Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are your decorations still up?

• 28-12-2016 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭

Mine still are but if I have my way they'll be down soon. Sick of looking at them now. They don't seem like much when they're packed away but when they're up they take up so much space. When will ye take yours down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

KKkitty wrote: »
    When will ye take yours down?

Steady on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm javelin launching the Christmas tree out in the garden in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No, but then I put none up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No. Took them down xmas eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Mine are down since 2004.

There's a wee ****er of a bird snowman thing on the TV, he'll be in the stove soon too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

6th January

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm javelin launching the Christmas tree out in the garden in the morning.

Mind yourself doing that now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I didn't put any up in Casa Crayfish but I think Mumsy usually takes them down a couple of days into the New Year. I remember when I was a kid they would just depress me once Christmas was over, a sign of all that is gone and I'm going back to school. Like having your dead relatives clothes still in the gaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

there are 12 days in Christmas, starting Christmas eve until the 7th jan, so mine will not come down till the 7th jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just a tree up here, but will stay up until at least Jan 1.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Wait for all the atheist neckbeards to come along and tell us they took their decorations down on the 26th.

Back in the real world the normal people on are still merry and happy and enjoying 500cc of walker black tonight.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

January 6th and no earlier. I can't understand people taking down the tree on the 26th. But it's a free country...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Mind yourself doing that now.

I'm an expert at this stage. Although this year I'm leaving the decorations on it.

6th January

Some forget Christmas lasts for 12 days.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    January 6th and no earlier. I can't understand people taking down the tree on the 26th. But it's a free country...

We have no tree to take down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Who takes them down before New Years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Are your decorations still up?

Yeah, why :confused:

It's the 28th of December!

...due to come down around the 6th of January as tradition dictates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Ah who could stomach a Christmas tree until the 6th

December 25th = the start of Christmas.
    January 5th = the last day of Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Still up (since the first weekend in December) and staying up until sometime after next Tuesday ........... in no rush to take them down if I'm honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

How can people still celebrate Christmas while getting up for work on the 3rd of January while it's dark cold and wet outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They'll come down on Jan 7th. I'm only easing into Christmas properly now that all the Christmas Day fuss is over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Its tradition to take them down on Women's Little Christmas but i think its a bit of a long stretch alright. Maybe New Years day would be OK i guess.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Still up (since the first weekend in December) ...........

The first weekend in December!
    You must be fed up with them by now, I know I would :))

PS; Our's went up the weekend before Christmas started.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I always take the decorations down on the 6th.

The 6th is traditionally the last day of Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Spotted young neighbours dragging the tree out to the car today and driving off to dump it. They had lights all over their windows too, but they are now turned off. Seriously WTF is that all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

My decorations consist of little more than a solitary string of tinsel on the kitchen shelf. As such, it's not too time consuming to take it down. Still gets left up there until May most years, though. But that's because I'm lazy bastard. So yeah, it's still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

If there is 12 days of Christmas why do people put up their trees in the first week of December?

• Advertisement

I'm offering a service to allow my 2 cats to come into your house and tear down your Chrimbo tree. They've had lots of practice with mine this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I can see why excitable people who put up decorations in late November would want them down by now. I couldn't be arsed til the 20th of December, so they can stay up now til Jan 7th.
    If there is 12 days of Christmas why do people put up their trees in the first week of December?
    Because rampant consumerism dictates that Christmas starts in late November and ends when the last present is opened!

How can people still celebrate Christmas while getting up for work on the 3rd of January while it's dark cold and wet outside?

Some people like those in the vital services in healthcare, fire services, gardai etc, and other areas like farming have to work on Christmas day.

I was most thankful back in 1996 when the ESB restored the electricity at 5.15pm on Christmas day after the Christmas eve storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

They'll come down this weekend. I want to have some festivity through New Year's Eve.

Actually I do have one Christmas thing on display, a small crib I bought at a Christmas market on a recent holiday, but it will take less than 30 seconds to put that away, and it might be on display for well past the Epiphany - it is small.

Indeed, why do some people buy real trees at the start of December, knowing that the tree will have shed its spines before or during the start of Christmas :confused:

Christmas starts on the 25th of December.
    Christmas finishes on the 6th of January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Course they're still up - hate all that "put em up first week of December but take them down the 26th " crap - while I can still potentially have family/ friends visiting they're staying up - in fact I usually leave them up till 2nd weekend of Jan- love the last few nights with the xmas tree lights on - feet up chilling after going back to work :-)

goat2 wrote: »
    there are 12 days in Christmas, starting Christmas eve until the 7th jan, so mine will not come down till the 7th jan

Check your calendar. If 25th December is day 1 then day 12 is 5th December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Little Christmas for us.

The same way that those people who got up on December 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th and today did for work ......... that's right, some people worked Christmas Day and (shock horror!!! :eek:) still celebrated Christmas.

LordSutch wrote: »
    The first weekend in December!
    You must be fed up with them by now, I know I would :))

PS; Our's went up the weekend before Christmas started.

Fed up with them? Quite the opposite! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Check your calendar. If 25th December is day 1 then day 12 is 5th December.

Check your typing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

It's still Xmas until at least 6 January. If you take them down before then the Futurama Santabot will mark you down as naughty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Wait for all the atheist neckbeards to come along and tell us they took their decorations down on the 26th.

Back in the real world the normal people on are still merry and happy and enjoying 500cc of walker black tonight.

4 pages in not even one. I really wish there was a down vote button on boards.

Day 1 of Christmas - December 25th
    Day 2 of Christmas - December 26th
    Day 3 of Christmas - December 27th
    Day 4 of Christmas - December 28th
    Day 5 of Christmas - December 29th
    Day 6 of Christmas - December 30th
    Day 7 of Christmas - December 31st
    Day 8 of Christmas - January 1st
    Day 9 of Christmas - January 2nd
    Day 10 of Christmas - January 3rd
    Day 11 of Christmas - January 4th
    Day 12 of Christmas - January 5th

January 6th - The Epiphany, and women can celebrate Christmas as it is over :P

I think it should be up to you whether to take them down or not. Christmas is as long as you want it to be. If you have enough of it take the decorations down and get back to normal.

I think it should be up to you whether to take them down or not. Christmas is as long as you want it to be. If you have enough of it take the decorations down and get back to normal.

I think it is ........... ???

Some people seem to think it's wrong taking them down early though.

You think?

Really?

I think.....?

Some people seem to think it's wrong taking them down early though.

It's just an old superstition that they shouldn't be taken down before the Epiphany on pain of bad luck for the year, but if someone wants to get back to normal then what's the harm?

muddypaws wrote: »
    Check your typing ;)

With my arthritic fingers, I'm happy to be able to type at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement