Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debbie Reynolds RIP

• 29-12-2016 3:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭

Just announced. She was mother of Carrie Fisher, but also a great actress in her own right.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

That's bizarre. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

RIP

The Niall Boylan show Facebook page announced the death on their page, which every other show would have, but their sleazyness really came to light when they announced another possible death that would be the biggest celebrity death of the year and has people guessing to whom it might be!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That poor family, heartbroken

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

It gives the term 'heartbroken' a new meaning. Maybe there is something to it after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Carrie presenting her mother with a lifetime achievement award last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

This is so so sad :(. That poor family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Damn you twenty sixteen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

mackeire wrote: »
    RIP

The Niall Boylan show Facebook page announced the death on their page, which every other show would have, but their sleazyness really came to light when they announced another possible death that would be the biggest celebrity death of the year and has people guessing to whom it might be!!

Not to mention all the people commenting which celebrity they "hope" it is. Jesus. This isn't a gig announcement or a big soap spoiler ffs - you're talking about actual real people here. (That's not to say you can never make light of death, but that post & its comments are so callous!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Very strange altogether...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Not strange at all. Her daughter died and she died. It actually happened to my aunts brother. Their father died and then shortly thereafter he passed away from a broken heart. You can get so depressed about a death you can die also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

She had a stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

sugarman wrote: »
    Again, you're talking utter scutter. You cannot die from a broken heart, nor can you die from depression.

Theres almost always an underlying illness. I.e heart condition brought on by stress resulting in sudden death.

Again, you're talking utter scutter. You cannot die from a broken heart, ...........

Takotsubo cardiomyopathy (broken-heart syndrome)

Takotsubo cardiomyopathy can induce cerebral embolic stroke

Want to knock off the MIL ? have a surprise party

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

jaysis, that's rough. Poor family.

Carrie did say that she was frail though. I guess it was all too much for her. She's lucky in a way, she won't have to bury her daughter.
    It might be a relief for the family not to have to watch her go through that, as sad as it is to see her go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

RIP

We're they making this up for the likes or what?

Tried to do a quick search on twitter but couldn't find anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

...So a stress induced stroke?

And what causes the stress? Come on now, you can do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

RIP to both of them, so sad to go within such a short period of time. For the naysayers, Takotsubo's cardiomyopathy is real, the last person I heard to be affected where I work didn't pull through but the majority make a full recovery with timely intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Vesper

Best movie Debbie Reynolds starred in?

She looks familiar but I cant think of one she was in!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Always some asshole derailing the RIP threads.

RIP Debbie, a bone fide Hollywood Star.

Vesper wrote: »

Singing in the Rain?

Unsinkable Molly Brown?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ah, Jeez :( Poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I suspect Debbie was possibly not in great health in the first place, in that something like this was probably going to happen to her in the next couple of years (obviously being 84), but Carrie's death has quite simply accelerated it. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Well its quite clear Charlie sheen doesn't want 2016's celebrity curse to be over yet.

Charlie Sheen ‏@charliesheen · 3h3 hours ago

Dear God;

Trump next, please!
    Trump next, please!
    Trump next, please!
    Trump next, please!
    Trump next, please!
    Trump next, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Derailing RIP threads? ..The most pointless threads on boards?

I highly doubt family and friends of the deceased read boards.ie and see the threads, and even if they did, would they care if someone random user simply types 'RIP'

STOP it, ffs!
    Feck off with your self!!

RIP to the family, and also Sugarman. Cop on to your self, if you don't believe in Rip threads, then don't post in them. Why the hell do you???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

God that Niall Boylan guy-jesus-and his facebook page is just all people saying 'you're a right you know what niall'-but it's not even him manning it.

That's just sick. His post I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Well its quite clear Charlie sheen doesn't want 2016's celebrity curse to be over yet.

Charlie Sheen ‏@charliesheen · 3h3 hours ago

Dear God;

Trump next, please!
    Trump next, please!
    Trump next, please!
    Trump next, please!
    Trump next, please!
    Trump next, please!

Hopefully Sheen is brought to task over that comment. A truly despicable man who would belittle Trump whilst Sheen himself snorts mountains of cocaine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Vesper wrote: »

She was a huge star in the 50s/60s but not really associated with any subsequent era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Again, you're talking utter scutter. You cannot die from a broken heart, nor can you die from depression.

Theres almost always an underlying illness. I.e heart condition brought on by stress resulting in sudden death.

I was wondering why I hadn't seen a Quincy ME RIP thread.. He's still alive and kicking in this one!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

What horrible news to wake up to, considering what happened the day before. TBH I think I only saw her in Singing in the Rain (which is brilliant by the way for anyone who hasn't seen it) but she was great in that as an actress and singer. After that I just knew her as 'Carrie Fisher's mum'.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

what a great gal! RIP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Other than Singing in the Rain (which is fab!) the only modern(ish) film I remember her in is as Kevin Kline's mother in In & Out. Sad news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

<some posts deleted>

Play nice people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Anyone else remember her in the Halloweentown movies? She was brilliant in them. I grew up with those films, especially the first one from 1998!
    Such sad news, RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Always some asshole derailing the RIP threads.

RIP Debbie, a bone fide Hollywood Star.

What the **** are you on about? Thanks whoring no doubt, nobody was derailing anything when you posted that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

It's terribly sad. I only had remarked that parents shouldn't out-live their children. Next day her Mum had a stroke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

That's heartbreaking. They must have been very close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Sheen will die before Trump, all those drugs, Donald has never had a drink in his life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Sheen will die before Trump, all those drugs, Donald has never had a drink in his life.

Never trust a man that doesn't drink and I certainly don't trust Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

And what causes the stress? Come on now, you can do it!

I know! Was she pushing a piano up the stairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I reckon if you showed her face(past or present) to 100 boardsies before her death I'd say 95%+ wouldn't have a clue who she was. There'll be RIP threads for my nan next.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I reckon if you showed her face(past or present) to 100 boardsies before her death I'd say 95%+ wouldn't have a clue who she was.
    Aye, but I think it's because of her dying immediately after losing her daughter, who was well loved by younger generations. That's pretty affecting.

They weren't close for a while - check out Postcards From The Edge! But they mended their relationship greatly.

Flimpson wrote: »

They weren't close for a while - check out Postcards From The Edge!

No, I have a life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I reckon if you showed her face(past or present) to 100 boardsies before her death I'd say 95%+ wouldn't have a clue who she was. There'll be RIP threads for my nan next.

Yeah but everyone knew your nan. Knew her real well

No, I have a life!
    Well I didn't direct that at you specifically but you could say "No, I have a life!" in response to any recommendation of any film/book/album ever. Irrespective of the subject matter it's just a great film!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

She starred in one of the most loved films of all time and held her own against Gene Kelly, Jean Hagen and Donald O'Connor, who were all brilliant. She may not have had two trillion followers on Twitter, but she was a genuine celebrity.

twill wrote: »
    She starred in one of the most loved films of all time and held her own against Gene Kelly, Jean Hagen and Donald O'Connor, who were all brilliant. She may not have had two trillion followers on Twitter, but she was a genuine celebrity.

People tend to project their own ignorance onto everyone else.

twill wrote: »

Yes and my gran did some amazing things too but the point remains that nearly nobody would recognise her and the sentiments in this thread are largely disingenuous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement