Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

year two of growing

Options
  • 28-12-2016 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

i planted flowers for the first time last year in a nice 40ft border that i have inside the wall. i planted 3 roses, a hydrangae and 2 evergreens

the greens and roses bloomed beatifully throughout the year and i was very happy with them. i planted the hydrangae late in hte year and the frost killed hte blooms but i expect it come back this year

anyway, what i wanted to know was what work would i need to do this year ? i will dig the soil from time to time as usual to let it breathe but do i need to add more compost etc to the flowers or should they just grow away nicely again without any help ?

thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's never any harm to mulch and feed. Roses, in particular, are hungry feeders.

Make sure to get the pruning right on the roses as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi everyone

i planted flowers for the first time last year in a nice 40ft border that i have inside the wall. i planted 3 roses, a hydrangae and 2 evergreens

the greens and roses bloomed beatifully throughout the year and i was very happy with them. i planted the hydrangae late in hte year and the frost killed hte blooms but i expect it come back this year

anyway, what i wanted to know was what work would i need to do this year ? i will dig the soil from time to time as usual to let it breathe but do i need to add more compost etc to the flowers or should they just grow away nicely again without any help ?

thanks for any help

Keep it weed free

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

It's never any harm to mulch and feed. Roses, in particular, are hungry feeders.

Make sure to get the pruning right on the roses as well.

how can i make sure to get it right ? i generally just cut off the dead heads

how can i make sure to get it right ? i generally just cut off the dead heads

They need pruning back, if bush roses, to outward facing buds. Have a look on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

They need pruning back, if bush roses, to outward facing buds. Have a look on YouTube.

It depends on the variety of rose, alot of the bog standard ones can be pruned like any other shrub.

• Advertisement

It depends on the variety of rose, alot of the bog standard ones can be pruned like any other shrub.

If you say so but I believe hybrid tea and florabuna roses need proper pruning. I shall continue as I have always pruned for over 50 years of rose growing. Old dinosaur I know, but it has worked well for me.

these are climbing roses. does that differ ?

these are climbing roses. does that differ ?

Between now and the end of February remove dead, diseased or dying branches and shorten, then tie up, any long whippy stems.

ok thanks. what about the hydrangae ? the heads are dead and the stems look dead too but there are green buds on the stems
    should i cut off the heads ?

ok thanks. what about the hydrangae ? the heads are dead and the stems look dead too but there are green buds on the stems
    should i cut off the heads ?

When frosts have passed cut back any dead wood to a bud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement