Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epidural help

Options
  • 28-12-2016 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know if you can ensure you will get an epidural? Even if you are going public can I book or pay for an epidural so I will actually get it. Been an older mum of 39 I'm dreading labour and last time started to really panic in labour and poor midwife had to calm me so hopefully I can get an epidural.. So I can relax

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

zoviea wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if you can ensure you will get an epidural? Even if you are going public can I book or pay for an epidural so I will actually get it. Been an older mum of 39 I'm dreading labour and last time started to really panic in labour and poor midwife had to calm me so hopefully I can get an epidural.. So I can relax

I just had a baby in Holles street, public, and had epidural. The worst bit was at first they are like "you're not in labour" just because you're not dilated enough- it still hurt! Unfortunately I was begging for epidural by the time they gave it to me but only because they waited until I was 5cm and still they deemed my cerbix wasn't thin enough so I was in hospital for 10 hours before and getting pains for most of that - once the doctor was happy to give it to the anethestist was there within 15 mins. There wasn't a problem getting it done - the problem was being deemed far enough in active labour so I'd ask about this. I think my pains went from 0-10 very quickly though as my waters went - lots of people make it to 4cm with period type pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No you can't pay or book in advance. What you can do is put it in your birth preferences that you want the epidural as soon as you are in active labour. You will need to remind them but you should get it fairly easily once you are deemed in active labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

5cm, jaysus, i think I was 2cm when I got it. If even...

Anyway, you can put it on your birth preferences, and ask repeatedly. Also make sure your husband is able to stand up for you and well aware in advance. Some pushy older midwives do a bit of nodding and then just ignore you, like they know what you want better than you do. So be just as pushy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I got an epidural and I wasn't dilated, however my waters broke and I had been induced and was on oxytocin, and had been having strong and frequent contractions for about 12 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭zoviea

Ya but it's hard to tell if you are at the right time to get it.. Midwifes say it's too early then suddenly its too late to get it ahhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭lemmno

If you are a private patient are you guaranteed to get the epidural the moment you ask for it? Or is that a load of rubbish?!

lemmno wrote: »
    If you are a private patient are you guaranteed to get the epidural the moment you ask for it? Or is that a load of rubbish?!

I'm thinking of going private next time (if I can stomach a next time) if I think they'll help me manage the pain better. Interestingly, I know one person who's private now and i just found out her last pregnancy was an elective C section as she's too scared. Not quite the same thing, but I didn't know that was even possible and I'm curious if being private makes a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

I went private as two girls I know recommended my consultant for doing the elective section if you request it - have changed my mind since and will try vaginal, or whatever is recommended, but yep it does happen.
    Public or private, I would go bananas if there was any messing around with pain relief. I had my appendix out with anaesthetic and I would very much like the same with my nether regions, ta v much!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Gentle birth is well worth looking into to get you through the first stage until you can get an epi, may even help you all the way. It's listening to tracks almost like hypnosis, couldn't recommend it highly enough.

pc7 wrote: »
    Gentle birth is well worth looking into to get you through the first stage until you can get an epi, may even help you all the way. It's listening to tracks almost like hypnosis, couldn't recommend it highly enough.
    I tried that but maybe I didn't practice enough as it went out the window once I was in pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

lemmno wrote: »

No. It depends how busy they are. I got epidural quicker the second time when I was public. But it was no problem or extra charges both times public or private.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Equal pain relief is available if you're public or private. The medical prerequisites too are the same. You have to be in active labour but you cannot be gone too far to get an epidural. Most of the time the midwives will ask what pain relief you were thinking of or if you'd like any. I was asked and declined as I thought I was doing fine without, then later asked for gas and air. I'd have been too far along for epi anyway as it turns out.
    Started with TENS machine and breathing from early on and it got me quite far along. I also did the Gentlebirth program, and if nothing else it helped me be well informed and positive.

Advertisement