Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this type of electrical socket called please?

Options
  • 28-12-2016 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

clueless female here who knows zilch about electrics,

So getting kitchen done, and would like sockets that include USB ports.

What are they called, and are they difficult to install?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just USB electrical sockets.
    They're not difficult to install for someone who has installed sockets or switches before, but you often need a bit of depth behind the socket as they go back farther than a standard socket would.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just USB electrical sockets.
    They're not difficult to install for someone who has installed sockets or switches before, but you often need a bit of depth behind the socket as they go back farther than a standard socket would.

Thanks so much.

Why do they go so far back, just out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Because of the USB charging gubbins inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for the information folks.

Whatever Sparky I hire will be installing these!

No more Usb plugs all hogging the sockets. Thank you so much!

Not all devices like a 2A charge rate. These are the best imo.

R9008719-01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don't install them TBH. Waste of time. Mains sockets have been the same for decades, they dont age. USB does.

3yrs ago most phones would trickle charge at 400mA. 2yrs ago that was closer to 650mA. Now you need about 800mA to even start charging.

Top tier phones now have QC2 or QC3, by the end of 2017 all phones will have it in some form or another (VOOC, Dash, QC). These sockets won't do any of that.

You need 1mA to start charging the rest is compensating for the load.

My point is that charging a cell at a rate equivalent to half or greater it's capacity will shorten it's life due to the developed heat. Less is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need 1mA to start charging the rest is compensating for the load.

My point is that charging a cell at a rate equivalent to half or greater it's capacity will shorten it's life due to the developed heat. Less is more.

Well if they dont provide for the client device to control current then walk a millions miles from them. My BT headphones need about 85mA to charge (they're tiny), plugging them into a 500mA USB2.0 port doesnt deliver 500mA as the port just has a maximum rate not a fixed rate.

Yurp lots of devices have current limiting. However the less aggressive you charge a cell the longer it lasts and the more it gives over time.

So my phone has a 3.1Ah cell and accepts a 2A charge rate, I see no need to cook it in 90minutes when overnight charging because it'll last far longer and give me more cycles if I give it a 1A charge rate. Both are fully charged by morning.

Sure I use 2A when I want to zap it, but having the choice means it holds up longer.

I'm amazed at the lengths they go to to sell fast chargers, portable cells with integrated boost regulators, solar/dynamo/wind trinket junk etc..

The problem is the cell is too small; solution fit a larger cell. :rolleyes:

I had a look at CQ2 & three....yee gawd 18watt charge rate...they really are encouraging disposable culture. I see a lot of references to CQ3 being "more efficient & less heat" this is compared to CQ2 not standard USB, can't see phone cells lasting two years the way that's going...you could get 5 if you spec-ed the cell right and dropped the charge voltage...

....sher no matter, who'd want a 5yo phone in this day and age...:(
    of course the cell doesn't just die one day it's diminishing returns..

Advertisement