Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance by dd or one full payment?

Options
  • 29-12-2016 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Is it better to pay insurance in one sum? The thing I would have against paying in full is if my car crocked it in 3 months time..what happens then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

thestar wrote: »
    Is it better to pay insurance in one sum? The thing I would have against paying in full is if my car crocked it in 3 months time..what happens then?

Id pay it in full if I could afford to. For now its dd.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's normally more expensive by DD, could be 10-15% more, pay in full if you can afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

It's usually cheaper to pay in one lump rather than in installments.

You can transfer your insurance to a new car if you ever get a new/replacement car. There may be an admin charge for that or you may have to pay a top up if the replacement car is worth more than the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Paying in installments is basically a high interest loan. Always better to pay in full. If you cancel you get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

In full, if possible. And if your car does get crocked and you need to park it up for a while, most companies let you freeze the policy for a while. And if you decided not to get a new car, you can cancel the policy and get the unused months refunded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,253 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I just pay mine up front, just want that annual bill out of the way. Cheaper in the long run too as your not paying interest on monthly payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

If you pay in full in January and write off the car in February you could in theory get refunded for the 11 unused months (assuming you didn't get a replacement car)

(delete duplicate post)

(delete duplicate post)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

corglass wrote: »
    If you pay in full in January and write off the car in February you could in theory get refunded for the 11 unused months (assuming you didn't get a replacement car)

Just be mindful there are aspects of the insurance fee that are non-refundable, so you won't get your fee divided by 12 times the number of unused months back. Still cheaper than DD however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ironclaw wrote: »
    Just be mindful there are aspects of the insurance fee that are non-refundable, so you won't get your fee divided by 12 times the number of unused months back. Still cheaper than DD however.

Read the fine print...

Even when you are doing DD, you are signing a year-long contract and will have to pay the same cancelation penalty.

Always better to pay in full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

BOI car insurance had 0% interest rate when I signed up last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

^^Yep, I always pay everything up front, but BOI charge nothing to spread it out, so makes sense to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

After getting caught out by setanta folding and losing 8 months of a fully paid premium I'd rather go monthly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

After getting caught out by setanta folding and losing 8 months of a fully paid premium I'd rather go monthly.

Or you could just ensure you buy insurance from a company regulated in Ireland rather than insurance underwritten in a tax haven with zero regulation. AIG or Liberty aren't going anywhere. Insurance underwritten from a glorified post box in a tax haven might not be here next year. Just make sure to buy insurance from the decent company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

I had 2 policy's with setanta one 9 and the other 5 months remaining and got refunded through chargeback on Boi card.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

If it's year 1 with new insurer and ur not sure if you'll keep policy , the DD.

If paid in full in year 1 then rule below applies -
    There is a clause called Short Term Rates that results in , only 90% returned if policy cancelled in first month of policy on cover. The percentage you get back is reduced as low as 10% if policy runs about 9months

*If claim since inception then NO REFUND ************************************

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

I paid in full for the first time ever on my motorcycle policy last January . was in an accident in march,(not my fault) bike written off but was told I won't get a refund of any percentage because I was in an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

honda boi wrote: »
    I paid in full for the first time ever on my motorcycle policy last January . was in an accident in march,(not my fault) bike written off but was told I won't get a refund of any percentage because I was in an accident.

If it was not your fault then your insurer would not be paying the claim so they have no right to retain the premium paid.

Advertisement