Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board game - terrible quality

Options
  • 29-12-2016 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi folks, my kids got the Hasbro game 'Mouse Trap' as a Christmas gift. Putting it together this evening I realised that the quality is nowhere near as good as it was when the game originally came out (1990 ish?)

It's essentially unplayable, the 'traps' don't work, it's fiddly to put together and I can't see it lasting very long.
    I've read some reviews online tonight and a lot of people are having the same issues.

My question is, do I have any rights on this? Can I bring it back to Smyths for a refund or exchange for another item? Or perhaps should I attempt to get in touch with Hasbro?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It's only 20 quid, I can't see it being near the quality of the original if that's the case...

You could try bring it back to the retailer I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have a chat with the customer desk in Smyths, long ago they used to be good anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

OP do you think ite really unplayable? are you suggesting every copy of the game sold by smyths this year left a customer with an unplayable game?

or is that hyperbole for i dont like it, and im not impressed with it?

its important because if you return a faulty game smyths are obliged to resolve your issues.
    if you dont like the fiddlyness if the game its essentially a change of mind situation where you rely on the good will of smyths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The mind boggles how you can make the cheap handful of bits of plastic that made up the original game any cheaper?

From the 90's ??? Had to look it up as I was sure it was around in the 70's actually first released in 1963.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

OP do you think ite really unplayable? are you suggesting every copy of the game sold by smyths this year left a customer with an unplayable game?

or is that hyperbole for i dont like it, and im not impressed with it?

its important because if you return a faulty game smyths are obliged to resolve your issues.
    if you dont like the fiddlyness if the game its essentially a change of mind situation where you rely on the good will of smyths.

Definitely unplayable. There's a 'trap' which is meant to lean on a plastic branch, but the way it's made, it doesn't reach.

I've researched it since attempting to put it together and I'm not the first to come across this issue.
    my3cents wrote: »
    The mind boggles how you can make the cheap handful of bits of plastic that made up the original game any cheaper?

From the 90's ??? Had to look it up as I was sure it was around in the 70's actually first released in 1963.

The game I had was made in the late 80s/early 90s and was most definitely better quality than the one we've got. Unfortunately, many remakes of vintage board games are of worse quality than the original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you are going to go back to Smyth you would want to do so soon rather than later. The longer you have the game, the more it will seem you have just become bored with it after multiple uses over Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Lynfo wrote: »
    Definitely unplayable. There's a 'trap' which is meant to lean on a plastic branch, but the way it's made, it doesn't reach.

In that case they could well just replace it with one that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Hi folks, my kids got the Hasbro game 'Mouse Trap' as a Christmas gift. Putting it together this evening I realised that the quality is nowhere near as good as it was when the game originally came out (1990 ish?)

It's essentially unplayable, the 'traps' don't work, it's fiddly to put together and I can't see it lasting very long.
    I've read some reviews online tonight and a lot of people are having the same issues.

My question is, do I have any rights on this? Can I bring it back to Smyths for a refund or exchange for another item? Or perhaps should I attempt to get in touch with Hasbro?

Not questioning that your copy might well be shoddy, but I've just out of the blue had a memory from 20 years ago of how finnicky it was then
    trying to put the thing together so that the whole sequence worked. I'd say 4 times out of 5 it failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've researched it since attempting to put it together and I'm not the first to come across this issue.

The game I had was made in the late 80s/early 90s and was most definitely better quality than the one we've got. Unfortunately, many remakes of vintage board games are of worse quality than the original.

Had the exact same experience. It's like something out of a cheap cracker. The game play is good fun. But the shockingly poor build quality makes it unplayable. We got it to work, but every turn it falls apart. We were fit to throw it out the window.

Advertisement