has the same on her left), a dragon on my right arm which I got last year and which is combined with an older tattoo (my first ever tattoo actually).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

No, never jumped on that bandwagon.

Yes, but I regret it
    Your Face wrote: »
    No, never jumped on that bandwagon.

Bandwagon? Oh dear.

Bandwagon? Oh dear.

Yes dear.

• Advertisement

Yes, but I regret it
    Yes dear.

Who dear? Me dear? Gay dear? No dear.

Who dear? Me dear? Gay dear? No dear.

I'm too dear for you dear.

Yes, but I regret it
    I'm too dear for you dear.

WHY YOU LITTLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yes, but I regret it
    Three.

Latest one was a portrait that was two sessions and 8 hours though.

If I had unlimited cash I'd have a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    None for me. The only style of tattoo I've ever liked is the watercolor color and even then, I can't think of anything I would want permanently etched onto my body, especially for that kind of money.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yes, but I regret it
    If I had the money, I'd be investing in a tattoo removal clinic. I can see there being quite a demand for tattoo removal in the future.

Demand for tattoos will always out weigh the demand for tattoos removal.
    Humans have been tattooed for thousands of years.And tattoos will be around as long as humans are around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yes, I'm glad I got it
    Nope, it's never appealed to me in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I like them and I'd like my own someday. I have the wording I want but can't decide on the lettering or placement.

I love sleeves, realism, black and white... Jay Freestyle has some beautiful watercolour tattoos.

Yes, but I regret it
    Have Western Europeans been tattooed for thousands of years? What is the cultural link between a person from an island in the North East Atlantic and Maori symbols or Asian symbols. I am genuinely curious, why would people choose symbols from a culture they are completely removed from.

Someone mentioned a triskelle tattoo now that I can kind of understand. It's a part of Gaelic, Celtic and Irish culture right up to today. Meaning is complex and individual.

Never got the Asian writing on an Irish person.

The words meant something and they liked the design. A tattoo doesn't need to make sense to YOU if it's on another person. I have two tattoos on either wrist one is:

"Long Time,
    Let's Walk,
    Let's Talk"

&

"it's better to have faith in something than none at all" both mean nothing to anyone else but they mean something to me. That's what matters.

Yes, but I regret it
    That's a fair point, just trying to understand the motivation I guess. It's definitely not for me. Some ancient symbols do mean a lot to me, and I look to them regularly. Just can't ever imagine wanting to get them tattooed onto my body.

I should caveat I don't have Asian symbols or Celtic tattoos (because I think they look awful) but again to each their own. You might get a Celtic cross I have a pikachu. Art is subjective. I like my lip pierced someone else might want their earlobes pierced and that's it! It's all swings and roundabouts. It's cool if you don't want one but I can't stand people who bitch about tattoos like it's something scumbags and biker gangs get done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Not anti tattoos or anything. Some are nice. But when they go wrong they seem to go disastrously wrong.
    I have a friend who got drunk in Lanzarote and woke up the next morning with a ladybird tattoo on her wrist.
    She wandered off on her own and the next thing she remembers is waking up in her room. She couldn't even say where she got it.
    It looks terrible. Like it was drawn on by a 4 year old child.

• Advertisement
Advertisement