Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem

Options
  • 28-12-2016 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi

I have a netgear d7000 modem,when switched on,all the lights are on as they
    Should,I have wifi on phones,iPad and skybox etc but no internet on my PC
    It's wired by cable to modem

Sometimes after I switch on I might have internet on the pc for 2 minutes but then nothing,but internet still working on wifi on phones etc

When I manage to do a line speed test I'm getting 3.45mbs which is good for us but then was dropping to 0.15etc but wifi still working away

Any ideas??
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Not sure if it might be affected by the serious vulnerability that was recently exposed in the Netgear line.

Try this link and see if you get a page that tells you if you are vulnerable:
    http://www.routerlogin.net/cgi-bin/;echo$IFS'Vulnerable

If you are, then reboot the router and as soon as it is back up, go to this link:
    http://www.routerlogin.net/cgi-bin/;killall$IFS'httpd

This will kill the vulnerable process, but it also takes down your ability to access the web management console for the router. Rebooting will restore it. See how things go and if it stays working, then go look for firmware upgrades from Netgear.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭porker36

Hi tried them but just getting 404 not found,would it be a link between
    Computer and modem when the modem wifi works perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT sounds like you mean you can pick up the modem wifi signal.
    make sure the telephone cable is fully plugged in to the landline phone socket and the Other end of the phone cable is all the way in to the router /modem phone line IN socket.
    switch off the router with the power button, turn it on after 2 minutes .
    wait 10 minutes to see does it provide an internet signal.
    the router send s a wifi signal ,whether the phone line is plugged in or not.
    all that means is your router is working ,
    when powered on it goes thru a startup and trys to obtain an ip adress
    from your isp provider ,
    IF it detects a phone signal from the landline socket .
    it will send a wifi signal even if the phone line is plugged out
    .and theres no dial tone.

You can test the phone cable by plugging in a phone instead of the router/modem and see if you get a dial tone .

maybe you mean the modem.router is connected to a cable,
    As opposed to a phone line,
    eg your broadband is provided by a tv company .
    So switch off the router, wait 3 minutes and turn it on again.

Advertisement