Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 207: Nunes vs Rousey (Women's Bantamweight Title)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

for me personally ronda will go down as the first, but very far away from the greatest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Some of the memes are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

John_D80 wrote: »
    Do you seriously think anyone will remember or even care about her refusal to engage with the media in 5, 10 or 20 years from now? Sure mate.

Its her achievements in the Octagon that she will be remembered for. Will most likely be the first female Hall of Famer. And deservedly so.

BJ Penn and Chuck both lost all but one of their last 6 or 7 fights as far as I remember and their legacies and places as legends of the sport are firmly intact. Rouseys will remain intact also.
    Chuck fought multiple hall of famers to be fair in his whole career, BJ penn to me will be remembered as wasted talent, he could of been so much more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Depp wrote: »
    tiger woods was a bad example to use tbh, while he is/was a fantastic golfer his legacy is severely tarnished by his behavior off the course, much like rouseys is by her behavior out of the cage.

Actually wouldn't that make him a good example seeing as he will be still be remembered as one of the greatest ever despite all his off course shenanigans?

Chuck fought multiple hall of famers to be fair in his whole career, BJ penn to me will be remembered as wasted talent, he could of been so much more

I totally agree, Chuck is a legend and deserves to be lauded as one.

My point is that his good name and legacy is not tarnished by the fact that he lost so many fights in his last few years in the sport. And I dont believe Ronda's legacy will be either.

• Advertisement

siobhan08 wrote: »
    She wouldn't even be competing in the main event and in the position of getting any ppv cut without the path Rousey paved in MMA for women.

She could have stayed classy in victory and instead she posted this !! Lot people saying the same to her in the comments on her twitter.

She was great and deserved the win, but she didn't need to be like all those other internet trolls

lol go away out of it hahaha :pac: Ronda is the queen of bad sportmanship, she beat Meisha and refused to shake her hand afterwards when meisha put her hand out, waved at a knocked out betch, moved hollys hand at the press conference to make it look like holly hit her. I have no sympathy for someone now having a go at her.

Actually wouldn't that make him a good example seeing as he will be still be remembered as one of the greatest ever despite all his off course shenanigans?

but his legacy is still tarnished, also re tiger he dominated at a time when his competitors were also high level, the standard of the womens 135 division has generally been dreadful

Saipanne wrote: »
    Some of the memes are great.

On sherdog you can download templates of that ''punchy face'' image in various sizes to suit your own meme requirements. :)

My point is that his good name and legacy is not tarnished by the fact that he lost so many fights in his last few years in the sport. And I dont believe Ronda's legacy will be either.

its not that she lost has her legacy in tatters, but how she reacted to the loss, chuck or bj never hid for a year after losing

but his legacy is still tarnished, also re tiger he dominated at a time when his competitors were also high level, the standard of the womens 135 division has generally been dreadful

Not gettin into golf talk sorry. My basic point was that a sportsperson can retain a decent legacy despite not being very popular or sliding in form in the latter years of their career.

• Advertisement

Not gettin into golf talk sorry. My basic point was that a sportsperson can retain a decent legacy despite not being very popular or sliding in form in the latter years of their career.

as i said a few posts ago, she'll go down as the first, and fair play to her for its a great legacy to leave, but no way shes ever going down as the greatest

its not that she lost has her legacy in tatters, but how she reacted to the loss, chuck or bj never hid for a year after losing

And again I say to this, so what if she did?

Why is she obligated to comment on anything if she doesn't want to? She chose to deal with a loss in her own way. People deal with loss/adversity differently.

as i said a few posts ago, she'll go down as the first, and fair play to her for its a great legacy to leave, but no way shes ever going down as the greatest

There was a time when the talent pool was so shallow that she was the greatest though, like it or not. :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Yeah its nothing to do with her being in her later years of her career she took a loss in her prime and completely capitulated got exposed came back with an attitude and got wrecked again, a poor loser to go with her poor performance,

she has a chance now to come out and hold her hands up but she wont, usually I would say who cares what we think of her but she clearly does lose sleep over the likes of me and you having an opinion on her she creates these me against the world scenarios.

The thing is though chuck never stopped, IIRC Dana White told chuck he was finished pretty much, He had to stop or his brain would of been mulch, but look at who he fought, franklin evans, overeem, couture, rampage, tito, wanderlei, vitor. That is a ****ing murderers row of people, Bar tate, Rhonda came up against two top notch fighters and got decimated.

There was a time when the talent pool was so shallow that she was the greatest though, like it or not. :-)

can you really call that being the greatest though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Golfers are a lot better now than they where, this is down to them having to rise to tiger woods level. His reputation wont be tarnished by his off course antics. He will be remembered for his golfing ability and domination of the sport.

Look at his latest comeback. Huge views and most expected him to perform just like rousey did. He actualy done ok hes . The field has caught up to him and while his downturn is visible it is worlds away from rondas. He can be competitive.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yeah its nothing to do with her being in her later years of her career she took a loss in her prime and completely capitulated got exposed came back with an attitude and got wrecked again, a poor loser to go with her poor performance,

she has a chance now to come out and hold her hands up but she wont, usually I would say who cares what we think of her but she clearly does lose sleep over the likes of me and you having an opinion on her she creates these me against the world scenarios.

I absolutely agree with this (the bolded), from what I have seen of her.

She maybe in her prime yes but her prime is no longer good enough. That doesn't take away from what she has achieved and no matter what happens in her near future she will be remembered as a legend of the game. Even if people hate her.

can you really call that being the greatest though?

No joking but yes I believe I can.

No one stays the greatest forever. Its a fleeting concept. Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, GSP, Jack Nichlaus, Henry Sheflin, Ayrton Senna have mostly all been eclipsed by others in their sports and if they have not yet been they will be in the future, its a certainty.

The women she beat on her way up were a product of the same time as her and had mostly the same limited opportunities she had but she managed to rise above them all through a combination of talent dedication and grit. Since then she has been overtaken but in her day, she was The Greatest.

No joking but yes I believe I can.

No one stays the greatest forever. Its a fleeting concept. Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, GSP, Jack Nichlaus, Henry Sheflin, Ayrton Senna have mostly all been eclipsed by others in their sports and if they have not yet been they will be in the future, its a certainty.

The women she beat on her way up were a product of the same time as her and had mostly the same limited opportunities she had but she managed to rise above them all through a combination of talent dedication and grit. Since then she has been overtaken but in her day, she was The Greatest.

None of these were in their prime ffs, could you imagine Ali,gsp, shefflin lose one game then go, I need a year off

• Advertisement

None of these were in their prime ffs, could you imagine Ali,gsp, shefflin lose one game then go, I need a year off

And does the fact that Ronda did it really make what she achieved any less impressive?

And does the fact that Ronda did it really make what she achieved any less impressive?

Yes, she fought a load of cans, meisha brought her a bit deep, fought some cans nobody believed she would lose too, hell most of us didnt give holm more than a punchers chance.....

Everyone you named didnt throw the toys out of the pram from the first setback, and came back to win, Rousey didnt.

Yes, she fought a load of cans, meisha brought her a bit deep, fought some cans nobody believed she would lose too, hell most of us didnt give holm more than a punchers chance.....

Everyone you named didnt throw the toys out of the pram from the first setback, and came back to win, Rousey didnt.

The people she beat on her way up were among the very best in the sport at the time she beat them, regardless of the fact that you think they were ''cans''.

The sport itself and the level of competition evolved faster than she (and others) could keep up with it. That does not make her acheivements any less noteworthy.

Will you be objecting when she is inducted into the Hall of Fame?

The people she beat on her way up were among the very best in the sport at the time she beat them, regardless of the fact that you think they were ''cans''.

The sport itself and the level of competition evolved faster than she (and others) could keep up with it. That does not make her acheivements any less noteworthy.

Will you be objecting when she is inducted into the Hall of Fame?

Miesha, aside. She beat a load of nobodies, and never faced a top striker before Holm, so her style of opponent was perfect for her. That much is very clear now. It was a load of hype, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Did you listen to her in the octagon? Or in the press conference? She was very classy and gave Ronda her dues on several occasions.

Ronda though, now there's a complete lack of class.

The Brazilians have always been supportive and welcoming to Ronda. When she fought and beat Correia in Rio she said that Rio deserved the belt as Brazil was the only country which ever cheered for her during her Judo career and gave it to the INSTITUTO REAÇÃO

She is rumored to have donated a wad of cash the the same body to finance some sort of project in the favala's (spelling?).

Classy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

giphy.gif

This athletic beast was the last person Rousey beat, enough said.

giphy.gif

A few weeks earlier she passed an MMA gym and said "go on sure, I'll give it a crack".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Saipanne wrote: »
    Miesha, aside. She beat a load of nobodies, and never faced a top striker before Holm, so her style of opponent was perfect for her. That much is very clear now. It was a load of hype, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

giphy.gif

That made me laugh, its funny.

But at least she stepped into a club and into the competition arena, I can't fault anyone for doing that.

You know, I'm on a door in Templebar tonight. Most of the regulars know I train Judo & BJJ, and I swear but not one of them would get off their soft holes to bother train let alone compete but they'll be full of advice and to what Ronda should have done in training and how best she should manage her mental health (yawnnnnnn).

But the giff is still funny as hell :D

As to Ronda's striking (lack of) and her chin, as bad as he was at least Pendred could take a punch. She was absolutely shocking this morning.

You know the saying about grapplers 'A BJJ black belt is a brown belt when they're punched in the face, a purple belt when they're punched twice.....

'Well Ronda went straight to a white belt tied around a punchbag :o

Now the haters have to find someone to hate on.

Advertisement