Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who here is in the longest relationship?

• 28-12-2016 11:46pm

I see the last 3 topics about relationships have been reasons for getting out of them, "getting the ride" on non dating sites and remaining friends after break ups.

So how about hearing from those who have been in stable long term relationships?

We met at 12, I spent the next 5 years hoping but never having the courage to ask her out. Finally, with a small bit of Dutch courage I made my move during a slow set on Stephens Night 1991. Married at 29. So that's 25 years together, 13 married. And it's been fantastic, better than I could have ever imagined.

Presume a few here can beat that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

7 years married tomorrow! 27 years together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Maisydaisy212

35 years with myself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

First long term relationship, 11 years, Married & divorced.

Second marriage 7 yeas as above

Third engagement 10 years.

I don't think I very good at this :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

14 years with the Mrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

80 years sonny.

• Advertisement

Just because you are not with the same person till the end of your days doesn't mean a thing Mr Mouse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭deisemum

29 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

39 years. Seems longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

21 years here, we're both pretty independent and I think it helps. We spent seven years doing everything we wanted to do young, then we got married and were both happy to move on to other things.
    We have the same dreams, some different from what they used to be, but we genuinely share them. We just seem to go in the same direction, even as life changes things around us.

Is the 3rd one still ongoing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Twenty yrs we met on my eighteenth birthday I still love him so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

47 years here, we are still talking and before ye ask we are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Almost 22 years. That feels like forever. I'm only 39.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Nearly 14 years married. Together a bit longer than that, but not since school or college. Both of us had lots of life experience before we met.

This looks like a lets out the oldies thread. Cool with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

14 years together. Married 4. Only this very evening he said something that made me think "you're my soul mate!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Is the 3rd one still ongoing?

No, Just finished, But we certainly both agreed it was for the best & there is no animosity at all, which kinda makes it harder, She is a lovely lady & I do hope the very best for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

With the better half since I was in 2nd year of my undergraduate and she was a fresher.
    In my mid 30's now. She's put up with me traveling all over the place for college and work, living over seas for years and months at a time, taking stupidly long flights followed by ridiculous bus or train rides to come see me a few times and still seems to like me enough to laugh at my bad jokes and not run from my demand for cuddles.

Not as long as the OP but I couldn't see myself with anyone else any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

10.5 years. The .5 is important because that's how long we are married!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

In London during The 1990 World Cup, I took my eye off the ball for a second and was captured by an 'Irish Colleen.'

We're getting married in June, 27 years and 1 day after first meeting.........

I still think we're rushing into things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

My parents were together 50 years married, but then he dumped her like yesterday's trash when a younger model turned his eye, so to be honest longevity means nothing,

I was with in a previous relationship for 11 years, currently 10 years in this one, I'm in this for the long haul, but time and circumstances change our perception, so who knows.

I am not being flippant, I have been through so much, that the Rose tinted glasses are well and truly off, I live in the real world, but my husband is the best man I have ever met,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I've been in a long term relationship with Pam and her five friends for 26 years. Best GF I've ever had <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

3.5 years :pac: current boyfriend. Hadn't had anything more than 18 months before that, though, so this is good going! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Met herself in July 2004. Got together in 2008 and married in 2010.

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    My parents were together 50 years married, but then he dumped her like yesterday's trash when a younger model turned his eye, so to be honest longevity means nothing...

Well...it meant little to him. There are examples of people staying together that length of time and longer, and no one dumping the other or having their eye turned.

My wife is still the most beautiful woman I know...but it's long since gone beyond the stage where that is a factor. It's nice, it's good for the ego, but it's not the reason we're together. I'm friends with other women, some very attractive and younger, but the thought of a relationship with someone other than my wife? Just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

10 years together and a year and a half married.
    Feels like 5 minutes compared to the length of some of the relationships here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

My wife is still the most beautiful woman I know...

Oh, that's so lovely! :)

A relatively paltry 11 years here compared to some.
    Oh, that's so lovely! :)

It is - assuming he actually knows any other women :) Otherwise the statement takes on a less impressive tone. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Since July 1990, I asked him to my Debs and haven't been able to shake him off yet :)

It is - assuming he actually knows any other women :) Otherwise the statement takes on a less impressive tone. :p

I actually prefer the company of women when out. I sometimes find it just so boring to go out with a group of men because inevitably the conversation turns to "look at yet wan, look at her, I rode her last week" etc. etc. And that includes other married friends. I don't judge at all, in fact it can be mildly entertaining talk for a short while, but night after night of it..yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

37 years with herself, she's been so lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭rednik

30 years, 26 married & 4 free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Not me but my grandparents are married 66 years! They still bicker constantly so i think thats how you keep the spark alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Met her in 1996 ,married in 2000.Was paroled in '04 and '07 .

Was taken back in custody in 2010 released briefly two years ago but am back again now.

She still holds my hand when we go out together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Together 10 years, married 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Met her in 67, married in 70, so over 49 years of bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Only ever had 3 relationships.

1st lasted 12 months.

2nd lasted 12 months, resulted in one child.

3rd is almost 9 years, engaged 5, have 3 children, we know each other 18 years in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Must be about 20 years now. 3 kids.

Shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No slow sets these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement