Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words that are offensive such as 'Colored', 'Handicapped etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Probably similar sort of reason why native americans who are brown skinned were called Red Indians or redskins or the red race for a long time due to reddish pigments beneath their skin

The term 'Red Indian' came about because the first native people the European settlers encountered in Newfoundland used to cover their bodies with a natural red ochre substance, hence they actually were 'red'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭WildSaffron

I like being called "black" - it's a descriptive term (not quite accurate as I am brown) that encompasses my race. White people are not really white - kind of pinkish ....but you get what I mean, I hope.

To see people fumbling around awkwardly trying to say "dark lady", "coloured lady" etc is embarrassing for both parties involved. Just say "black" without hate or derogation and we will get on great! :D

The term "coloured" was one that was used in apartheid South Africa and hence why some black people find it uncomfortable.

The same with "half-caste" - it was illegal at one point for black and white people to marry / have children so the term was a derogatory one. See Trevor Noah "Born a Crime" and some of his standup ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XizTsuxYtGk )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The question is why is disability a better term?

It's better because it's the clinical term and it's the term that describes the condition with best accuracy. Handicap was the most accurate description. then our understanding of the conditions changed so the word used to describe them changed.
    I guarantee you it will be considered un-pc sometime.

So what if it's considered un-pc in the future it will because out understanding will have changed. We learn more about these disorders all the time. It's a positive thing when we refine our understanding of any medical conditions. Changing the term is a sign that our understanding has changed so much that the old term can't describe the new understanding.

So we leave the old understanding with the old term and redefine the new understanding with a new term.

To you and me it's an interesting game to wonder whether handicapped or disabled sounds better it worse. But the import point for me is the actual meanings of the words. I don't really care how handicapped or disabled sounds in general speech because in the context of disability, handicapped and disabled have specific meanings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Is it still ok to call someone who can't see, blind?

Or someone who can't hear, deaf?

Only if you say they are "A person with deaf".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

They used blue because there isn't an Irish word for navy. The question is why they didn't translate black as dubh in this case.

Dubhghorm ........... look it up. ;)

20 years ago there was a new term in common use 'personal computer's, then came laptops, hen smartphones then tablets. Those were all new terms which we all learned. The problem arrises when people Become married to the terms they're comfortable with.

Nonsense ......... pc's are still called pc's, laptops are still called laptops, smartphones are smartphones and tablets are tablets ........ the words haven't changed "meaning", the devices have changed and so they needed a new word to describe them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

anewme wrote: »
    So is black not to be used today as well?

What day is it?

Wait, so now one is a "social justice warrior*" if they don't like being referred to as a handicap or a retard? Do you not think that people that have various disabilities don't have enough extra obstacles to overcome without being spoken about as if all they are is a mobile disability? How do you think that this is "treating someone with respect" at all?

And no, this is not the same thing as describing someone's specific needs or issues.

We really need a term for people who are too lazy/utterly selfish not to be horrible to other people.

*Question - do you actually know what the term means? Does anyone at this point or is it just a handy term to throw at "ugh, this person wants me to think of -other people-? How -awful-!"

Also, one lad in a wheelchair may hate the word "disabled" and prefer the word "handicapped" whilst another lad in a wheelchair might despise the word "handicapped" but is ok with being called "disabled" ........... and there will be another lad in a wheelchair who doesn't like either "handicapped" or "disabled" or the latest pc "acceptable" term.
    The point I'm making is is that people in wheelchairs (for example) are all individuals with individual opinions so it's therefore impossible to come up with a term to use that they'll all be happy with .......... and even if we do find a universally acceptable term to use there still be some d*ckhead who comes along and be offended on behalf of people in wheelchairs and the whole rigmarole starts all over again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Also, one lad in a wheelchair may hate the word "disabled" and prefer the word "handicapped" whilst another lad in a wheelchair might despise the word "handicapped" but is ok with being called "disabled" ........... and there will be another lad in a wheelchair who doesn't like either "handicapped" or "disabled" or the latest pc "acceptable" term.
    The point I'm making is is that people in wheelchairs (for example) are all individuals with individual opinions so it's therefore impossible to come up with a term to use that they'll all be happy with .......... and even if we do find a universally acceptable term to use there still be some d*ckhead who comes along and be offended on behalf of people in wheelchairs and the whole rigmarole starts all over again!

Okay, let's get back to first principles.

Is it okay to call a black person a n*gger? If not, why not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that's all.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

I was on a job, in a house, one night. There was a county councillor and a member of the press present.

Something mad came to light, in the kitchen. The residents being in another room, well out of earshot.

My normal reaction would have been to say; " Are these people f**king lunatics, or what?! "

As it was, as I was there in a professional capacity, and in the company of who I was, I managed to think first and asked; " Umm ..... Is there a history of mental health, in this household? "

At which the councillor looked extremely uncomfortable. And uttered: " Err ..... We prefer to call is 'Learning Disabilities', these days. "

I gave up, at that point. There was a dead f**king rat on the kitchen counter. And this c*** was picking me up on calling these head bangers " Mental "?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Omackeral wrote: »
    I've always known not to use the term 'coloured girl/guy' when referring to a black person but recently I found out on a thread here that 'handicapped' is not acceptable. Is this definitely true? I guess 'disabled' is probably more acceptable, or maybe 'differently abled', although that's a bit of a mouthful. Are there any words that you found out aren't acceptable and how did you discover it?

fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Stigura wrote: »
    I was on a job, in a house, one night. There was a county councillor and a member of the press present.

Something mad came to light, in the kitchen. The residents being in another room, well out of earshot.

My normal reaction would have been to say; " Are these people f**king lunatics, or what?! "

As it was, as I was there in a professional capacity, and in the company of who I was, I managed to think first and asked; " Umm ..... Is there a history of mental health, in this household? "

At which the councillor looked extremely uncomfortable. And uttered: " Err ..... We prefer to call is 'Learning Disabilities', these days. "

I gave up, at that point. There was a dead f**king rat on the kitchen counter. And this c*** was picking me up on calling these head bangers " Mental "?!

Did they own a cat?

Did they own a cat?

Nope. It's a long story. Turns out they Were barking though. Lovely couple. Just barking.

Nope. It's a long story. Turns out they Were barking though. Lovely couple. Just barking.

I just wondered ecause my cat brought a rat into the kitchen yesterday, via the window next to the sink. If I hadn't been standing right there she could have dropped it anywhere. I would have found it while tidying but what if a visitor had called and the cat had left it inside the door, or somewhere I mightn't immediately notice.

It sounds like there's a lot more to the story from the people you describe, though.

(No I don't have a rat infestation..it's the countryside)

• Advertisement

Okay, let's get back to first principles.

Is it okay to call a black person a n*gger? If not, why not?

Usually not as the intent, in most cases, is to offend ......... having said that, I worked with a black lad for 8/9 years and I greeted him every morning with "What's up n*gger!" which was a shared joke between us, obviously.

Usually not as the intent, in most cases, is to offend ......... having said that, I worked with a black lad for 8/9 years and I greeted him every morning with "What's up n*gger!" which was a shared joke between us, obviously.

Oh, yeah, context and all. Handicap and retard are both usually used in an insulting way as well, hence why people often don't like being referred to in that way.

It kinda goes from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Muppet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

I just wondered ecause my cat brought a rat into the kitchen yesterday, via the window next to the sink. If I hadn't been standing right there she could have dropped it anywhere. I would have found it while tidying but what if a visitor had called and the cat had left it inside the door, or somewhere I mightn't immediately notice.

It sounds like there's a lot more to the story from the people you describe, though.

(No I don't have a rat infestation..it's the countryside)

Thought I was in the wrong thread for a minute :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That's the same 'joke' told over 2000 mornings every time ye met. Jeez, I'd feel like bill murry meeting ned ryarsen in groundhog day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭SwanBot

Stuffed: Ate too much in America, but sexually satisfied in Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

I'm disabled and I find handicapped offensive but I've read now that disabled is offensive and it should be physically challenged or differently abled which is taken the piss

I'm " Disabled ". And, if ye called me Handicapped, I'd likely tell ye to go f**k yeself.

But, then; I don't sit in a wheelchair or have a false limb. Because I'm gone up top. My disability doesn't show. So, people assume there's nothing wrong with me. Little do they know! :cool:

" Handicapped " though? Like I'm some sort of f**king mong?! Get te f**f!

" Shot to f**king ribbons "? Sure. Fine. All day :)

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    That's the same 'joke' told over 2000 mornings every time ye met. Jeez, I'd feel like bill murry meeting ned ryarsen in groundhog day.

Ah but the joke was on those around us who didn't know it was a joke ........ in any case, I say "good morning" now to the same people every day as I'm sure you do ........ do you feel like Bill Murray? :)

I'm " Disabled ". And, if ye called me Handicapped, I'd likely tell ye to go f**k yeself.

But, then; I don't sit in a wheelchair or have a false limb. Because I'm gone up top. My disability doesn't show. So, people assume there's nothing wrong with me. Little do they know! :cool:

" Handicapped " though? Like I'm some sort of f**king mong?! Get te f**f!

" Shot to f**king ribbons "? Sure. Fine. All day :)

A disabled person using the derogatory word "mong" ......... love it!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

The term handicapped has evolved to become an offensive word (to some)

A member of my family used to prefer the word as he said it implied that whenever he had achieved something he had achieved it despite being at a disadvantage to most of the population. A bit like when a handicapped racehorse wins a race despite having to carry more weight than the others. He always saw it as a positive term and found it much more difficult when others failed to acknowledge or appreciate his "handicap".

Attitudes are much more important than the choice of words.

Oh, yeah, context and all. Handicap and retard are both usually used in an insulting way as well.

The first one really isn't and I don't believe you believe that.

Maybe it's a regional thing. I have heard Limerick lads calling other lads a feckin' handicap.

I've heard lads call eachother "handicap", "capper", "window-licker" etc. but they would never dream of saying to a disabled person as they use those words in jest to their friends if/when said friend does something stupid ......... they'd also give out about some "pr*ck using the handicap space" in a car-park and wouldn't believe they were insulting/offending anybody (apart from the "pr*ck", obviously) when saying it ......... context and intent is very relevant when using these words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I don't find queer offensive, I don't like fággot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

MadDog76 wrote:
    Nonsense ......... pc's are still called pc's, laptops are still called laptops, smartphones are smartphones and tablets are tablets ........ the words haven't changed "meaning", the devices have changed and so they needed a new word to describe them.

Yes so we learned the new words with no trouble at all. Exactly the same way there's no trouble changing from using mongoloid to a new word.

Do you have great difficulty learning new words?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Spa, Mong, Crip, Wog, Fag, etc all great fun in the school yard no doubt!

..but not in the adult world.

It may well be regional, but yes, it's a term I absolutely have heard (Waterford/Cork region). I think it is dying out now, but so's retard, fortunately. Retard's got longer left in it, but I'm not lying to you.

Actually, for a while I'd go so far as to say that "handicap" as an insult was more prevalent for a period (in my experience) than "retard".

Not exactly the most amazing source in the ever, but
    http://www.slang.ie/index.php?entryid=10369
    Slang is usually hard to track and pinpoint though, so this is probably the best I can do to support my comment.

None of these words are exactly charming, but I've always found retard very harsh sounding..
    People seem to think only people with disabilities or people who have relatives with disabilities would be bothered by these words being misused.

Yes so we learned the new words with no trouble at all. Exactly the same way there's no trouble changing from using mongoloid to a new word.

Are you able to spell 'condescending' all on your own. Or 'disingenuous'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

I would prefer not to hear handicapped but it was used until mid 90s.
    When I went to Lourdes in 91 we were Irish handicapped association
    Retard and spa are a no
    But then again spa means spastic and we still say spasms or spastic reflexes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

'Nuthouse' is one I think that's not Pc anymore

Also 'Chief' seems to be more a term of abuse these days than a rank

smilerf wrote: »
    But then again spa means spastic and we still say spasms or spastic reflexes

Only to describe a physical experience, which seems legitimate and harmless to me.

Calling a person a spa is a bit different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

'Rehab' is a word I hear bandied about by the younger generation as in you're a Rehab, she's a Rehab or they're a bunch of Rehabs. I think it might just be a Midland thing.

I do find it offensive btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Anyone who uses those overly harsh and venomous insults without as much as a second though such as Spa, retard, queer, fagg!t etc are always almost without fail horrible people , so its a good way of making themselves known as somebody you don't want to associate with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

wakka12 wrote: »
    Anyone who uses those overly harsh and venomous insults without as much as a second though such as Spa, retard, queer, fagg!t etc are always almost without fail horrible people , so its a good way of making themselves known as somebody you don't want to associate with

I'm quite satisfied that I have never, not even in my own head, ever used any of those words to describe anyone, let alone attack anyone.
    I find the word c**t covers a multitude.
    It is such a terrible insult, dontcha think?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Saipanne wrote: »
    It's nearly impossible to know what to say these days. I try avoid racial adjectives when describing folk. Safest policy.
    Except when there are reports of missing people. Blonde is a very useful description. But if someone is dark skinned it can't be mentioned.

Caucasian isn't a good word to describe celts. Head shape is wrong etc.

But the usage of words is what makes them offensive. Banning words just means new ones get used instead, ones that may slip under the radar.

New words for new things is one thing, you were suggesting we change the meaning of old words to describe new items which is just ridiculous .......... as is your argument .......... do you have difficulty accepting you're wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

It's different saying "this is my baby who has Down Syndrome / autism / aspergers etc" than saying "this is my autistic / downs / aspergers child"

It's a difference which was highlighted to me earlier in the year by the Special Needs Unit in a school. Even that language is changing - the children aren't referred to as Special needs kids, but kids with special needs.

If you look at the many blogs you will find that most of the autistic bloggers prefer first person identification. They think this "with autism " is a load of bollocking. Look up the Bull**** Fairy.
    Spastic and retarded are medical terms yet if used in the correct context in conversation you're the worst in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Spastic and retarded are medical terms but are NOT used to describe people in a medical context, ie; you can have retarded growth of a tumour or whatnot but a modern medical doctor would never describe a patient as retarded.

Don't twist things in your post to make it sound like doctors are roaming around calling patients spastic or retarded as a way to describe their mental or physical capability.

• Advertisement

Crea wrote: »
    If you look at the many blogs you will find that most of the autistic bloggers prefer first person identification. They think this "with autism " is a load of bollocking. Look up the Bull**** Fairy.
    Spastic and retarded are medical terms yet if used in the correct context in conversation you're the worst in the world

If used in the correct context nobody cares, but theres very very few contexts where it would be correct to use the words.

Doctors won't say that someone is retarded because that's too vague. They will talk about retarded mental and physical development.
    Same with Spastic. Only muscles can be Spastic. People can't be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

The fact you had to be told that calling a person handicapped in 2016 is ridiculous.

http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=69361

Someone with an amputation a cripple?
    I'm a Cripple.
    At least I've had bits cut of me.
    Dosent bother me the word.

Then I'm not a sensitive wee flower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

getzls wrote: »
    The fact you had to be told that calling a person handicapped in 2016 is ridiculous.

http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=69361

Someone with an amputation a cripple?
    I'm a Cripple.
    At least I've had bits cut of me.
    Dosent bother me the word.

Then I'm not a sensitive wee flower.

Either am I but as someone who is technically classed as having a disability I wouldn't appreciate being called retarded or handicapped. Different strokes I guess.

Isn't the word disability too vague though?
    It can describe someone who is blind/ autistic/intellectual disability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement