Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst grub you've had out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Another one low on my list was an Outback steakhouse in Jacksonville FL, north side near the airport, which I visited with friends about 18 months ago. They screwed up the orders and then brought things out of sequence, but the food was also bad. I just checked the menu again for a reminder: I had a Ribeye steak which was over-done and tough, totally forgettable, but the kicker was the "Aussie-Tizer®" (ugh), a thing called a Bloomin' Onion.

Their description:
    Our special onion is hand-carved, cooked until golden and ready to dip into our spicy signature bloom sauce.
    My description:
    A bog-standard onion that had been assaulted by Crocodile Dundee, drenched in cayenne pepper and other dry spices, then deep-fried until it screamed for mercy, then served at a huge markup with some sauce from a 2-gallon plastic bottle.
    :mad:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

All those places like TGI Friday's, Captain America, Hard Rock Cafe are awful. Dreadful food thrown out and inflated prices. Their popularity is a mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

cbreeze wrote: »
    'Blue' on Harbour Road, Skerries: while the food is generally just below the average, i.e. stale fish, completely overdone burgers served cold, the' take it or leave it' service is probably the worst in North County Dublin. We were kept waiting over an hour from when the mains were cleared away for afters to be delivered. We would have walked out only it was a family birthday which was completely spoiled. We have never been back, and always warn our friends to keep well clear. :mad:

+1 , food mediocre , service abysmal , overpriced ,overhyped and staff attitudes up their own arses , haven't been back after similar experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I ordered a bowl of soup in an airport and the menu said it came with a ham sandwich. The ham sandwich was two pieces each about 3x1 inches (they obviously made one sandwich and cut it up to cover about 6 orders).

If one had not been expensing the lunch, one would have been having serious words for paying over 10 pounds for such a travesty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

I seem to have been quite lucky in that our Edddie Rockest (now Rockin' Joes, trivia fans!) is quite ok.

I do recall a Lasagne in Skibbereen once which achieved the difficult concept of being burnt AND cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I second Wetherspoons in Dun Laoghaire (40 foot). Should have known when the prices were so reasonable. Even misled with the gastro bistro style menus.

Food was absolute dog****e and I'm not picky. Even the seagulls weren't impressed.

I'll also echo TGIs, both on Stephens Green and Dundrum, totally rotten and not cheap.

I actually am surprised at the Captain's Americas bad reviews, I normally get the Cajun chicken burger meal that's fairly nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Chicken and egg fried rice in the Budda's Belly restaurant. The chicken was so tough it asked me outside for a fight at one stage. Chinese chicken is nearly always tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I suppose I can add "worst fry" to this thread as well. The odd time I treat myself to a fry, but a few years back I went to The Kylemore Cafe in O'Connell Street. Dear lord, it was terrible, rashers and sausages swimming in their own grease, served with rubber egg and toast. To say my stomach was painfully bloated and growling after consuming that mess is a bit of an understatement, I must have wolfed down a whole packet of rennies to keep me at bay. Seriously avoid!!!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Captain America in Grafton Street. Quite simply the worst meal I've ever had and I have very low standards when it comes to food.

That's a real shame. Haven't been there in years but about a decade ago the grub there was pretty good for the type of restaurant it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Abbeyleix around 8 years back it was a former pub in the square that lost it's licence and he carried on serving dinners.

Got caught out in that place too. The Eagles Nest or Rest, it was called. Last time I passed the place has been completely renovated into an Italian joint.

I suppose I can add "worst fry" to this thread as well. The odd time I treat myself to a fry, but a few years back I went to The Kylemore Cafe in O'Connell Street. Dear lord, it was terrible, rashers and sausages swimming in their own grease, served with rubber egg and toast. To say my stomach was painfully bloated and growling after consuming that mess is a bit of an understatement, I must have wolfed down a whole packet of rennies to keep me at bay. Seriously avoid!!!!!

All those kind of places have gone down hill over the years. The people employed to cook aren't familiar with how to actually cook and present food like that. The other problem is that the food will only maintain any kind of quality for a short period of time under the lamps. If the turnover is slow, the food suffers and Kylemore isn't cheap either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Weatherspoons / shudder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Del Arte in Crescent SC Limerick, ordered the calzone and waited a good 30 mins for it, which was not a problem I don't mind waiting for food.

But when it arrived I cut into it and took one bite and it was freezing, the cheese was not even melted, the mushrooms were still raw it was just awful, I usually don't complain about food but when the waitress asked was everything alright I had to say no, she took one look at my plate and said that looks raw.

The staff were lovely but food was just awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Myself and Mrs snapper went to Molly Darcy's in Killarney a few years ago and every aspect of the meal was bad, the service, starters, main . I think even the coffee was dire .

Anyway it used to be very good so I decided to send a personnel message on Facebook and manager got back to me and agreed 100% that standards were terrible and gave me free starter and main and desert for 4 people but asked if I'd leave it 2 months before returning so he could have time to sort place out .

sugarman wrote: »
    Some pox of a traditional french restaurant in Lille.

It was a family run spot and upon entering it was clear it was full of friends, family and locals that all knew each other quite well. I tried my best to ask for a table/seat in french and I literally had menus ****ed at me and was told sit wherever.

I asked to order a few times whilst being ignored, so stood up and went over and eyes were rolled to heaven and not so much as an acknowledgement came from her. Id ordered what I understood to be a traditional french sausage in Dijon mustard and breadcrumbs served with fries.

And surprisingly, thats what I got. I stick the fork into the sausage and get an awful bang of what I can only describe as raw sewage. I literally though one of the lads were letting off beer farts from the previous night. I cut into it with a knife and it get worse. I attempted to eat it but almost vomited with an already delicate stomach from 2 weeks of boozing.

Curisoity got the better of me anyway and I opened up the rest of it on the plate... by god I never seen anything as bad! There was every part of god knows what animal in there... what looked like entrails, spinal cords, lungs, liver... testicles.. I dont know and dont want to know!

€15 pissed away for essentially a plate of chips.

I have to add, the snotty restaurants opening hours were 2-3pm and then 5-5.45pm and would not serve my friends who arrived near 3pm. This was during the euros, when 100,000 fans were in the city and they didnt give a single ****!

The French couldnt run a bath.

It looks like you are describing "Andouillette" and from your description you got a very good traditional one too. I've never had the balls to try it after sitting beside another diner eating it. The fooking smell man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've had a fair few barely edible meals when eating out - most restaurants really, really struggle with the notion of a meat-free meal.
    A recent highlight was place in Clonakilty (I honestly don't remember what it was called) that had a vegetarian burrito on the menu. What I got was a tortilla that had been wrapped around some baked beans and what I assume were assorted leftover vegetables, doused in sweet chili sauce, and then covered with cheese and baked. It's not a winning combination.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Grandeeod wrote: »
    It looks like you are describing "Andouillette" and from your description you got a very good traditional one too. I've never had the balls to try it after sitting beside another diner eating it. The fooking smell man!

Had one myself this summer although the waitress was kind enough to warn me when I ordered it. I normally eat anything but this was hoaching. Had to cover it in mustard to enable myself to eat about half of it before I gave up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

All those kind of places have gone down hill over the years. The people employed to cook aren't familiar with how to actually cook and present food like that. The other problem is that the food will only maintain any kind of quality for a short period of time under the lamps. If the turnover is slow, the food suffers and Kylemore isn't cheap either.

Agree Kylemore has gone downhill. Was there a few months ago and the standard has certainly dropped since the years I was there before. Might have something to do with hardly any Irish cooking or serving food there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Bison on Wellington Quay. BBQ stuff on a work night out. The chicken had the texture of cardboard and equally as dry.

Awfully horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Got caught out in that place too. The Eagles Nest or Rest, it was called. Last time I passed the place has been completely renovated into an Italian joint.
    Yeah, the man that owned the place was Italian. A very chatty Italian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

cbreeze wrote: »
    'Blue' on Harbour Road, Skerries: while the food is generally just below the average, i.e. stale fish, completely overdone burgers served cold, the' take it or leave it' service is probably the worst in North County Dublin.

Lovindublin were eulogising their chicken wings a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I stayed in the Corbett Court a few weeks ago in Fermoy for work and I have to say the food was rotten.

We had dinner which was just about okay but way over priced for what it was. If work wasn't paying for it I'd have felt cheated.
    But by far and away the worst food I've ever been served was during breakfast. The fry didn't look great so I asked for scrambled eggs so they said to take a seat and they'd drop them down to me. A few mins later the waitress came down with a plate of watery white lumpy crap. It didn't taste or look like eggs and the texture was awful, full of hard lumps of God knows what. I was hungry so ate most of it with some toast but if you're a chef by profession and you can't even do scrambled eggs to a microwave standard then you're seriously in the wrong profession!

An awful breakfast, I'm even pissed off just thinking about how little they seemed to care about the food they were serving up that morning.

I stayed in the Corbett Court a few weeks ago in Fermoy for work and I have to say the food was rotten.

We had dinner which was just about okay but way over priced for what it was. If work wasn't paying for it I'd have felt cheated.
    But by far and away the worst food I've ever been served was during breakfast. The fry didn't look great so I asked for scrambled eggs so they said to take a seat and they'd drop them down to me. A few mins later the waitress came down with a plate of watery white lumpy crap. It didn't taste or look like eggs and the texture was awful, full of hard lumps of God knows what. I was hungry so ate most of it with some toast but if you're a chef by profession and you can't even do scrambled eggs to a microwave standard then you're seriously in the wrong profession!

An awful breakfast, I'm even pissed off just thinking about how little they seemed to care about the food they were serving up that morning.

I find in a lot of establishments that their idea of scrambled egg is a bitta egg mixed up with a whole lotta milk. The end result is a big white sloppy mess which doesn't even taste like egg. Cheapskates.

I am in Naples, the place where the pizza was invented. Last night I had the worst pizza of my entire life. Worse than the time I tried to make pizza and the dough didnt rise properly. Last night was just terrible, but I ate it because I was cold and starving. It didnt help that I asked for a glass of wine and the wine was ice cold. It was a soggy doughy mess.
    If Dominos delivered that to me I'd laugh in their face and shut the door, but I dont know the italian for "Are you f%$king kidding me?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Figlio di puttana, Li mortacci tua!

Figlio di puttana, Li mortacci tua!
    Great. Now I can spell it, but I still can't pronounce it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Great. Now I can spell it, but I still can't pronounce it.
    Everything is pronounced just as it's written except "cc" is pronounced "ch"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I got a steak with a lemon sauce one time in galway. The steak was good and the sauce was alright, but they really didn't belong together.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not me but sat at a table in a hotel probably 30 years ago. It was a conference and they were serving dinner. The guy with the "special treat" took it all in his stride but as a vegetarian I was put off my own food when he prised a white "grub" away from his cauliflower cheese....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

83 reasons why I never eat out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Any food at festivals. €6 for a crap tepid burger thrown together and usually mushy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I had the misfortune of eating in Jimmy Chungs on the quays a few back. Absolute muck. Trays of terrible food under lights. The lowest quality meat swimming in lurid coloured sauces. Loud and fat Dublin people swarming about the buffet as yet another tray of disgusting gloop is brought out from wherever they heat the food up.

Those all-you-can-eat places appeal to the greedy and slovenly. It's the false perception of value that makes them so popular with a certain strata of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Graces7 wrote: »
    83 reasons why I never eat out ;)

You haven't changed anyway.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Nor has my income ;)

Someone has reminded me of the time they decideded when new to Ireland, to introduce me to Chinese food... from a takeaway in a small Donegal village... She took one mouthful before I could start, spat it out then removed everything. from in front of us......She still, 10 years later, remembers the appalling taste

Even the feral cats would not touch it.... ;)

I had the misfortune of eating in Jimmy Chungs on the quays a few back. Absolute muck. Trays of terrible food under lights. The lowest quality meat swimming in lurid coloured sauces. Loud and fat Dublin people swarming about the buffet as yet another tray of disgusting gloop is brought out from wherever they heat the food up.

Those all-you-can-eat places appeal to the greedy and slovenly. It's the false perception of value that makes them so popular with a certain strata of society.

Sounds like a scene from hell... I have a increasingly limited diet now due to increasing illness so need absolutely to know what is in what I eat. always take a flask out with me and so enjoy my picnics in beautiful places..

Reading this thread affirms that! Maybe someone should start a counter thread?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Thank you; a kindness,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Graces7 wrote: »
    Someone has reminded me of the time they decideded when new to Ireland, to introduce me to Chinese food... from a takeaway in a small Donegal village... She took one mouthful before I could start, spat it out then removed everything. from in front of us......She still, 10 years later, remembers the appalling taste

Even the feral cats would not touch it.... ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Paris about 10 years ago, we schlepped across the city to a Macrobiotic restaurant one of the girls wanted to try.

awful doesn't begin to describe it. it wasn't food, it was what food eats. I think we had to go somewhere else afterwards, we were still hungry. The poor girl has never lived it down ands it's now the benchmark for rubbish food in our circle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭conor2469

The worst I ever had was TGI Fridays in Dundrum, Was brought to a dirty table with dirty cutlery. Left waiting 25 minutes, the dinner eventually came out cold on a dirty plate, greasy, tough chicken and horrible cold pasta. Staff were non existent.

Like previous posters mentioned the Blue bar in Skerries has terrible service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 coffeeandgolf

Worst was in Appleby's - rubber chicken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

A hotel in Killarney. We drove out there and there wasn't a soul inside the place, dead as anything. I had a woeful hangover and had the munchies to match. I ordered an omelette. It took them the better half of 45 minutes to bring it out and on the plate lay a yellow mess lying in pools of grease. No matter the fact I was starving, I couldn't eat it. It was appalling beyond belief. One of the easiest things to prepare no customers there and this is what I'm dealing with. I was then charged 15 euros. If I had had a clearer head I would have refused to pay but I just wanted to get away from the place as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Good salad was ruined by being served with a fly perched on top of it :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Saw this the other day & thought it'd be handy info to hang on to for the year ahead.

It's a list of Michelin 2017’s Eating Out in Pubs Guide.

Wexford
    Lobster Pot (Carne)

Off topic, but anyone know how to pronounce "Carne" as a place in Ireland?
    Is it the same as Spanish/Portuguese.

Anyway, for me, Supermacs in Cobh. Ordered a battered fish dish as I guess the ocean air made me crave it, was atrocious. Worst thing I ever attempted to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

KungPao wrote: »
    Off topic, but anyone know how to pronounce "Carne" as a place in Ireland?
    Is it the same as Spanish/Portuguese.

Prounounced kern (cairn) locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

conor2469 wrote: »
    Like previous posters mentioned the Blue bar in Skerries has terrible service.

So bad. The place has an amazing location going for it. But the food is mediocre and seriously overpriced and the service is below average.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Over the past few months I have noticed how all the Chinese take aways around me just seem to be serving tasteless greasy cr@p and passing it off as food.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Over the past few months I have noticed how all the Chinese take aways around me just seem to be serving tasteless greasy cr@p and passing it off as food.

A lot of Chinese places and non-national places for that matter pass tripe off as chicken, probably why it can be tasteless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement