Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 207: Nunes vs Rousey (Women's Bantamweight Title)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Was it me or did Magny look much bigger next to Hendricks.
    Rousey is motivating herself by putting herself against the world but looks like a baby for not having her hole kissed every second after Holm beat her. UFC couldn't have treated her better after she handled the loss worse than any person reacting to it.
    In great condition but Edmund is in her corner. Pity it wasn't Rizin where he could stand in for Cain vs Werdum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Rousey is in far and away the best shape of her career. If it goes to the later rounds you'd have to fancy her to win with Nunes history of gassing out.

So pumped for Cruz v NoLove too. Torn on it. Think Cody has the tools to beat him but he's getting very emotional which is exactly what Dom wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Don't understand any love (RDRR) for Cody. He can bang but he's a complete tube. 50-45 or maybe even a later round TKO for Cruz.

I can't stand Honda's attitude but somehow find myself warming to her as the week goes on. As has been said, she looks in fantastic shape.

Really looking forward to TJ-Lineker and Kim-Saffeidine. Should be a good card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

For as bad as boxing as Rousey has I have to say she does have some power in her right hand even when she was in trouble she hurt Holm and Holly tried to clinch because she was hurt, Hope Nunes doesnt take her lightly and walk into something stupid never mind her grappling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Ronda's behaviour could look like a stroke of genius if she wins and especially if she shows some improved striking skills..... it'll look like she did exactly what she needed to do and Edmond will once again take his place alongside other coaching Gods, such as Ido Portal :)

If, however, she loses badly and skips the post-fight presser, then it's all bad news - both for her fighting and acting career, the latter largely depends on the former. If she loses, the headlines will be: Bad Loser/Bully/Scaredy Cat/Drama Queen/Mentally Weak/Unprofessional/Finished.... they'll throw it all at her.

Basic thoughts on fight: If it ends in Round 1 or early in round 2, Nunes is getting her hand raised after a KO. Any other round, it's Ronda walking off with the win.

(Unless Ronda is a mental-wreck fighting for all the wrong reasons - in which case Amanda just wins period, any round, any way.)

That possibility aside - Amanda is extremely technical on the ground (when fresh) and I can see her giving Ronda enough problems from her back (early) to ensure there will be no easy transitions to the arm-bar.

Nunes gas tank isn't quite at the Yoel Romero level of terrible but it's not far off it either. If Ronda gets her down after the 8-minute-mark, it's game over. She'll cut straight through her like Demian Maia and be walking off with Amanda's arm and her belt back.

I can't see Cruz v Garbrandt going the full 5 rounds - I see Dom finishing Cody decisively inside 3 rounds.

People are sleeping on Dom's punching accuracy. Cody may have more raw power but Cruz has decent hands himself for the weight class - he dropped Urijah clean and that's something not many bantamweights can do.

The other thing about it is that accurate shots gets amplified when timing an on-rushing opponent. Just gotta take one look at Stipe against Werdum or Conor against Aldo. When you rush in like that and get caught with an accurate strike, the forward momentum really is a huge factor (I have a hard time believing either Aldo or Werdum would have ended up unconscious from those short counter-hooks if they were moving backwards. Hurt/wobbled at best).

Cody will look to blitz Dom and I think he'll get dropped (possibly more than once) and Dom will pick up the win either by KO or by taking his back after dropping him (rear-naked-choke).

I think Cody is an excellent prospect and has clear potential to become a champion but it's too much, too soon for him. I'm leaning towards a Round 2 finish for Dom but I can also see a 13-second type situation happening with Cody bull-rushing and getting caught clean.

The media are massively over-hyping this card. The top 3 fights are all great for hardcore fans but let's be real it's Ronda, a bantamweight tournament and sweet F all beyond that. Honestly, how many people would set their alarm for Tarec Saffiedine? He's more likely to put us to sleep than keep us awake.

And for casual fans, it's simply Ronda and a bunch of "who the F are all those guys?".

We're still seeing the consequences of stacking UFC 200 and 205 playing out here. If you take Ronda off this card, it would do maybe 170,000 to 240,000 buys on a Friday. With Ronda on it, I imagine it does between 620,000 to 790,000 - somewhere in that region. If it does higher than 800,000 it'd be a miracle given the circumstances. If it does 1 million+ I will eat my shoelaces.

It's actually more likely that this card does close to a full million LESS buys than UFC 205 which is a pretty crazy reflection of the gap between Conor and the rest.

Disappointing PPV buys will only matter to Dana if Rousey loses. If she wins, it's all good. It sets up Ronda v Holly and that'll easily do over 1 million if they promote it properly. If she loses, there'll be a whatsapp incoming in the McGregor household from Dana on when the private jet is picking him up.

Have to say this is a pretty solid card even allowing for the loss of the Cain Werdum fight, as a hardcore fan Im more excited than I was for 206 anyways theres some good match ups on the undercard first fight is Tim Means a nut job who will be winging elbows at the Brazilian Cowboy,

Brandon Thatch desperately needs a win that guy throws heat think he was favourite to beat Gunni at 189 all downhill since his grappling and gas tank let him down but hes fun to watch, Louis Smolka doesnt do boring fights expect some crazy scrambles and submissions with one of them getting choked out, Magny Rig is nothing special but could be Hendricks last fight,

Lineker Dillashaw is a good fight the Brazilian comes to take your head off feeling this might look like TJ Barao with Lineker getting picked off, there has been much worse cards I really cannot wait to see how Honda rebounds probably top 5 most anticipated ive been to see a fight really looking forward to it hoping Amanda starches her.

Normally I think the play acting and pretend squaring up is just for the cameras but Garbrandt seems to be a legit hot head haha, he is constantly getting held back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I think people are sleeping on Cody's power, I think he has seriously heavy hands for a Bantamweight and has impressive wins, especially against Almedia. I hope Dom gets the win, he's one of my favourite fighters and has turned into a really good trash talker since he started working at Fox. Dom was laughing and having a joke while Cody was completely losing the plot which makes me think Cody could come out way over aggressive.

Hopefully Lineker can do everybody a favour and shut TJ's lights out. He's been a whining crybaby since he didn't get the title shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Its a pity Cain/Werdum is off but still think tonights card is pretty good. Agreed with the above post, big Cruz fan and obviously hope he wins but for some reason I've got a bad feeling about the fight.
    I'm no fan of Rousey but reckon she'll sub Nunes early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Just binged on the embedded vids there and while I've never been a huge fan of Dom Cruz - I've a newfound respect for the guy - he does what he wants, daddy cool, talking shít, staying calm, doing his own thing. I think he's going to dismantle Cody, who's obviously not to be taken lightly, the guy has heavy hands but Dom has him riled up and that compounded with Cody not having too many fights go beyond the first round, doesn't bode well for a 5 round fight. I really would love to see Cody vs. TJ, think that'd be a great fight.

Nunes too seems really relaxed, she's marching to the beat of her own drum, not playing up too much to Ronda not being around. It's going to be interesting in that we don't know what we'll get with Ronda - will we see better stand up, better tactics from her corner? Will she get cracked like she did in Melbourne and have to battle through that? Either way I really want Nunes to win. Rondas the golden girl, but Nunes beat the living shít out of Tate, she absolutely ripped that title from her. I'd like to see Nunes light her up on her feet - use that jab, don't throw too many kicks to avoid takedowns etc.

Ronda historically being a poor sport, handling defeat like a child, getting preferential treatment re: media for this event has me wanting her to be defeated soundly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

I am rooting against Rousey, i don't like her. She admitted to domestic violence in her book and has had absolutely no repressions for it, well i suppose society and the media is to blame for that really. But then not doing any media whatsoever. Media is all part of it, the viewers are interested in hearing from the fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Christmas was a nice distraction from this :D Night out tonight, try and stay semi sober for the main card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I don't think I'm going to bother with watching this live. Set the box on BT sport to record this and whatever is on after it in case it runs late and then watch with some bacon and eggs and a big mug of coffee in the morning before I go get choked by a rake of young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

I am rooting against Rousey, i don't like her. She admitted to domestic violence in her book and has had absolutely no repressions for it, well i suppose society and the media is to blame for that really. But then not doing any media whatsoever. Media is all part of it, the viewers are interested in hearing from the fighters.

Not her biggest fan but the guy took photos of her nude without permission and tried to stop her leaving ......

Anyway hope Amanda knocks the ****e out of her

Also routing for Cruz in my top 3 favourite fighters of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not her biggest fan but the guy took photos of her nude without permission and tried to stop her leaving ......

^^^ This.. Midnight you obviously didn't read the book.
    She admitted to domestic violence in her book
    ^^^ LOL

I don't know what kind of world you live in but for the snide creepy, sly & cowardly stunt he pulled with taking photos like that he deserved his legs broke IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hoping Cruz gets flattened, really can't stand him.

Random thought but could Mendes make 135?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Cody's eyebrows freak me out. Way too manicured, someone needs to have a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hoping Cruz gets flattened, really can't stand him.

Random thought but could Mendes make 135?

I'd imagine so, he walks around pretty light, between 150-55 and the fact that he's off the sauce too means he might come back a little lighter although that might adversely affect his weight cutting ability.

That said if Faber can make the weight at his age, I'd assume Mendes could too.

Cruz is a pyscho I wouldnt be surprised if he was a serial killer on his off time, loved that shot of him on the treadmill on embedded getting ready for war on his own and it cuts to Cody with all the Alpha Male guys get together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Gamebred wrote: »
    Cruz is a pyscho I wouldnt be surprised if he was a serial killer on his off time, loved that shot of him on the treadmill on embedded getting ready for war on his own and it cuts to Cody with all the Alpha Male guys get together.
    Thought it spoke volumes - normally it's the champ who's enjoying the riches, yet there he is, banging out some miles on the treadmill in an empty gym on Christmas day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Rousey didn't exactly hang around at the weigh in did she.. You could hear the annoyance of the media people there who were just looking for a picture. I can understand her wanting to stay focused after the previous loss (in the same way McGregor did after his loss to Diaz), but surely there's a minimum that is demanded of her to try to sell the thing.

Nunes is a beast. A much bigger physical unit, even though they both weighed in at exactly 135lbs. Rousey looks in very good condition, but I think she'd have to get a submission to win. Nunes looked vicious against Meisha Tate.

I loved Nunes in the staredown shes calmness personified zero fear in that woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I don't think I'm going to bother with watching this live. Set the box on BT sport to record this and whatever is on after it in case it runs late and then watch with some bacon and eggs and a big mug of coffee in the morning before I go get choked by a rake of young lads.

lol my exact morning tomorrow!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Rouseys v Nunes will be roughly 5am Irish time. is that right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Rousey didn't exactly hang around at the weigh in did she.. You could hear the annoyance of the media people there who were just looking for a picture. I can understand her wanting to stay focused after the previous loss (in the same way McGregor did after his loss to Diaz), but surely there's a minimum that is demanded of her to try to sell the thing.

Nunes is a beast. A much bigger physical unit, even though they both weighed in at exactly 135lbs. Rousey looks in very good condition, but I think she'd have to get a submission to win. Nunes looked vicious against Meisha Tate.

It's clear its not even about the media burden, just a year long temper tantrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭finglashoop

siobhan08 wrote: »
    Rouseys v Nunes will be roughly 5am Irish time. is that right ?

Yep. Depends on how many previous fights go the distance but in that ball park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

That's where I stand on it too, at least say a few words at the weigh in.

Yep. Depends on how many previous fights go the distance but in that ball park

Great thanks, Debating on staying up for it . I'm in the Rousey corner :)

Post fight should be interesting if she wins, expect her to storm off with her belt like a spoiled child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I'm in the Rousey corner :)

You'll give better advice in Ronda's corner than Edmond Tarverdyan at least...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reports by some journos that 207 is the highest attended ufc ppv in vegas history and is on course to break the ppv buys record.

That's where I stand on it too, at least say a few words at the weigh in.

I'm not surprised to avoiding the media this time. The way the media and people on social media turned her after the Holm loss was the definition of kicking someone while they were down.

If speaking at the weight in was not an obligation she agreed to in her contract negotiations then she doesn’t have to speak at the weight in.

Clearly her lack of media appearances this week hasn't affected the numbers. If anything her lack of appearance has added to the hype
    http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ronda-rousey/report-ufc-207-will-attended-ufc-event-las-vegas-also-break-ppv-record/

I'm not surprised to avoiding the media this time. The way the media and people on social media turned her after the Holm loss was the definition of kicking someone while they were down.

If speaking at the weight in was not an obligation she agreed to in her contract negotiations then she doesn’t have to speak at the weight in

Please not this again. Arguably the biggest star in MMA history (at that point in time) gets badly KOed. Oh no big bad media, please don't ask me questions about this huge story.

Hey, Mike Tyson, Buster Douglas was a 42/1 underdog to beat you but after one of the biggest upsets in sporting history, we're not going to ask your any questions, OK?

Point out some examples of the media turning on her thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

If speaking at the weight in was not an obligation she agreed to in her contract negotiations then she doesn’t have to speak at the weight in.

Clearly her lack of media appearances this week hasn't affected the numbers. If anything her lack of appearance has added to the hype
    http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ronda-rousey/report-ufc-207-will-attended-ufc-event-las-vegas-also-break-ppv-record/

I Wouldn't believe anything on BJ Penn's website. Clickbait at its finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Reports of a lot of late money coming in for Rousey.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/12/30/14119504/ufc-207-final-betting-odds-ronda-rousey-vs-amanda-nunes-mma-gambling-bet-bookie-killer-tips-parlay

The opinion on that bloodyelbow.com site is split between Nunes winning early by TKO or Ronda winning by armbar submission.

It's actually ridiculous how many that Rousey has won with that armbar. Nunes must have spent half the camp working out how to stay away from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i'm starting to lean towards rousey now tbh, i mean yes her mentality is a big factor, but nunes is no world class striker like holm. her record just isn't that impressive. and she has a questionable gas tank. her win against miesha wasn't that impressive either - miesha had a terrible weight cut after some stupid new keto type diet (she actually collapsed in one of the embeddeds as i recall) and she had one foot out the door anyways. if ronda can put all doubt and fear of failure out of her mind (it's a big if tbh) i can see her taking it in round 1 or early 2.

i reckon nunes goes for the bumrush flurry early and if ronda has any sense she will not stand and bang with her and simply wait for a clinch opportunity after nunes is spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Nunes destroyed Tate. No matter the circumstances surrounding Tate, that was seriously impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The takedowns and submissions in that clip are impressive, but what's not impressive is just how much she gets hit getting in.

Awful footwork, and awful head movement, combined with her own awful striking technique, is what Holly exposed by just staying on the outside and countering. Before that she got by on being far physically stronger than her opponents, and she was tough enough that none of them could hurt her.

Nunes should do exactly what Holly did, but I think she'll rush her down and it'll either be a very quick KO from Nunes or a 1st round armbar from Rousey.

If it's a 1st round armbar it'll still answer no questions, and she'll probably retire as champion, rather than look for redemption against Holm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lol, cmon now.

Ronda, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i agree there was plenty of idiots hating on her after the loss, but it was primarily internet basement dwellers. the media simply pointed out how bad she performed against holly, and how her mentality was questionable. just like they would with any other fighter.

and ronda consistently showed a really bad attitude throughout her career, disrespecting opponents all the time. i'm thinking of the miesha tate stuff in particular. read up on it, she was an absolute dickhead to her.

finally, her spoiled child act the last year was nothing short of shameful tbh. she lost a fight, it happens every fighter. the last time i saw someone react to a loss like that was when i was in primary school. look at how mcgregor reacted to his loss - manned up, did the press stuff and immediately called for a rematch.

Great article on Rousey: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2684160-is-ronda-rousey-broken-or-ready-to-roar-back-her-past-may-offer-some-clues#
    Kind of invasive and speculative I know, but reads true. careful what you wish for....
    #AllAboutTheMother

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Hope Ronda murders this fanny squasher.

Mod: Grow up..banned for a month

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Great article on Rousey: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2684160-is-ronda-rousey-broken-or-ready-to-roar-back-her-past-may-offer-some-clues#
    Kind of invasive and speculative I know, but reads true. careful what you wish for....
    #AllAboutTheMother

That's almost a form of abuse Edmund is doing to Rousey.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    That's almost a form of abuse Edmund is doing to Rousey.

Yeah, nasty position Ronda seems to have trapped herself in - between overbearing can't ever be beaten mother and evil Edmund. That said - lots of other fighters have figured this stuff out, younger and in worse circumstances. Still feels bad though. Suspect it'd take waaay more than my amateur psycholgy-ing to work this one out. Still find it hard not to get behind Nunes.

Between Nunes/Rousey and Cruz/Garbrant and TJ/Linekar I'm oddly hyped up for this one. Must be the post-Christmas lull and boredom kicking in :D

• Advertisement

Hope Ronda murders this fanny squasher.

Mod: Grow up..banned for a month

Pretty sad that this sort of attitude still exists, especially given how female fighters like Nunes should be seen as role models. I'm embarrassed for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

How am I supposed to watch this and be up for work at 7 in the morning lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

stephenl15 wrote: »
    How am I supposed to watch this and be up for work at 7 in the morning lads

all night SESH bud

Sleep now and get up for 3am main card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Anyone notice how muscular Ronda is looking, Def carrying additional muscle mass than any of her previous fights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement