Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

portable listening

• 28-12-2016 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

What's the best portable listening device that has at least 100 gb? Ipod classic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Bob Z wrote: »
    What's the best portable listening device that has at least 100 gb? Ipod classic?

For me, the iRiver H140, though you need to mod it a bit - it came as 40gb back in the day, but can be upgraded to 120 (and more I believe with an SSD these days), running Rockbox instead of the stock firmware..

I have 2 of them, still running and sounding great nearly 15 years on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

UsedToWait wrote: »
    For me, the iRiver H140, though you need to mod it a bit - it came as 40gb back in the day, but can be upgraded to 120 (and more I believe with an SSD these days), running Rockbox instead of the stock firmware..

I have 2 of them, still running and sounding great nearly 15 years on :)

I also have a 'thing' for older players. How would you compare the iRiver to a Cowon device ? I used to own a Cowon X5L which was my fav sounding device but it didn't last very long after I dropped it.

I think the OP is probably looking for something modern. I would try to find a good device that would take a 128GB sd card.

This cowon takes a 64GB sd card with 32GB on boards. http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/COWONM2/product_page_2.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

not really more modern just something i can have a lot of music on so i dont have to go back and change albums and i lost a lot of music recently due to hard drive failure so i want it as another form of back up

learn_more wrote: »
    I also have a 'thing' for older players. How would you compare the iRiver to a Cowon device ? I used to own a Cowon X5L which was my fav sounding device but it didn't last very long after I dropped it.

I think the OP is probably looking for something modern. I would try to find a good device that would take a 128GB sd card.

This cowon takes a 64GB sd card with 32GB on boards. http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/COWONM2/product_page_2.php

I never had the Cowon, but heard good things, and it also ran rockbox..

The iRiver is like a tank.. Dropped mine loads and keeps on truckin (the case likely helps)..

Incidentally, the Sansa Clip (clip+ and clip zip, not the later models) was another that ran rockbox and is generally still available quite cheaply as new old stock, and I just read someone saying they were running a 200gb card using rockbox with no problems (card needs to be formatted Fat32)..

Mmm.. Has me thinking..
    In these days of FLAC files, 200gb would be handy to have :)

Edit: 47.95 for manufacturer refurb on eBay..

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,39205.msg238452.html?PHPSESSID=pb88oc2batgecfbvaucapioic1#msg238452

Another option could be to repurpose an old phone as a media player..

I keep an old HTC desire in the car with a 64gb card, with all extraneous apps disabled / deleted, and it's handy - can use wired or via Bluetooth - not sure if 64 is the max it will take..
    - I've a 128 card in my newer HTC I might try in it for the craic..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I never had the Cowon, but heard good things, and it also ran rockbox..

The iRiver is like a tank.. Dropped mine loads and keeps on truckin (the case likely helps)..

Incidentally, the Sansa Clip (clip+ and clip zip, not the later models) was another that ran rockbox and is generally still available quite cheaply as new old stock, and I just read someone saying they were running a 200gb card using rockbox with no problems (card needs to be formatted Fat32)..

Mmm.. Has me thinking..
    In these days of FLAC files, 200gb would be handy to have :)

Edit: 47.95 for manufacturer refurb on eBay..

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,39205.msg238452.html?PHPSESSID=pb88oc2batgecfbvaucapioic1#msg238452

I have experimented with flac and have found the most important thing is the quality of your earphoens/headphones.

I am one of these people who can tell the difference between flac and mp3 and have found the biggest difference in sound qualtiy is how good your headphones are.

I use my smartphone as my main device now with a 64GB card. I have viper4android installed, and it totally transformed the audio quality of the device.

Don't think I could get anything better unless I invested in one of those high-rez yokes. I don't think they are worth the money anyway.

Advertisement