If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large TV & Surround Sound

Options
  • 29-12-2016 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a large TV (60+) and a surround sound system.

The TV will be hung on the wall, in a room approx. 30M square.

Would you recommend a curved TV, or flat? OLED or LED? 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

tedimc wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a large TV (60+) and a surround sound system.

Ted,

thanks for the post.

OLED really is the way forward - the new LG OLEDS are simply superb!

If you could give me some idea of budget range and what type of speakers you would like ( ie bookshelf / floorstanding / Satellite type) I'll revert asap with a Boardie bundle deal.

PM or drop us a mail if you prefer:
    sales@richersounds.ie

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Hi guys,

Ted,

thanks for the post.

If you could give me some idea of budget range and what type of speakers you would like ( ie bookshelf / floorstanding / Satellite type) I'll revert asap with a Boardie bundle deal.

sales@richersounds.ie

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks John for coming back so quickly.

Just regarding OLED - someone did mention to me that their poor refresh rate meant that they weren't suitable for gaming? Is this true? Not a major issue if so, as this TV will be mainly used for movies, sports, etc. but we want to use it for gaming the odd time. Also, I am a little stuck for height where the TV is going to be, so it has to be 100cm or less in actual height.

Budget wise; I would like to keep the TV around the 1.5 to 2K mark. For the surround sound system, I would like to stay under the 1k mark also. But I have a bit of flexibility if there was some feature I really needed.

As for the speakers, the room is being wired at the moment. So I am open to using satellite, floor standing or a mixture of both. I would prefer for them to be as discrete as possible without impacting quality if that helps.

Thanks,
    Ted.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi guys,

Ted,

thanks for the post.

sales@richersounds.ie

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks John for coming back so quickly.

Just regarding OLED - someone did mention to me that their poor refresh rate meant that they weren't suitable for gaming? Is this true? Not a major issue if so, as this TV will be mainly used for movies, sports, etc. but we want to use it for gaming the odd time. Also, I am a little stuck for height where the TV is going to be, so it has to be 100cm or less in actual height.

Budget wise; I would like to keep the TV around the 1.5 to 2K mark. For the surround sound system, I would like to stay under the 1k mark also. But I have a bit of flexibility if there was some feature I really needed.

As for the speakers, the room is being wired at the moment. So I am open to using satellite, floor standing or a mixture of both. I would prefer for them to be as discrete as possible without impacting quality if that helps.

Thanks,
    Ted.
    Hi Ted.

The 55B6 states it has 120hz which does seem low to some of the others running 1800+
    However the 120 OLED is the native measurement for Hz and a ture 120HZ. 
    The large one by other manufactures are measured in their own format and does not give a native hertz rating.

I have not heard anyone mention this and we have sold close to 100 OLED screens so far.
    The 55B6 is my next purchase as there is nothing to compare these to at the moment in my opinion.
    Currently priced at £1799 in our sale:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202067-oled55b6v.aspx

For the surround sound setup you could look at the following:
    Denon AVRX2300 with the Monitor Audio Mass 5.1 pack coming in at £879 (Cracking setup)
    http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/home-cinema-separates-bundle-deals/pah013228

Or the Denon AVRX2300 along with the Q Acoustics 3000 5.1 pack priced at £899
    http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/home-cinema-separates-bundle-deals/pah013230

Let me know what you think.

Any questions drop me a post or a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Thanks for this.

Just on the LG 55B6 - I see the 65 inch equivalent is 1K dearer, have you anything around the 60 inch mark, but close to that price of the 55B6?

Also - would you recommend a flat instead of the curved screen.

For the surround sound, what is the wiring set up? I have 2 core speaker cables to each speaker, but what do I have between the TV, receiver, etc?

I presume the source signal comes to the surround sound receiver first, then connect to the TV via HDMI?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks for this.

Just on the LG 55B6 - I see the 65 inch equivalent is 1K dearer, have you anything around the 60 inch mark, but close to that price of the 55B6?

Also - would you recommend a flat instead of the curved screen.

For the surround sound, what is the wiring set up? I have 2 core speaker cables to each speaker, but what do I have between the TV, receiver, etc?

I presume the source signal comes to the surround sound receiver first, then connect to the TV via HDMI?
    Tedimc,

thanks again for the post - if you have settled on OLED ( and as you can tell we really highly recommend them!) unfortunately there is nothing currently between the 55" & 65"

I would really recommend flat over curved unless you really were a curved fan ( and have a room with no windows opposite the curved screen/ reflections!)

The wiring for your AV system is really simple but be sure to use a decent quality twin core cable to each speaker,  star wired back to your AV Receiver - of course the exception is your subwoofer which will use a screened 75Ohm cable - like:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-10545-aud500-75m.aspx

In terms of wiring the signals - yep the best way is to wire all your sources via the AVR Receiver and then a single HDMI to the TV - some people do prefer to wire all the sources directly to the TV and then just take an optical out from the TV into the AVR for audio - but I don't recommend this unless you have an older AVR.

Thanks again and keep us posted if you have any queries,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.