Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are books too expensive now?

• 28-12-2016 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Got a Waterstones voucher for Christmas from my sister. I love to buy new books but it's a bit pricey.

Like I know I can go to the library and second hand stores and amazon and the likes but sometimes I wanna just go and buy a new book based on impulse or desire to read immediately not to mention I enjoy spending hours looking at new books in a bricks and mortar store. EBooks just are not the same.

Bog standard paperbacks are ridiculously expensive now. For example Waterstones are selling Donal Ryan's "The thing about December" for 10.50€ but it's not exactly a big book. The latest Harry Potter hardback is retailing for 27€ or something ridiculous. Books like old Stephen King novels and SF books by Philip K Dick are usually around 12€. Just seems that when big standard books are more than 10€ that it's a bit off putting.

Is buying new books becoming too expensive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Just seems that when big standard books are more than 10€ that it's a bit off putting.

Is buying new books becoming too expensive?
    I can't agree. Only the new releases tend to be a bit more expensive but if you wait a while (and if you are like me even after you buy it may be a while before you get around to reading a book) they can usually be found reduced or on offer.
    Even paying €12-16 is hardly out of the way compared to say a packet of cigarettes, a round of drinks, a meal out, a night at the cinema, new clothes or any or the other ways you might choose to spend your money. I'm struggling to think of any better value for that sort of money.
    If you are skint, or even if you aren't, there is always the library. All the books you could want for free and they don't take up space when you are finished with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

You need to shop around a bit. The likes of Waterstones can be expensive enough but the independent bookshops still offer plenty of value.
    A very good friend gave me National Book Tokens for Christmas and I intend to stock my reading list with JP Donleavy, Hunter S Thompson, Woody Allen, Dylan Thomas and Philip Roth by paying a visit to Vibes and Scribes in Cork city. If you're anywhere near Cork, look them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Books are by far the best value for money entertainment.

I bought Stephen Kings 11.22.63 for about €10 and it took me 3 months of 30-45 minutes per day reading it.

What other form of entertainment would provide you with anywhere near that value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Larry SR

I have moved to E books for this reason.

• Advertisement

Yeah kindle sale, land a load of books for a euro each, good stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Can't use a kindle. Prefer the feel of a book. I buy most of my books either online or tske regular trips to a couple of local charity shops. Just before christmas I got 6 books for 4 euro in svp.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I get most of my books 2nd hand, can get some serious bargains in the 3-6 euro range. For books I can't find 2nd hand I'll usually order them online at a reasonable price.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

For those in Dublin, Chapters on Parnell St always has a good selection of books for sale at reduced prices. I usually find a few interesting books in the €5-€6 range.

Also, as mentioned before, some serious bargains on kindle books for those (like me) who read ebooks as well. Stock up when they are on sale for a euro or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Books are far too expensive, its crazy. I suppose its partly due to the suppliers and retailers as they want to make a hefty profit on books they sell. I really wanted to get the new Harry Potter book but im not willing to spend 30 euro. Ill read it once over a few days or a week then it will remain on my bookshelf so I cant see the point in spending so much. Ill just have to wait a couple of months or years until the price comes down or I find it somewhere secondhand.

Bookdepository.com is great for new cheap books. Its much cheaper than waterstones or other book shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

I do surveys on Irish Opinions, they pay a euro or two per survey. I think most people get the tesco vouchers in return for them, though I always go for the Easons e-voucher, it gets emailed to you straight away. It's really handy as they pay out every €10 you build up, and Easons just so happen to do free delivery on orders over a tenner on their website. I often manage to get a brand new book every few weeks for a few euro. Might be worth looking into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Books while sometimes expensive are one of the best investments you can make, all adults and especially kids should be encouraged to read.

I read that Charlie Munger (other half of the Warren Buffett Berksire Hathaway brain) told his kids and grand kids to forward selected books and he would buy them for them for life!
    Granted he's a billionaire but you get the point.

Yes some books are crazy and apart from the odd time I wait until they come out in paper back before buying.

Even ebooks can be expensive but a good book is worth every penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Where is the new Harry Potter book €30? You can get the special illustrated edition of Chamber of secrets for that in Easons.

I honestly don't think books are over priced. Look at the price of new games, some of which will only give you a 10-11 hours of entertainment, whereas, a book can give you so much more.
    I buy second hand, ebook sales, discounted books, new books(try not to get paperback) and limited edition signed stuff.
    Most I've paid new has been $125 and that was for an extremely limited run book signed by like 20 authors.
    On average I lay around €30 and that's including postage.

There's no value placed on creative works anymore. Music can be gotten for nothing or next to nothing. Movies, tv shows and increasingly games all are getting cheaper and cheaper.
    These are pieces of creative works that have taken hundreds of hours to be crafted and offer hours of entertainment and people want them for next to nothing or they will get it for nothing somewhere.
    The prices are usually fair and any bit of shopping around can usually get it for a few quid cheaper.
    Good Books are excellent value. My mother paid £10 or maybe less for a book on Greek mythology when I was a wee lad and you couldn't calculate the amount of enjoyment I have gotten from that initial purchase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

I download all my books for free from a pirate website and read them on my kindle. I've saved hundreds or maybe two thousand doing this and have really expanded my literary canon also. Happy out. Don't think I'll ever pay for a book again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I hope you're joking if not shame on you.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I do support them. I don't think books are too expensive. I thought I made that clear.

Books are definitely not expensive, whether online or in stores. In my family, one person will buy a book and it could be read by several family members, so it is very good value. With Kindles and the like, it's not so easy to pass books between family members anymore.
    The one area where books are ridiculously expensive is school or college books. There publishers are purely profit gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Don't have time to read anywhere near as much as I used to (work and parent) and it was getting frustrating as it was my one of my pleasures. I spend a lot more time in the car nowadays so my wife suggested audiobooks on the cars Bluetooth via my phone.

I joined the Audible (Amazon subscription) in October last year and for €9.86 a month (first month is free to test it) and you can basically have whatever book you want (as long as its one at a time and has been made into an audiobook of course). So far I have finished the last two Wheel of Times books and books 1-3 of the GOT series.

Its not for everyone, to listen to someone else read etc. but tbh as a subscription its brilliant for me. I actually enjoy my drives now rather than simply 'part of the job'. Audiobooks are incredibly expensive (average €20-€30 a go) and if you put the hours in its very handy. On average I have listened to 60+ hours a month and the average book so far has been 35-40 hours so I am easily getting value for money. I could even listen in bed if I cant sleep but so far have not done this as I don't feel as frustrated anymore in 'missing out' on good books. I am already thinking of the next series to try.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Unless you are buying hardbacks then no, books aren't too expensive, and even then I would say you're just paying a premium for a better quality product.

I'm in a book club and average a book every three weeks as a result. Though money is tight right now it's one of the few things I don't give a second thought to. Most books are a little over €10 and I have no problem supporting the authors and the industry.

A friend of mine works in publishing and, like the movie industry, it tends to be a few bestsellers that help them make profits and subsidise a lot of other published work. Personally speaking, I'm happy to try and support authors and the industry.

And if you're not, or can't afford to, then I encourage you to go to the library rather than download for free. That way, at least some money goes to the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 July_happygirl

The idea of books becoming "too pricey" is generally an overstatement. If we turn to history, in the 19th century a library was no mere interest, it was the representation of one's wealth and position in society. Books were ordered, waited for, covered in people's library colors hardcovers and made a unique object.
    Now you can get paperback, read it and forget it. Almost any book (we're not speaking of rare or exclusive ones) can be bought as a gift. I think it's a general delusion, that a book should cost no more than a cup of coffee. It shouldn't be like that.
    And also the author should be encouraged to write thoughtful and interesting story. How can a young artist or writer survive without getting paid for their work?
    Of course, no-one can judge you for downloading books for free. We're free to make our choice. But to have the quality literature on the bookshelves, there should be a fair salary to those, who work on creating it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

yes but those who can't afford books shouldn't be excluded from enjoying them either. I can't afford to go on a sun holiday, I'll have to make do with a trip to kilkee or lahinch. I can't afford to buy the game of thrones illustrated editions, but I can download the regular pdf for free.

Life is all about how much you can afford, if you can't afford much you can still find ways to enjoy the finer things like reading a good book. I won't apologise for putting food in my child's mouth over putting 20 euro in a publisher's pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

yes but those who can't afford books shouldn't be excluded from enjoying them either. I can't afford to go on a sun holiday, I'll have to make do with a trip to kilkee or lahinch. I can't afford to buy the game of thrones illustrated editions, but I can download the regular pdf for free.

Life is all about how much you can afford, if you can't afford much you can still find ways to enjoy the finer things like reading a good book. I won't apologise for putting food in my child's mouth over putting 20 euro in a publisher's pocket.

It's true, for many people life can be a struggle making ends meet and putting food on their kids' plates. Some of them even include authors and musicians who face a constant battle trying to eke out a fair price for their art.

As has been mentioned, you can still find ways to enjoy a good book by joining a local library. I only discovered recently that they now have an e-book facility so you can even borrow without leaving the comfort of your home. All you need is a working internet connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There are a few good independent sellers on E Bay. Just search the title you are looking for. Some very clean second hand stuff available.
    Also don't forget Kennys in Galway.

But you could still buy the mass market paperback for like €6 and the author still gets rewarded for their work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Advertisement