Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best news apps

• 29-12-2016 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Whats the best free one? I had one and was then asked for credit card details to continue with them so I uninstalled it. Any actually worth paying money for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

I have Rte news now and its rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

There are literally millions of apps. What interests you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Irish Times is worth the subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

BBC app is good as it can even be read when there is not connection to the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The news I read is all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Irish Times is worth the subscription.

Is the app any good? I have a subscription but the last time I tried the app it was useless. That was years ago though.

I use the guardian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Grayson wrote: »
    Is the app any good? I have a subscription but the last time I tried the app it was useless. That was years ago though.

I use the guardian.

I use the epaper app, can't fault it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I use:
    Rte
    RT
    Sky
    CNN
    Fox
    News Republic
    Ajazeerah
    Independent
    Times
    Guardian

I don't use:

Thejournal.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I use:
    Rte
    RT
    Sky
    CNN
    Fox
    News Republic
    Ajazeerah
    Independent
    Times
    Guardian

I don't use:

Thejournal.ie

:eek: Do you not get tired of reading...news???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

gramar wrote: »
    :eek: Do you not get tired of reading...news???

Nope. Love the various viewpoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Nope. Love the various viewpoints.

I'm pretty addicted myself. I find twitter is a good way of finding random stuff. Follow journalists and see what they retweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

What are people’s favorite app specifically to get news about Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm pretty addicted myself. I find twitter is a good way of finding random stuff. Follow journalists and see what they retweet.

I do that. My twitter account is news outlets and journalists I am interested in.
    What they post seems to catch all major news stories. Also you catch interesting opinion pieces on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Google Newsstand assuming your on android.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Google Newsstand assuming your on android.

Not on Android but they have an Google News app on iOS. Might give it another try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

There was a bargain alert thread recently where graduates of TCD could get a free one year subscription to the Irish Times. Perhaps other colleges as well. I've been very impressed so far. The app is only middling, but I use it multiple times per day. I'm sold so far, and can see myself subscribing when the year is up. €90 a year for quality, and relatively impartial, journalism is well worth it in my eyes.

The Guardian has an increasingly large banner asking you to subscribe. Again, I visit the site daily, but don't feel I'd get enough out of it to subscribe. Its soccer and racing coverage is fantastic though, so I'd like some sort of system where you could pay a few cents to read an article. The Telegraph is another website I'd visit and respect, but again, wouldn't see myself getting enough usage out of a subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The times app keeps crashing regularly of late, but only gives 20 free articles a week. Despite all the articles being available online through Google.

Otherwise

Rte
    Independent
    Journal
    Irish examiner
    And the BBC

Give a good all round view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

thestar wrote: »
    I have Rte news now and its rubbish

RTE news are still waiting on the outcome of world war 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What makes a good news app anyways seeing as how they seem to talk about the same things?

Apart from the obvious Irish news sites talking about Irish events etc.

• Advertisement

There was a bargain alert thread recently where graduates of TCD could get a free one year subscription to the Irish Times. Perhaps other colleges as well. I've been very impressed so far. The app is only middling, but I use it multiple times per day. I'm sold so far, and can see myself subscribing when the year is up. €90 a year for quality, and relatively impartial, journalism is well worth it in my eyes.

The Guardian has an increasingly large banner asking you to subscribe. Again, I visit the site daily, but don't feel I'd get enough out of it to subscribe. Its soccer and racing coverage is fantastic though, so I'd like some sort of system where you could pay a few cents to read an article. The Telegraph is another website I'd visit and respect, but again, wouldn't see myself getting enough usage out of a subscription.

The IT is quality but very politically biased in my opinion (it used to be different a few years back and present various points of view, but they have lost the balance in my opinion). But you are partly balancing by reading The Telegraph which would have a different bias, though specifically talking about Ireland only reading the IT would only give a certain view on what is happening in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Bob24 wrote: »
    The IT is quality but very politically biased in my opinion (it used to be different a few years back and present various points of view, but they have lost the balance in my opinion). But you are partly balancing by reading The Telegraph which would have a different bias, though specifically talking about Ireland only reading the IT would only give a certain view on what is happening in the country.

I disagree with a lot of the Irish Times viewpoints which is probably why I enjoy it so much. It challenges my preconceptions.

I rarely, if ever agree with Fintan O'Toole or Breda O'Brien. But theirs is the first article I will click on.

The IT podcast is particularly good.

I'm happy to pay the sub. I only hope that the newspaper can continue to survive with this pay model.

I rarely, if ever agree with Fintan O'Toole or Breda O'Brien. But theirs is the first article I will click on.

They are one good exemple indeed of presenting very different opinions. David McWilliams also is a nice addition this year.

But while I've stopped reading it regularity some time ago from what I remember lets say they have more Fintan O'Tooles than Breda O'Briens. And besides opinion pieces (which I always find the most interesting as they are unapologetically ideological and not falsly neutral as regular news coverage in any media is), general news coverage has a strong libertarian/liberal bias.

Advertisement