Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

full time RO on range

Options
  • 28-12-2016 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

The current range Im a member of is open 7 days a week but is only guaranteed to have an RO there on a Saturday which unfortunately doesn't suit me .Most times I call down to shoot ,someone might be available for a half hr or so but its very much a case of they are being polite by doing RO for you.

I would happily spend hours on the range if there was a full time RO who was paid to be there instead of having to rush through a few shots because the ro might have other things to do or waiting to head off.
    Is there any ranges that have a full time RO?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

ola! wrote: »
    The current range Im a member of is open 7 days a week but is only guaranteed to have an RO there on a Saturday which unfortunately doesn't suit me .Most times I call down to shoot ,someone might be available for a half hr or so but its very much a case of they are being polite by doing RO for you.

I would happily spend hours on the range if there was a full time RO who was paid to be there instead of having to rush through a few shots because the ro might have other things to do or waiting to head off.
    Is there any ranges that have a full time RO?

The rules on our range say that there must be a minimum of at least 2 people on the line at any one time, One person must stay back to oversee the line, and there must be an RO on the line whist people are using firearms.

Again Saturdays are the busiest there, with Fridays and Sunday close behind.

The only way out of your problem is to get to know the RO's and find out if they shoot on days other than a Saturday. Or do the RO course yourself and team up with a buddy to shoot together on a given day. The you can take turns in shooting, As long as one of you stays back behind the firing line to oversee all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ola!

They seem to be the same rules as the range I currently use. I would imagine all ranges have similar rules but I would like to find out if any ranges actually provide full time RO's for their members as opposed to members having to find another member , who is an RO to shoot with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If there is no RO during the week then the range should not be open to members. There is meant to be an RO and RCO present anytime any range is open. Its in the SI (SI 622/2011, sections 8 and 12(3)).

ROs and RCOs are, afaik, completely voluntary positions. Some ranges abroad have paid staff, but none here. Again afaik. However if no RO or RCO is present then the range being used or the entire range (for the RCO) cannot be used.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement