Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The existence of extraterrestrial life

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I think what the Vatican said was along the lines of "If there is intelligent life out there, they may not be aware god created them" or some bull to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

There's also scale to consider - it could intelligent and ant sized or dinosaur sized.

The mothership could be the size of an M&M or the size of the moon.

It could just be software running on some kind of technology too.

There are literally infinite possibilities.

Yeah that's a huge point, if there are planets in the observable universe that are many times earths size, then what are there out in the unknown depths of space in regards to aliens physical size?

Space is the great unknown of our time and I really hope that NASA and the various agencies can get more funding in the coming years. I wish I could live forever in a way, just to see what we do and what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ted111 wrote: »
    Eh....DUH! :rolleyes: The aliens are from a contiguous universe.

So there is more than one universe????

Apparently ours is still expanding/growing so presumably it's expanding into theirs, they'll not be happy about that, I fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

So there is more than one universe????

Apparently ours is still expanding/growing so presumably it's expanding into theirs, they'll not be happy about that, I fear.

Our universe is expanding but not into anything. A common misconception. link

Hypothesised 'parallel' universe's would exist in other dimensions. So would not interact with our universe in space time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Your Face wrote: »
    I hope they're hot.

I think it is pretty safe to assume that if we ever find alien life there will be groups in our species where some people want to talk to them, some people want to subjugate them, some people will want to extort them, some people want to murder them all, some people will want to eat them, and..... yes..... some people will indeed want to find some way to have sex with them, regardless of what any orifices we find they have are actually for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

endacl wrote: »
    They never hit Ireland. Be grand.

The Blu-Ray has an extra scene in which they take out Coppers :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Hypothesised 'parallel' universe's would exist in other dimensions. So would not interact with our universe in space time.

That's not the only multi-verse theory. There's also ones where the big bang happened in another universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If interstellar travel is possible, even the "slow" kind nearly within the reach of Earth technology, then it would only take from 5 million to 50 million years to colonize the galaxy. This is relatively brief on a geological scale, let alone a cosmological one. Since there are many stars older than the Sun, and since intelligent life might have evolved earlier elsewhere, the question then becomes why the galaxy has not been colonized already. Even if colonization is impractical or undesirable to all alien civilizations, large-scale exploration of the galaxy could be possible by probes. These might leave detectable artifacts in the Solar System, such as old probes or evidence of mining activity, but none of these have been observed.
    There might not be other life forms in our Galaxy, so maybe that is why it hasn't been colonised yet.

That said, there are billions upon billions of other Galaxies that might have life forms in them. Some of them might be very well populated but that doesn't mean that we will ever meet anyone from there.

Imagine that a grain of sand was dropped in Africa and another one in the US. What's the chances of them being blown by the wind and ever touching off each other? That's our chances of meeting another life form. I'd say it's out there, but Earth will probably be long gone by the time another life form gets to pay a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So explain the contiguous universe theory?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think it is pretty safe to assume that if we ever find alien life there will be groups in our species where some people want to talk to them, some people want to subjugate them, some people will want to extort them, some people want to murder them all, some people will want to eat them, and..... yes..... some people will indeed want to find some way to have sex with them, regardless of what any orifices we find they have are actually for.

I want to do all of the above to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I am going to regret this..... but just to indulge my extreme masochist side..... in which particular order do you envision doing ALL of them?

I am going to regret this..... but just to indulge my extreme masochist side..... in which particular order do you envision doing ALL of them?

Id wager I'd be well out of order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

BattleCorp wrote: »
    There might not be other life forms in our Galaxy, so maybe that is why it hasn't been colonised yet.

That said, there are billions upon billions of other Galaxies that might have life forms in them. Some of them might be very well populated but that doesn't mean that we will ever meet anyone from there.

Imagine that a grain of sand was dropped in Africa and another one in the US. What's the chances of them being blown by the wind and ever touching off each other? That's our chances of meeting another life form. I'd say it's out there, but Earth will probably be long gone by the time another life form gets to pay a visit.

There is that and there is also the possibility that there are ancient alien probes and spacecraft floating about our solar system but just that we haven't discovered them yet. Our solar system is huge and we don't even know for sure how many planets it has. Maybe the aliens prefer gas giants like Jupiter or hot, carbon dioxide full planets like Venus and they couldn't be arsed with giving Earth more than a cursory glance through their version of the Hubble telescope. Maybe an advanced alien civilisation doesn't want us discovering them as it would interfere with us culturally and goes around cleaning them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Good to see the catholic church is trying to get a head start before Quantum Presbyterianism take hold.

I'll bet aliens wouldn't wear the poppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The church sticking their nose in as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Marvel and DC cinematic Universe's have got it spot on and they even have talking animals, supermen, hulks etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The people involved in this are in it for one thing, money. Pure and simple.

As I have said in the paranormal forum, with the amount of cctv and mobile phones now in the world, we should have decent footage of aliens and ghosts, if they existed. But all footage is ****.

Which makes me think they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Your Face wrote: »
    I hope they're hot.

Death by Snu Snu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

Has no one told these "God Fearing Aliens" about the Fermi Paradox yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Well we're probably about 60 million years behind the curve too, considering we had an Extinction Event on this here planet.

Nah, the extension event was good. Giant lizards were never going to do a whole lot.

The God/Vatican thing is weird though.

Can they be Christian aliens? Does that even make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Just the RC covering their bases in case aliens land and shrug all 12 of their shoulders when told god made them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Ah I'd love an aul alien visit. The ****e ye could talk about and learn with enough effort would be great.

I'd just be wary about a hyper advanced, space fairing race happening upon comparatively neanderthal rock dwellers killing each other over who's demanding the right pieces of paper for the **** they're sitting on...

The native Americans didn't fair too well when a comparatively hyper advanced sea fairing race found them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Unless there is a way found to allow matter to exceed the speed of light then it is very unlikely we humans will go to other inhabitable planets and be able to make it back to earth in one lifetime to give an account of what we met and how they thought etc.

It may not be practically possible to communicate or even recognise intelligent life on other planets.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Death by Snu Snu

If you're going to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

doolox wrote: »
    Unless there is a way found to allow matter to exceed the speed of light then it is very unlikely we humans will go to other inhabitable planets and be able to make it back to earth in one lifetime to give an account of what we met and how they thought etc.

It may not be practically possible to communicate or even recognise intelligent life on other planets.

Meh! Probably isn't that hard. We used to think that passing the sound barrier was impossible and before that speeds faster than a horse were considered wildly dangerous.

There's a fair old chance we're completely wrong about the speed of light being so problematic. They could be zipping around at warp 14 without any issues.

Advertisement