Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dear God - Please Help

Options
  • 28-12-2016 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

So... after literally years of begging & cajoling - work finally gave me a laptop & remote access. It's a HP EliteBook. Today, it slipped down between the arm and the seat of my armchair at home & got well & truly wedged. It took a bit of manhandling to extricate it, and in the process, a sort of mesh filter at the back, right in the centre of the vent thing got mangled. There was a nail exposed, which caused the damage. The machine won't turn on now. Is this fixable, or should I hand in my notice?

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Can you take a photo of the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Oh this gets worse.... I've taken a photo. How do I put it on here? How do I get a URL? Sorry. I'm in absolute panic mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Ok.

Admittedly, the quality of my solution will be ropey:

OP: Go to YouTube and in the YouTube search box type in the Model of your HP Elite book, the exact model.

What YOU are hoping for here is finding a video on how to fix a machine in this state - might be unlikely, but I thought I'd throw that out.

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Oh this gets worse.... I've taken a photo. How do I put it on here? How do I get a URL? Sorry. I'm in absolute panic mode.

http://tinypic.com/

Choose file, enter the words and it should give you a URL to post here

I will happily pay to have it fixed. Right now, I'm just looking for reassurance that it's fixable.... anybody know?

• Advertisement

I will happily pay to have it fixed. Right now, I'm just looking for reassurance that it's fixable.... anybody know?

It's very likely fixable. It sounds like very minor damage, but a photo would help to determine how bad it is. It sounds minor but could be 100x worse.

Tech savvy offspring on way home now. He will post pic... please keep an eye on here & give me your opinion. Many thanks in advance.

OP when you plug it into the charger does it show a charging light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

What model elitebook is it?

Its possible that the damaged vent is stopping the fan spinning.Is there anything at all happening when you try turning it on?

• Advertisement

OP when you plug it into the charger does it show a charging light?

Nope.

Thank you guys. Offspring says Motherboard is knackered. Looks like I'll be joining the ranks of the unemployed. FFS. Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Thank you guys. Offspring says Motherboard is knackered. Looks like I'll be joining the ranks of the unemployed. FFS. Gutted.

Can you pass it off as damage under warranty and not say exactly what happened. If the pc is new then it will have warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

What model is it? Just buy a new one if worst comes to the worst? Might even get one second hand.

If its just the motherboard you should be able to salvage the HDD - so you should still be able to access your files if thats a concern.

Do you connect to work via VPN? Depending on how its configured you might be able to still use the VPN and work as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Ok, it's probably not f*cked. You're clearly not in the position to make that call. Bring it into a laptop repair place and see if they can do anything for you.

Yeah I was gonna say when it didn't get power it was probably motherboard. Repairing it isn't worth the effort and cost to be honest. You'd nearly buy a new one for the cost, but just tell your boss what happened. He can't fire you because of an accident even if he wanted to.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Can you pass it off as damage under warranty and not say exactly what happened. If the pc is new then it will have warranty.

Not a hope of getting away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

you could buy the same model on adverts.ie ,
    Then just swap in the hardrive .
    And it,ll load up all your software and data .
    most laptops are 300 euro approx.
    Takes maybe 10 minutes to swap around a hardrive.
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_hp+elite+book/
    make sure its the same model.
    model no will be written on the top or underside ,
    eg hp elitebook model xxxx
    Plug out power cable, turn off power,before opening the drive acess cover.

depending on the model a replacement board may be got for as little as €50.It might also be the charging socket if it was plugged in when it got stuck in the chair.I would be surprised if the board got damaged tbh.

Not a hope of getting away with that.

That would depend on the model/how old it is/the number of machines the employer has.

I have found from experience with hp they can be very forgiving when it comes to physical damage compared to other manufacturers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Frist breath ......... now clam down.If you have a company help desk call them frist. Explain what happen . I work in Tech support and can assure most IT have spare or loner laptops. If the mother bord damage and is by accident they should be able to replace and just swap out the hard drive.

Also while I know your all try to help but suggesting that the OP replace with one one adverts would probably break the OP IT security policy and the defiantly get them fired.**** happen that what IT help desk is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joe Chang

Do you still have warranty if so then send it to the service center.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i Think he needs a hp laptop to do his job, sending it to a service centre it could take a week plus to come back.
    Look on goldenpage.ie laptop repairs in your locality.
    i know people who work from home ,they do tech support ,
    the need a pc or laptop 24/7 with web acess .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

riclad wrote: »
    i Think he needs a hp laptop to do his job, sending it to a service centre it could take a week plus to come back.
    Look on goldenpage.ie laptop repairs in your locality.
    i know people who work from home ,they do tech support ,
    the need a pc or laptop 24/7 with web acess .
    riclad wrote: »
    you could buy the same model on adverts.ie ,
    Then just swap in the hardrive .
    And it,ll load up all your software and data .
    most laptops are 300 euro approx.
    Takes maybe 10 minutes to swap around a hardrive.
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_hp+elite+book/
    make sure its the same model.
    model no will be written on the top or underside ,
    eg hp elitebook model xxxx
    Plug out power cable, turn off power,before opening the drive acess cover.

DONT FOLLOW THE ABOVE ADVICE, ITS 100% WRONG!

Firstly You will not be fired because you broke a laptop. You could take a legal case against them. Best thing to do is be honest with your Boss.

Secondly don't bring it to a repair center. This is a major NoNo and bringing your laptop to one of these could lose you your job.

Thirdly - Your work should have a service desk that will be able to advise you to drop it into them and get a spare. If not your boss should be able to advise on the third party company that they use to look after I.T equipment.

Don't Panic, it happens! This is coming from someone working in I.T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Jodotman wrote: »

Firstly You will not be fired because you broke a laptop. You could take a legal case against them. Best thing to do is be honest with your Boss.

Secondly don't bring it to a repair center. This is a major NoNo and bringing your laptop to one of these could lose you your job.

Thirdly - Your work should have a service desk that will be able to advise you to drop it into them and get a spare. If not your boss should be able to advise on the third party company that they use to look after I.T equipment.

Follow this advice.

Jodotman wrote: »

Basically same advice I gave .

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

So.......what happened ?

Sorry. I should have updated you, after getting ye're advice. I came clean & told them what happened. Absolutely no problem whatsoever. One IT guy actually laughed! New lappie being dispatched today. DIY job done on rip in armchair. And they all lived happily ever after. Many thanks to those who took the time & trouble to advise/reassure me.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Good to hear the story had a happy ending.

• Advertisement

The Truth will set you free. :P

Advertisement