Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the houses in Limerick gone????

• 28-12-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys it's my first post (woohoo). So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Been looking for a house in limerick (no more than 15-20mins from the city) for the last 6 months but can't seem to find any. To be more specific a 3 bedroom house with a landlord who accepts HAP. According to hap rules, with the size of my family(2 adults 1 child) I'm restricted to €650 rent pm. I'd like to know if anyone was in a similar position and wat they did about this. I also read somewhere about a 20% allowance for certain circumstances (as in I'm entitled to €650 pm but in certain circumstances I could be allowed up to €780 pm) has anyone else heard of this ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I'm unsure on HAP rules but you will struggle with that budget to get a house. Limerick rents are a shambles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

IAO2017 wrote: »
    Hey guys it's my first post (woohoo). So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Been looking for a house in limerick (no more than 15-20mins from the city) for the last 6 months but can't seem to find any. To be more specific a 3 bedroom house with a landlord who accepts HAP. According to hap rules, with the size of my family(2 adults 1 child) I'm restricted to €650 rent pm. I'd like to know if anyone was in a similar position and wat they did about this. I also read somewhere about a 20% allowance for certain circumstances (as in I'm entitled to €650 pm but in certain circumstances I could be allowed up to €780 pm) has anyone else heard of this ???

Have you looked at Daft.ie ? If you have you will see that uou wont get much for that budget in an apartment let alone a 3 bedroom house. I think you need to more realistic with your search.

Also many landlords are not enthusiastic about taking a tenant with HAP so that will also be a problem for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 IAO2017

Yes I've searched on every rent website there is. There's nothing. When you say be more realistic what do you mean??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He/she means that rental prices have up due to supply v demand. Also as said a lot of landlords just don't want to deal with HAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

A 3 bed house in most places in Limerick will set you back between 900-1,200. At that then you will most likely have to end up on a shortlist before they decide who gets it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The houses didn't leave, the prices and demand just increased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The rents have really jumped in the last 18 months. You'd think there'd be a lot more available in a place with so many houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I agree with everyone here. I think you may need to push your budget a little further or lower what you are asking for (3 bedrooms). I rent a two bed apartment in a complex for 700 a month, excluding bills. I have friends renting smaller houses for up to 900.

You may get lucky if you try to push a little further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭Villa05

Irish_rat wrote:
    The houses didn't leave, the prices and demand just increased.

Quiet alot of corporation houses were knocked and not replaced ironically

Housing crisis Irish style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Limerick has the largest stock of social housing believe it or not.

I think if people were smart they would realise here that the idea of state supported housing for life is not sustainable. It is to be phased out. Policy could be 5 years support max. Fianna Fail for all that can be said about them were great to those on social welfare and those in the public service. Unfortunately it has created a culture of reliance rather than self sufficiency. Where else in the world can you collect money on a Friday, pay your rent, and have change, having not done a tap of work. It was great support. But bar supporting disabled persons and vulnerable groups, it is to be no more.

Advertisement