Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone find the pheasant numbers down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Hi lads we only here to chat and not comment on people and being sarcastic is not all that great either

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Alright. My two previous warnings are being ignored so here it is.

Final warning. One more post, comment, snide remark and its bye-bye to the lucky poster as they win all all expenses paid trip to ban-land.

In short - CUT OUT HE SH*T.

Nobody wants to read it.

Also Buzzards are protected and any more talk about culling them, etc. will also result in a ban for promoting the killing of protected wild birds, namely breaking the law.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

blackpearl wrote: »
    yes they are slaughtering wild pheasants,would that cold dinner your having happen to be native signal crayfish ,ha you stick to kicking the ditches huh?by what you know about wildlife you got it from reading a book in your armchair.

Another armchair quote?? Man you really don't know how to come at me or anyone for that matter. Your arguments are actually pointless. Get out and start doing your hot dinner vermin control so you can shoot your tame pheasants come November and brag about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

5 foxes today, what was your total?.

forgot to say 2 on thur as well

• Advertisement

anyone else do any good at foxes this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marknjb

we got 6 today one lad shot 3 in the one spot

Well done ,10 of us out today one of them got 2 good days crack 1 missed he got some slagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Lads put dogs through one cover put out 11 foxes got 4 but we will be back with the rifles couldn't believe how many where in it 16 dogs to put through the cover and 12 standing guns I'd still say foxes managed to double back place is hugh old overgrown quarry and wood

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Well done Black pearl - bet your pheasant numbers will rise this season !

• Advertisement

Tommyaya4 wrote: »
    Lads put dogs through one cover put out 11 foxes got 4 but we will be back with the rifles couldn't believe how many where in it 16 dogs to put through the cover and 12 standing guns I'd still say foxes managed to double back place is hugh old overgrown quarry and wood
    I would say their was a vixen in heat would explain the numser of foxes.

still a lot of foxes to be delt with,but will sort that out in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

All them foxes you are shooting should tell you where your pheasants are going. How many pheasants/poults/eggs is a fox taking compared to a buzzard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

All them foxes you are shooting should tell you where your pheasants are going. How many pheasants/poults/eggs is a fox taking compared to a buzzard?

Those are Vegan fox's :D

megan-fox-vegan-fox.jpg

Exactly Wayne. Point proven mate.

By the time the nesting season comes around between shooting and digging it is rare to see a fox on our club lands not many mags and grey crows left either so something is doing away with our pheasants might be them leprechauns, their use to be a few knocking about one of the famers said he seen a buzzard flying of with one a few years ago.

You said previously still a lot of foxes about and then wondering if something else is doing away with the pheasants?? You answered your own post as to what is killing them off. You got five other day yet say there's plenty of foxes about? Come on man. You know what's killing them. Blaming buzzards is now redundant.
    I'm done on this.

You still wont change my mind ,but when you take out a lot of foxes from an area over time other foxes will fill the void thats the way it works ,it works that way with all animals and birds its just common sense and has been going on since the stone age .the 4 or 5 months during the hunting season hunters are that busy shooting ducks and pheasants that numbers of foxes will build up.Now i could not be bothered getting into a tit for tat with you anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

You said previously still a lot of foxes about and then wondering if something else is doing away with the pheasants?? You answered your own post as to what is killing them off. You got five other day yet say there's plenty of foxes about? Come on man. You know what's killing them. Blaming buzzards is now redundant.
    I'm done on this.
    Dodder Angler !
    Trying to p.m you man
    PM me when you get a minute , thanks !

clawback07 wrote: »
    Dodder Angler !
    Trying to p.m you man
    PM me when you get a minute , thanks !

Pm sent man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

You still wont change my mind ,but when you take out a lot of foxes from an area over time other foxes will fill the void thats the way it works ,it works that way with all animals and birds its just common sense and has been going on since the stone age .the 4 or 5 months during the hunting season hunters are that busy shooting ducks and pheasants that numbers of foxes will build up.Now i could not be bothered getting into a tit for tat with you anymore.

Perhaps you need to spend less time shooting duck/pheasants during hunting season and spend more time culling foxes.

Perhaps you need to spend less time shooting duck/pheasants during hunting season and spend more time culling foxes.

hard work deserves a holiday,with all the vermin control you do would you not take time out,

hard work deserves a holiday,with all the vermin control you do would you not take time out,

But clearly you're not doing enough if there is still foxes around. You said that other foxes move in which is true but it's one big circle. It's a constant battle. I have feck all foxes around now but I put the work in and now I probably only have a handful. I've also plenty of buzzards and I never seen so many pheasants as I have this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

We have had buzzards on our shoot for at least 15 years. There are 2 breeding pairs which produce 1 or 2 juveniles per pair each year. Our shoot normally gets a return of 30-35% of pheasants released. This year we barely scraped 20%. Buzzard numbers were the same as always. What did change was the number of foxes present. We usually only see a few on the trail cams but this year they were everywhere. Turns out a chap on the neighbouring shoot who did a lot of lamping wasn't active this year. Point being, it was foxes and not buzzards that impacted on pheasant numbers. And if some one says they shot 5 or 6 foxes in one night you can be damn sure there were many many more they didn't see or shoot that are making merry with the pheasants.

Last Autumn I spotted a buzzard and 3 pheasants poking around in the open in close proximity. I'm not saying Buzzards don't take the odd pheasant, but mine didn't seem to worried about it!

Your complaining about Buzzards, yet don't cull one of the main predators (foxes) of pheasants enough!

Your complaining about Buzzards, yet don't cull one of the main predators (foxes) of pheasants enough!
    i am not going to tell you how many foxes are killed on our club lands, put it this way come breeding season for pheasants they are as rare as hens teeth,mags and greys the same plenty of cover woods bogs and thank god good ditches and now game crop everywhere and plenty of buzzards, wild pheasants never as scarce so whats doing the damage?.

i am not going to tell you how many foxes are killed on our club lands, put it this way come breeding season for pheasants they are as rare as hens teeth,mags and greys the same plenty of cover woods bogs and thank god good ditches and now game crop everywhere and plenty of buzzards, wild pheasants never as scarce so whats doing the damage?.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Please explain with out this turning into a slaging match,picture a stubble field in say september a family of pheasants comming out to feed a buzzard sitting in a tree near by say the poults are 9 to 10 weeks old will the buzzard past no remarks of them or will he have a go,if he kills one will the pheasants move of to a new field or will they hang about if they stay put over a week or to do you think that the buzzard will ignore them ?,or will he take one every day or to?.

Please explain with out this turning into a slaging match,picture a stubble field in say september a family of pheasants comming out to feed a buzzard sitting in a tree near by say the poults are 9 to 10 weeks old will the buzzard past no remarks of them or will he have a go,if he kills one will the pheasants move of to a new field or will they hang about if they stay put over a week or to do you think that the buzzard will ignore them ?,or will he take one every day or to?.
    Birdnuts has often quoted numerous peer reviewed data showing that buzzard do not have a statistically significant impact on pheasant numbers.

Nobody is saying that buzzards will take a non-native species like a pheasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Please lads can we keep this about pheasants. And not buzzards. Yes they not helping but in here we can do nothing about it.

So are ye re clubs buying birds early or late this year.??

Advertisement