Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone find the pheasant numbers down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

we nearly always get ours first week in june poults ,we have to wait and see this year with the bird flu game farms getting their day olds from france,if theirs a outbreak then their could be a ban on imports fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

blackpearl wrote: »
    i am not going to tell you how many foxes are killed on our club lands, put it this way come breeding season for pheasants they are as rare as hens teeth,mags and greys the same plenty of cover woods bogs and thank god good ditches and now game crop everywhere and plenty of buzzards, wild pheasants never as scarce so whats doing the damage?.
    we nearly always get ours first week in june poults ,we have to wait and see this year with the bird flu game farms getting their day olds from france,if theirs a outbreak then their could be a ban on imports fingers crossed.

Are the buzzards affecting the feral pheasants or the released birds?

We e have to replace the wild birds killed by buzzards some way,buy the way you still did not answer my question i put to you, i dont care what other peoples findings amount to so would you answer the question please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

We e have to replace the wild birds killed by buzzards some way,buy the way you still did not answer my question i put to you, i dont care what other peoples findings amount to so would you answer the question please.

Sorry but a wild pheasant is a lot harder for a buzzard to get near and even then with their small feet ( a hen pheasant has bigger feet than a buzzard) it'd struggle to hold it. A pen reared pheasant is easy prey but even then buzzards will think twice before risking the attack or wasting energy. They won't catch a pheasant on full flight. Hen or cock it won't happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Rights folks.

The thread was back on track and has now been takin off it again.

So, back on track. Get back to the topic of pheasants and away from Buzzards. If there is one more post about buzzards the thread will be shut down.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Has anyone given any thought to the effect of disease on pheasant population ?There's plenty of talk about the bird flu that's come to the attention of the media , but what about other viruses , parasites etc that haven't been studied in depth . Particularly released birds which could come from release pens that have been used for years ,and have been dosed medically during captivity and then released into a fairly hostile world where flubenvet doesn't grow on trees !
    Then if they do croak it foxes , badgers etc dispose of the evidence thereby being another cause for their numbers dropping .

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Season is getting shorter for me every year. Didn't go out until the last week November, fired my last shot on the second week in January, seven week game season. The sport I love is receding, wild habitat just not there to sustain birds in any sort of number. Climate change undoubtedly affecting migrant birds, it's some 7 years since I saw a pochard. Pigeon are now my main quarry.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Just curious as to do jackdaws and rooks eat pheasants eggs? We have a terrible amount of crows around!

Just curious as to do jackdaws and carrion crows eat pheasants eggs? We have a terrible amount of crows around!

Crows more so than jackdaws. Magpies will aswell. Carrion crows and grey crows will take chicks too if unguarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Don't forget that if you are relying on breeding wild pheasants for your shooting, a bad Spring will impact on numbers (as with all ground nesting species). It can take a population a few years to fully recover from one very wet and cold Spring.

• Advertisement

Shot 2 rooks and 2 jackdaws in a few minutes this morning! Terrible the amount of them around!

Don't forget that if you are relying on breeding wild pheasants for your shooting, a bad Spring will impact on numbers (as with all ground nesting species). It can take a population a few years to fully recover from one very wet and cold Spring.

Red Grouse had very poor breeding success in Ballycroy this year.

Crows more so than jackdaws. Magpies will aswell. Carrion crows and grey crows will take chicks too if unguarded.
    Not many Carrion crows in Ireland.

Shot 2 carrions and 2 jackdaws in a few minutes this morning! Terrible the amount of them around!
    are you in the north i think it is one of the only places in ireland that their are a few carrion crows,they are all over england scotland and wales not as many grey crows their, its greys that are mostly in ireland .

My apologies I meant rooks! What a rooky mistake! No pun intended!

No I'm in kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It appears from reading responses to this thread that the various Mustelidae's present in our countryside are innocent crathurs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Base price wrote: »
    It appears from reading responses to this thread that the various Mustelidae's present in our countryside are innocent crathurs :rolleyes:

All but one of them are protected mammals.
    However Vulpes Vulpes,Pica Pica and Corvus Tristis are not, and should be concentrated on, if one wishes to control vermin.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Base price wrote: »

I'm mounting my own personal war on mink;)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

Any body notice an increase in Ravens.
    There has been a population explosion round are area.
    From seeing one or two a year to seeing 15/20 at a time.
    I don't know they would be with taking game birds and the like, but we now have them by the dozen or more.

They are a big problem on grouse moors in scotland all the crow family can not be trusted.Some are protected,i think the raven and not sure about the jay.

• Advertisement

They are a big problem on grouse moors in scotland all the crow family can not be trusted.Some are protected,i think the raven and not sure about the jay.

Chough???

Chough???
    They are in fact harmless their diet is insects and their larve the only one of the crow family that has a clean record.

Tikka391 wrote: »
    Any body notice an increase in Ravens.
    There has been a population explosion round are area.
    From seeing one or two a year to seeing 15/20 at a time.
    I don't know they would be with taking game birds and the like, but we now have them by the dozen or more.

Love seeing ravens about. Was gonna get one myself. Very smart birds. I also went from seeing the rare one to stumbling upon a dead sheep that had 7 on it then seeing them almost everyday when I'm out hunting. They're a lot more than a standard crow. They will also hunt. Rats and small bunnies are on the menu. They're pretty fast when they want to be. Seeing one go full stoop on a female buzzard in lugala

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Ravens are amazing birds, have a pair roost on our shoot. I watch them heading off into the hills at dawn and back again at dusk. You don't realize how big they are until you get close to a tame one. They are HUGE! I don't know how they impact on pheasants but they've always been here so probably not much.
    Seeing one go full stoop on a female buzzard in lugala

I've seen them chase off birds of prey as well, possibly doing the pheasants a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

We have a couple of big sheep farmers round our way, they hate to see them this time of year. We can sort the grays no bother but can't touch the big lads. They cause them a lot of worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

I thought ravens only eat carrion - never heard of them killing lambs .

They are causeing problems in scotland killing lambs farmers are going mad over not been able to shoot them big flocks pecking young lambs to death a lot of farmers have moved them indoors,the pouplation has exploded in scotland they are the cleverest bird around they will take game birds, small mammals, frogs and feed on carrion and seeds and berries only see a odd won around our part of the country thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

For me, it's all about habitat loss. Farming methods have changed the face of the countryside. When I was a young fella, there were pheasants everywhere. Everyone had little gardens sown, and there were orchards all over the place.

Has anyone noticed how little pheasants there are in stubble fields? Pesticides must play a big part in the success rate of pheasant chic survival. I mean, the stuff is pure poison.

Also, pest control wasn't a big thing years ago, compared to nowadays. There was loads of fox's, mags, grey crows back then, and we had ton's of pheasants.

So, even though predation is certainly putting pressure on pheasant numbers, it's not the main reason for the decline imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Eddie B wrote: »
    For me, it's all about habitat loss. Farming methods have changed the face of the countryside. When I was a young fella, there were pheasants everywhere. Everyone had little gardens sown, and there were orchards all over the place.

Has anyone noticed how little pheasants there are in stubble fields? Pesticides must play a big part in the success rate of pheasant chic survival. I mean, the stuff is pure poison.

Also, pest control wasn't a big thing years ago, compared to nowadays. There was loads of fox's, mags, grey crows back then, and we had ton's of pheasants.

So, even though predation is certainly putting pressure on pheasant numbers, it's not the main reason for the decline imo.

Completely agree the biggest problem pheasant face is habitat loss and pesticide use

• Advertisement

We still have 3quaters of our cover left bogs and scrubby coners woods and good ditches places where i hunted from i was 16 still much the same but wild pheasants are not their in numbers any more we only started putting out pheasants this last 7 years, the wild birds give us the best of hunting for years ,foxs were kept down and mags and grey crows but in other areas then dam all fox shooting going on but their was still plenty of wild pheasants something has changed in the last few years that killed of a lot of the wild birds.

Advertisement