Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magpie decoy? And Acme mouth caller?

• 28-12-2016 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Bought a magpie decoy this evening just woundering have ye had much success with them? Also any good in a trap? Also got a Acme mouth caller any good do people think? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I have used a crow decoy and an acme crow call under a flight line.

You just call them in like a dog and shoot them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Thought they were illegal to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

I have used a crow decoy and an acme crow call under a flight line.

You just call them in like a dog and shoot them.

Thanks had a different mouth call before they're a good job!

Mouth calls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 Lawless_IRE

Afaik its only electronic callers are illegal for hunting. Can only be used for photography. But mouth operated ones are alright. Open to correction tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Why can they be sold?

http://nargc.ie/predator-control-and-the-law/
    Section 35 (1) (d) of the Wildlife Acts 1976 to 2012 states that a person shall not – use an electrical or other instrument or appliance (including recording apparatus) emitting sound, for the purpose of hunting any wild bird or any wild animal. The use of the term “…or other instrument…” obviously does not restrict the definition to electrically operated instruments/appliances only. For example, metal and plastic callers and possibly even polystyrene rubbed against a window could be interpreted as an “instrument or appliance” under the legislation. Calling a fox with one’s mount, however, would be acceptable.

In effect, this means that it is illegal to use callers for grey crow, magpie and fox. However, Section 35 (4) allows the Minister to grant a licence to a person to use an instrument or appliance emitting sound for the purpose of repelling, scaring or capturing any wild bird or any wild animal for scientific research or for another purpose approved of by the Minister. Note that the legislation refers to “repelling, scaring or capturing” and does not say for the purpose of killing.

Thanks yes! I wounder why they are sold?

Probably shouldn't use the one I got then!

When I said call them in like a dog and shoot them I meant call them in like a dog and take a photograph of them😉

When I said call them in like a dog and shoot them I meant call them in like a dog and take a photograph of them😉

Right thanks so call them in take a picture then shoot? That seems legal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I think the artificial magpie decoys are also illegal (I'm open to correction). So instead use dead magpies to decoy in the birds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Bought a magpie decoy this evening just woundering have ye had much success with them? Also any good in a trap? Also got a Acme mouth caller any good do people think? Thanks

Wonder where would you stand on returning these useless items back to the retailer, and ask for your money back?

I think the artificial magpie decoys are also illegal (I'm open to correction). So instead use dead magpies to decoy in the birds.

There are so many rules that I didn't know about! -_-

Eddie B wrote:
    Wonder where would you stand on returning these useless items back to the retailer, and ask for your money back?

Not too sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Mouth calls?

No. the decoys afaik are illegal.

?

So they are both illegal -_-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

So they are both illegal -_-

Yea both illegal. The law is a bit of a joke with regards shooting Magpies and Grey crows sucessfully.

The only real method we can use, which works well is Larson traps, and their very much seasonal. Wouldn't be surprised to see them outlawed in the next few years too. A lot of folk calling for a ban on them lately, both here and the UK. In fact, their now illegal to use in Denmark, where the trap was invented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

From my reading of section 35 of the Wildlife Act 1976 and section 43 of the Wildlife Act I know understand that; artificial decoys are only legal for ducks, geese and wood pigeons for the purpose of hunting. Also all electronic callers are illegal for hunting any wild animal or bird but mouth callers are legal for ducks, geese and plover. Can anyone else verify this please?

Eddie B wrote:
    The only real method we can use, which works well is Larson traps, and their very much seasonal. Wouldn't be surprised to see them outlawed in the next few years too. A lot of folk calling for a ban on them lately, both here and the UK. In fact, their now illegal to use in Denmark, where the trap was invented.

Eddie B wrote:
    Yea both illegal. The law is a bit of a joke with regards shooting Magpies and Grey crows sucessfully.

That would be a shame as it's hard enough to do a good job on pest control as it is without more red tape!

Right thanks so call them in take a picture then shoot? That seems legal?

Well your asking all the questions and all I'm doing is trying to help you out.

I've used the acme crow caller and and a crow decoy and they work, have called magpies and crows in with it. What you want to do after that is your own business.

• Advertisement

I've used the acme crow caller and and a crow decoy and they work, have called magpies and crows in with it. What you want to do after that is your own business.

Thanks! Seems a good enough caller!

Advertisement