Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The point of competitive sports

• 29-12-2016 12:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭

What's the point of games such as football and the Olympics? Human technology is so advanced at this point that the things done at Olympics are useless. Like who cares if you can swim the fastest I can get on a jet ski and outperform you by a massive amount. You run fast? I will get on my bike and you will have no time to react before I am gone even if you are Usain bolt. The best one is football some guys running around for hours catching a ball like cats what is the point? What purpose does it serve to advance the humanity? We should be looking at ways to colonize our solar system and beyond not watching men run around chasing a ball for no reason.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Johnboner wrote: »
    What's the point of games such as football and the Olympics? Human technology is so advanced at this point that the things done at Olympics are useless. Like who cares if you can swim the fastest I can get on a jet ski and outperform you by a massive amount. You run fast? I will get on my bike and you will have no time to react before I am gone even if you are Usain bolt. The best one is football some guys running around for hours catching a ball like cats what is the point? What purpose does it serve to advance the humanity? We should be looking at ways to colonize our solar system and beyond not watching men run around chasing a ball for no reason.

Nobody is stopping you doing so, work away......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

It's a celebration of the human bodies capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Moany old git can't run out of his own way thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

What do you do for fun OP? Genuine question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Not everything has to have a purpose to advance humanity.
    All work and no play and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It's to help reduce our warring instincts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Eh Fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

To win.

To be the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

For the craic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Enjoyment . Simple as that really. Most sports without the competitive aspect aren't as enjoyable so you need that and not just the activity itself to get the most out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

It's to help reduce our warring instincts.

I've thought about this a lot and I think it is indeed a product of our warring instincts. It's also to provide entertainment and social cohesion and also to provide inspiration for kids to do sports.
    I think the new professional ethos has changed the goalposts a bit and it's one of the reasons I admire the GAA the pinnacle of which is is sport for sports same and not the huge money that other sports can offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

You'd never do the turns in a swimming pool :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

The only sport that makes sense to me is fighting sports as they can be used for survival by fighting against thughs and other predators. Other than that I just don't see the point, more like a waste of limited time that we have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

Hammar wrote: »
    Nobody is stopping you doing so, work away......

One man can only do so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

There's some very bored people in this world who dream up nonsense like this to be able to have a conversation on a Wednesday.

Personally I prefer beer and TV and a pizza if I'm going mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One of the things I love about sport is that it is direct competition.

So, while in other fields, you can ask 'Who is better Da Vinci or Michelangelo? Who is better, Scorsese or the Coen brothers? Who is better, Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen?' it's all just opinion no matter how objective you try and be.

But with sport, you get the same questions... 'Who is better, Pacquiao or Mayweather? Who is better, Barcelona or Chelsea?' but you actually get answers to those questions.

In a lot of other fields, you can get by purely on hype, but in sport, after all the hype, there is competition, and the cream really does rise to the top and the rest get found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if you have to ask.....................

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Another limp-wristed sweathog.

Advertisement