If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth audio with existing bookshelf speakers

Options
  • 28-12-2016 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

after demise of our last working CD player I have completed the move to streaming music only. The CDs are now in the attic and I'm looking for a Bluetooth amp to connect to my existing Gale Mini Monitor bookshelf speakers.

My only requirements are bluetooth to connect to the Spotify on Android and Toslink or RCA for connecting TV to the amp. Small size and understated looks would be a definite bonus. Don't necessarily need a CD or tuner.

Something like Denon PMA-50 would probably do what I need but what would you recommend? We live in a semi-d so don't need lots of output power (true 50 watts/ch would be already way excess of what I can use).

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

samih wrote: »
    Hi there,

after demise of our last working CD player I have completed the move to streaming music only. The CDs are now in the attic and I'm looking for a Bluetooth amp to connect to my existing Gale Mini Monitor bookshelf speakers.

My only requirements are bluetooth to connect to the Spotify on Android and Toslink or RCA for connecting TV to the amp. Small size and understated looks would be a definite bonus. Don't necessarily need a CD or tuner.

Something like Denon PMA-50 would probably do what I need but what would you recommend? We live in a semi-d so don't need lots of output power (true 50 watts/ch would be already way excess of what I can use).
    Hi samih,

ahhh Gale Mini Monitors, what classic little speakers!

OK if it was me I wouldnt go mad but I would get a decent amp - I would go for the Yamaha RS202D

The RS202 is a great Stereo Receiver ( it includes a tuner with DAB & FM) and of course its bluetooth.

It does not have optical input but it does have plenty of analogue inputs:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202211-rs202d.aspx

Its now just £179 / €229 ( euro price is inc delivery)

If you wanted something really compact and you were streamtastic - and wanted something ultra compact then how about the Denon HEOS AMp ( the new HS2 Version) - its sounds pretty great - it is powerful but your Gales will be well able for it - its really V V V compact ( I have a couple at ho,e myself and I love them) best of all although its a streamer it has analogue inputs and digital inputs ( and a sub output!) - the HEOS controller app is now really excellent!

Best of all is that it is Bluetooth AND network capable so you really do get the best of both worlds.

It also has USB input and you can connect a HDD up to it and stream files across your network..
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202147-amp-hs2.aspx

The Heos HS2 Amp is now just £399 / €449

we do also have the PMA50 available at £319 / €399

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Cheers, the HEOS looks really interesting although it may be overkill for what I need. Our house cannot be described as mansion so multiroom is not much needed. I'm moving away from traditional big boxes so the RS202 unfortunately is out. It really looks like a bargain if you're looking for traditional HiFi format and are happy with analogue only inputs.

How do Yamaha CRXN470D or Denon RCDN9 compare with the HEOS, multiroom excepted? What's the build quality like on those? Good to know that you can also get the PMA50 if needed. I really like the fact that it tries to be bit minimalistic and HiFi.

PS. Yeah, Gales are a class piece of kit in the world of plastique.

Cheers, the HEOS looks really interesting although it may be overkill for what I need. Our house cannot be described as mansion so multiroom is not much needed. I'm moving away from traditional big boxes so the RS202 unfortunately is out. It really looks like a bargain if you're looking for traditional HiFi format and are happy with analogue only inputs.

How do Yamaha CRXN470D or Denon RCDN9 compare with the HEOS, multiroom excepted? What's the build quality like on those? Good to know that you can also get the PMA50 if needed. I really like the fact that it tries to be bit minimalistic and HiFi.

PS. Yeah, Gales are a class piece of kit in the world of plastique.
    PMA50 is available from local stock for immediate despatch

RCDN9 wont give you the same audio quality as the PMA50 - but then it does have other features like a tuner / CD etc ( which you essentially dont need!)

Yamaha CRXN470 is a really beautiful unit and is really well built and sounds great:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202264-black-317098.aspx

I could do one at £279  / €349 for you delivered :) - lots in stock :) :)

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Would a chromecast audio be sufficient?

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Would a chromecast audio be sufficient?
    Chromecast is great but its not Bluetooth and it also needs to plug into an amplifier ..

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

Tempting John. I might come to take a look at this and the PMA in person maybe weekend next and bring home the one that more talks to me... The Denon is more powerful, right, but has absolutely no support for streaming while having digital inputs which the Yam doesn't do.

Decisions decisions but that's half the fun!

Chromecast audio is a neat piece of kit alright. Sound quality might be slightly better than with the BT. But I don't want one with this setup.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Tempting John. I might come to take a look at this and the PMA in person maybe weekend next and bring home the one that more talks to me... The Denon is more powerful, right, but has absolutely no support for streaming while having digital inputs which the Yam doesn't do.

Decisions decisions but that's half the fun!
    Hi Samih.

No problem at all.

Drop us a PM when you know what day you are going to call and we can ensure we have the kit for you to play with :D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.