Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Closing your account

• 28-12-2016 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

I'm a sporadic boards user, don't log in for months at a time sometimes.

However every time I pop back, I'll check in on a thread I was following and inevitably see about two or three of the posters have a "closed account."

Why? Why go to the point of closing it instead of just fecking off and never posting again, if it's annoying you? Or why even do it in the first place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

To rereg of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Cuz the "Close account" button is THERE, duh...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭cookiexx

me_irl wrote: »
    To rereg of course!

Is this what people do? And why?

Flimpson wrote: »
    Cuz the "Close account" button is THERE, duh...!

All shiny and red!
    cookiexx wrote: »

Various reasons. Want a new persona. Just fed up of certain user(s)... Want a break online for a bit. Trolling.

Heard somewhere (probably down the pub... I forget) that the modern "leaving home" is closing your facebook account. It's like walking to the end of the street waiting for your folks to pick you up again before coming back and registering again. The metaphor is in there somewhere. I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Derisk identity theft by minimising active accounts around the web?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

I closed 3 accs the last few months but it was just to come back with a new name. Wasn't happy with the one I had so I tried again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I had a stalker who mods would ban, then he would re-reg, and it kept happening.
    I closed my account and started this one instead, and problem was solved.

it was just to come back with a new name. Wasn't happy with the one I had so I tried again.
    Same here. Too stingy to be Couldn't be arsed subscribing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Closing account is vanishing.

Well the appearance of it. Whole thread about it in feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Nice to wipe the slate clean.
    Make the stalkers work a bit harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Place hasn't been the same since DO'B bought a major shareholding last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

To rereg of course!

I'm guilty of this twice in my time on boards.

KC161 wrote: »
    I'm guilty of this twice in my time on boards.

And you can always tell.

The ones with low post count knowing EXACTLY to pop over to After Hours. :pac:

And you can always tell.

The ones with low post count knowing EXACTLY to pop over to After Hours. :pac:

I agree with you on that.

I'm on boards since 2012. Just can't stay away from the damn place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I've been here for years, and this is probably my 6th account? I'm due a change, used to like thinking up witty usernames and then closing after a year...I'm due a change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Some posters close their accounts when they get a few cards. They think they've a clean slate but if it's recent, they don't and the cards carry over. Others have so many cards and bans that changing accounts can mean some of these are lost, but most aren't so really it's not of much benefit.

@Atari Jaguar, you're a subscriber now... you could have changed your name if you subscribed under the previous accounts.

I guess that all makes sense. Especially the stalking :eek:

I guess it just seems to go against the grain of this being a "community" to me - I've seen a few "closed accounts" that have genuinely saddened me as I quite like the poster's personality or they were quite witty, funny etc and then they're just...GONE :(

....and then they're just...GONE :(

No, just uncle Pat comes back as aunt Patricia. That's all. :pac:

I guess that all makes sense. Especially the stalking :eek:

I guess it just seems to go against the grain of this being a "community" to me - I've seen a few "closed accounts" that have genuinely saddened me as I quite like the poster's personality or they were quite witty, funny etc and then they're just...GONE :(
    They're probably not though. :)

It's when someone regularly posts and then they just stop - mid thread, and the months pass - that's when I reckon they're truly gone, and possibly in the worst way. :-/

Apart from boards.ie employees who holds the longest active account? I've seen accounts as far back as May 1999.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I've been here for years, and this is probably my 6th account? I'm due a change, used to like thinking up witty usernames and then closing after a year...I'm due a change

Do you ever change character when opening a new account?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Some posters close their accounts when they get a few cards. They think they've a clean slate but if it's recent, they don't and the cards carry over. Others have so many cards and bans that changing accounts can mean some of these are lost, but most aren't so really it's not of much benefit.

@Atari Jaguar, you're a subscriber now... you could have changed your name if you subscribed under the previous accounts.

I didn't want to subscribe but some bastard had taken Atari Jaguar back in '02 made two posts and didn't log in since. Only way to get the name I wanted. Bah humbug!

Sam Kade wrote: »

Not for a while, no, creature of habit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I didn't want to subscribe but some bastard had taken Atari Jaguar back in '02 made two posts and didn't log in since. Only way to get the name I wanted. Bah humbug!

Should be an auto closing of accounts if not used after couple years.

Should be an auto closing of accounts if not used after couple years.

On the subscriber forum it's stickied that DeVore noticed a lot of ghost accounts coming back after massive hiatus. They weren't gonna let me change cos it was taken but were swayed by the fact it was likely someone set it up for a wee joke. Well who laughing now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sam Kade wrote: »

No, no he doesnt

Comes back the same as ever :pac:

Stheno wrote: »
    No, no he doesnt

Comes back the same as ever :pac:

Pink fairy thanks you
    :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apart from boards.ie employees who holds the longest active account? I've seen accounts as far back as May 1999.
    First thread from February 1998 - a few have had active accounts since '98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Place hasn't been the same since DO'B bought a major shareholding last year.

Does he really have a shareholding? Worrying if so given all his media interests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Beasty wrote: »

Thats very interesting a post in 1998 attracting 563 thanks (and counting) when thanks wasn't invented on this BB until over 10 years later :eek:

Some time travelling methinks.

Jesus, 19 years on Cloud is still active. I hadn't even made my confirmation back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Always thought if you closed an account you couldn't open another for certain period of time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Just get banned. Happens all the time.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gatling wrote: »
    Always thought if you closed an account you couldn't open another for certain period of time

Can't use the same email address for a while but there's no issue opening a new account after closing an old one so long as it wasn't banned

Jesus, 19 years on Cloud is still active. I hadn't even made my confirmation back then.

Cloud is one if the site's founders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

RobertKK wrote: »
    I had a stalker who mods would ban, then he would re-reg, and it kept happening.
    I closed my account and started this one instead, and problem was solved.

And now said stalker knows who you are again :)

Cloud is one if the site's founders

I know now

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Breslin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

I've never had the dubious pleasure of attracting a stalker.

This is my third account here. My first one, I didn't close but I lost the password and couldn't access as the email address I used to register it no longer exists.

The second I was posting too often and getting involved in silly political debates and ended up just closing it.

No stalker here either. What does one do to attract a stalker??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I've said it before - its attention seeking

• Advertisement

No stalker here either. What does one do to attract a stalker??

Tag you're stalked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I've seen people express an unpopular opinion which they get slated for so they delete their account. Then they re-register and state the exact same opinions and make it obvious who they are. I've never understood it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You can get banned very easily on boards. Clock up a few bans and you can get a siteban. So re-reg'ing is cleaning the slate.

s8n wrote: »
    I've said it before - its attention seeking
    Might have been for some (not everyone; as said, there are numerous reasons why) when it was a new thing, but it's a non issue now, so why would someone who does so think it'd draw attention?

I thought about closing my account and coming back as a real hard ass. Or a person with a magical wonderful life who posts about it regularly. I'd feel a bit weird though so I think I'll stick with good 'ol Persepoly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

I've closed a couple of accounts. Out of sheer temper, or for distance. Im close to doing it again just out of disinterest really. But like the op said...This time I'll back off and read a bit more and then decide.

It's not the account closers that are the issue really. Silently going and closing your account is pretty understandable. It's the flouncers. The ones who go on with the big goodbyes and then turn up a day later after enough 'ah no stay' posts have been accumulated. Just take a break from the place. It will be ok. You will survive! The world will just crack on without you lol.

Or even worse than that are the ones that come back under a new name and take swipes at people without the other person knowing it's them. That's just a coward who can give abuse but who can't take it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Does he really have a shareholding? Worrying if so given all his media interests.

No he doesn't, that was a joke.
    You can get banned very easily on boards. Clock up a few bans and you can get a siteban. So re-reg'ing is cleaning the slate.

No it isn't. Act the tit on a new account and it's usually not too difficult for the admins to find the previous account. Rack up enough mod actions over multiple accounts and the outcome will be the same as if you had just the one account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If you have a lot of warnings, infractions and stuff I'm guessing plenty jump before they are pushed. Open a new account with a clean record.
    Some members pick up stalkers. Have a long disagreement with someone and you might find that they follow you from thread to thread to annoy you.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Some members pick up stalkers. Have a long disagreement with someone and you might find that they follow you from thread to thread to annoy you.

Had that happen to me.. silly boy followed me into the tattoo and piercing forum and was bitching about a piercing I'd gotten, mod banned him and his trolling was noticed by mods and I believe he was sitebanned.

Advertisement