Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Kilkenny

Options
  • 28-12-2016 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all - I am an american moving to Kilkenny in a couple weeks. I am wondering what the best areas (within about 20 minutes walking distance to high street area) are to rent/buy? I am in my mid-twenties so am looking for an area close to all amenities, as well as fairly close to the dublin road as I will be working out that way. 
    Any information is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

samorse09 wrote: »
    Hi all - I am an american moving to Kilkenny in a couple weeks. I am wondering what the best areas (within about 20 minutes walking distance to high street area) are to rent/buy? I am in my mid-twenties so am looking for an area close to all amenities, as well as fairly close to the dublin road as I will be working out that way. 

Apartments in MacDonagh Junction (top of John street/corner of Dublin road and beside Railway station) are lovely and might fit the bill. Shopping centre also next door. 10 mins to High st.
    Rent expensive and availability very tight in Kilkenny at the moment. Probably talking at least €800 per month for a 2 bed apartment.
    Good luck with the move, Kilkenny is a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I'm also moving to Kilkenny soon and I'm about the same ago as you. Mcdonagh junction would be fairly close to the centre or the apartments on Barrack street. It's not easy to find somewhere.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I'm also moving to Kilkenny soon and I'm about the same ago as you. Mcdonagh junction would be fairly close to the centre or the apartments on Barrack street. It's not easy to find somewhere.

I lived before in The Arches and tbh I wouldn't recommend it. They could have been nice but the buildings aren't that well maintained, I had anti social behaviour from non working neighbours (seemed to be a common theme). If you can get some place else I would. Also like everywhere else, too expensive for what you get.

road_high wrote: »
    I lived before in The Arches and tbh I wouldn't recommend it. They could have been nice but the buildings aren't that well maintained, I had anti social behaviour from non working neighbours (seemed to be a common theme). If you can get some place else I would. Also like everywhere else, too expensive for what you get.

I had my eye on there because my office will be right beside it. But once it's within walking distance I don't mind really. What's the best approach to finding somewhere? There's not much available

I had my eye on there because my office will be right beside it. But once it's within walking distance I don't mind really. What's the best approach to finding somewhere? There's not much available

I went via letting agent (Boyd's), they're ok not great.
    I bought eventually. I'd be very hestitant re the Arches. I think Johns Court next door might be better.
    If I was back again I'd try the local
    Papers (no middle man). Is commuting an option for you?

• Advertisement

I went via letting agent (Boyd's), they're ok not great.
    I bought eventually. I'd be very hestitant re the Arches. I think Johns Court next door might be better.
    If I was back again I'd try the local
    Papers (no middle man). Is commuting an option for you?
    Yes I can commute but it would be much easier to live in Kilkenny. Did you rent a place on your own with Boyds?

Yes I can commute but it would be much easier to live in Kilkenny. Did you rent a place on your own with Boyds?

Yes with Boyd's, originally Howlin's but that lady then sold her book to Boyd's. I've no experience with any of the others really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 samorse09

Thanks so much, all this information is quite helpful. What about the area around the bennetsbridge roundabout, specifically the castlehill apartments? is that a bit far out or is it still a decent location?

There is an apartment listed at the station house apartments which looks quite nice as well but I am worried it would be quite noisy being right next to the train station?

Thanks so much, all this information is quite helpful. What about the area around the bennetsbridge roundabout, specifically the castlehill apartments? is that a bit far out or is it still a decent location?

There is an apartment listed at the station house apartments which looks quite nice as well but I am worried it would be quite noisy being right next to the train station?

I doubt it's noisy, they appear very well contained. Also Kilkenny railway station is not the biggest or busiest, just quiet commuter trains.

Oh those are lovely. Very expensive though- if you can afford to live there I would! Kilkenny is compact and they're only a 10/15 min walk into the Castle and centre of town.

• Advertisement

I doubt it's noisy, they appear very well contained. Also Kilkenny railway station is not the biggest or busiest, just quiet commuter trains.

Oh those are lovely. Very expensive though- if you can afford to live there I would! Kilkenny is compact and they're only a 10/15 min walk into the Castle and centre of town.
    Good to know - I am comparing these to american rents so I find it hard to say any of them are quite expensive!! haha

My only concern with the bennetsbridge one is that I would have to either bike or walk on the N10 to get to work... is that something that is done often or is it not recommended?

Good to know - I am comparing these to american rents so I find it hard to say any of them are quite expensive!! haha

My only concern with the bennetsbridge one is that I would have to either bike or walk on the N10 to get to work... is that something that is done often or is it not recommended?

Depends on where in the States. Obviously compared to NY they will appear cheap/er! Outside of Dublin, Kilkenny is one of the most expensive to rent in. And salaries lower.

Very walkable to the Dublin road. 5 mins on a bike (there's bike lanes) or 15 mins walk perhaps. It's the next roundabout down from the bennetsbridge one. All very doable.

How far out is Robertshill?

It's not far off the Callan road (N76)/ring road. Only about ten mins walk into High st either. Bit of a treck to most work places though without a car.
    Had its problems in the past but not a bad estate, good residents association and established now for families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

I live in Robertshill and it's grand now as Road High said it did have it's problems but is a relatively quiet estate now and the residents assoc. are very goood. If you PM me the house details your looking at I'll give you my honest opinion (neighbours etc.) :)

Comerman wrote: »
    I live in Robertshill and it's grand now as Road High said it did have it's problems but is a relatively quiet estate now and the residents assoc. are very goood. If you PM me the house details your looking at I'll give you my honest opinion (neighbours etc.) :)
    It's more the location I'm concerned about. My office is on Barrack St and it looks a fair distance

It's more the location I'm concerned about. My office is on Barrack St and it looks a fair distance

About ten mins in the car in the morn I'd say- new relief road will help you when it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

buy a bicycle and it is only 5 minutes away from the majority of places in kk. presume you are going to be working in state street?

I think mcdonagh would be a nice place to get in to. The arches are cleaned up a lot since the earlier days and but it does make a difference which part of it you are in.

I'd recommend contact all letting agents by e-mail telling them you are coming from the states , the price range of what you are willing to pay and where you are working and see what they come back with. there is not much on daft.ie that is for sure. It would be madness for you to live outside KK

Will contact agents next week but I'm not sure I can afford a 1 bed apartment on my own

Will contact agents next week but I'm not sure I can afford a 1 bed apartment on my own
    Gael, have you looked at the sharing on daft.ie? There are multiple different people posting that they have a room available in their apartment already.

• Advertisement

You're better off sharing if money is an issue. Feck all 1 beds available and I'd imagine not much less than a 2 bed which seem to start at €800 min now. Crazy I know. Imagine you'd still get a nice house share for €100 a week.

There is an apartment up in greenshill, carrig house, I am wondering realistically how far of a walk is that to the city center? it says about 20 minutes on google maps but their walking times never seem all that accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

There is an apartment up in greenshill, carrig house, I am wondering realistically how far of a walk is that to the city center? it says about 20 minutes on google maps but their walking times never seem all that accurate.

It depends on what part of the city you want to go to but 20 minutes would be about right from there (imo).

I'd recommend you look in to getting a bike to make it easier to get to work / get around though.

It depends on what part of the city you want to go to but 20 minutes would be about right from there (imo).

I'd recommend you look in to getting a bike to make it easier to get to work / get around though.
    great, thanks for your quick response. yeah, will plan on getting a bike as well!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

From there, 20 mins would be spot on.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

Bennettsbridge is about 15 min drive from kk
    so cycle out the Bennettsbridge road would take you maybe 45 mins depending on how long your legs are 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

ayatollah wrote: »
    Bennettsbridge is about 15 min drive from kk
    so cycle out the Bennettsbridge road would take you maybe 45 mins depending on how long your legs are 😉

That's an awful road to cycle especially the closest few km to town. Its quite dangerous on a bike.

Advertisement