Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If a credit card it reported missing, will the re-issue have the same number?

• 28-12-2016 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hey,

Title pretty much says it all.

I know for sure the expiry date and cvs numbers will change on the re-issued card.. but will the long number stay the same or be different? Bank is AIB.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

New card, new number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

My experience with Tesco a few years back was a new number but try posting your question in the Ask AIB forum and the reps will be able to tell you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Renewed: Same
    Cancelled and Reissued: Different

The first 8+ digits will be the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Jasonsc

Interesting! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You may be able to continue to use the old number as a reference when paying by electronic transfer, I know that my card number changed a few times in short order - it was used fraudulently which was detected by the bank so they cancelled my first card, issued a second card which got 'lost' in the post so they issued a third card but I never had to change the 'account number' on the electronic transfer which still uses the original card number.

For every other purpose, you will have to notify all of the service providers who bill you via the CC, either monthly or when your balance goes below a certain threshold - the likes of parkingtag.ie and if you have a tag for toll roads and bridges, don't forget them. Look back over your last few CC bills and make sure you haven't forgotten anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ED E wrote: »
    Renewed: Same
    Cancelled and Reissued: Different

The first 8+ digits will be the same though.

It is the first six will remain the same.

Some banks will reissue the card with the same number, or give you the option of a changed numbers. This happened me once, I knew the card was in the house "somewhere" but could not find it, so i had to ask for a new one, I was happy to keep the long number. It did "find" the origional card two years later mixed with a pile of bills.

Advertisement