Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens Bikes Car Racks

Options
  • 29-12-2016 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some advice on car racks for childrens bikes. At the moment our three kids bikes (2x16" and one balance bike) are put in the boot of the people carrier(peugeot 5008) when they are brought anywhere but that is obviously very restrictive when we have other baggage, not to mention that it isn't great for the bikes themselves. Any suggestions?

We don't have a tow bar at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Pick up a standard bike carrier that will fit your car and some bungee chords or straps.

I do the above as I'm not aware of a child specific bike carrier.

I have this one https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-clipon-9104-_-910401

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

We've used a Hollywood rack over recent years, which is ok if you don't have a tow bar but not ideal. Important to take the pedals off bikes that are closest to boot or you will end up with dents if you're on rough back roads, I take all the pedals off these days, and put some pipe insulator on the better bikes (i.e. mine ;) ) at any point where there might be contact. One you put the carrier on and tighten the straps, tighten them again once the bikes are on.

The one I linked there has that little bar across the main bars which stops the pedals hitting the boot lid. Good shout on the pipe insulation though. If I were travelling a long distance I'd probably inverse in a roof box for bags and put the bikes in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    I am looking for some advice on car racks for childrens bikes. At the moment our three kids bikes (2x16" and one balance bike) are put in the boot of the people carrier(peugeot 5008) when they are brought anywhere but that is obviously very restrictive when we have other baggage, not to mention that it isn't great for the bikes themselves. Any suggestions?
    Still something of a struggle, even now they're up to 26 inch (still small framed) wheels! Over the years, some of them have fitted on a standard rack upside down, so you could try that? There's also bars you can get that fit between seat post and front of the frame/ headset, normally sold for step through bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Thanks for the replies. Would it be worth investing in a hitch for the car and using a hitch mounted carrier, especially bearing in mind the trip to France next year?

• Advertisement

I'd definitely invest in a hitch mounted one if you're heading to France. They're very strict on vehicles over there so you'll probably need a light board and reg plate if using a door mounted carrier the hitch carrier has these integrated afaik (obviously not the reg plate.) Also pick up a roof it will make for less cramped conditions inside and a nice bit of storage for some wine.

Alternatively look into renting bikes over there and remove all the hassle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Invest in a hitch. Those ones listed above look like a lot of hassle with adjustments and the risk of it denting your vehicle.

At the moment I have a 2 bike one that simply clips onto the ball hitch with a scissors action. On and off in 2 seconds. Then slip it into your booth.

You don't want to be fooling around with straps when it is pouring rain.

As the others have said above you don't want the bikes to block the number plate or rear lights. I have never been pulled for it but I am sure if at a checkpoint you came across the wrong guard you could get penalty points.

Down the road I think I will buy one of the bigger ones that has a number plate and lights. The bikes sit on these and it is probably easier to secure kids' bikes.

Invest in a hitch. Those ones listed above look like a lot of hassle with adjustments and the risk of it denting your vehicle.

FYI The one I linked above is neither and probably as easy/easier to mount bike than a hitch carrier :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd definitely invest in a hitch mounted one if you're heading to France. They're very strict on vehicles over there so you'll probably need a light board and reg plate if using a door mounted carrier the hitch carrier has these integrated afaik (obviously not the reg plate.) Also pick up a roof it will make for less cramped conditions inside and a nice bit of storage for some wine.

Alternatively look into renting bikes over there and remove all the hassle. :)
    The bolded is absolutely not a given, and varies from rack to rack (even for hitch-mounting), but worth making sure you buy one that includes it in the described situation.

At the moment I have a 2 bike one that simply clips onto the ball hitch with a scissors action. On and off in 2 seconds. Then slip it into your booth.

You don't want to be fooling around with straps when it is pouring rain.

As the others have said above you don't want the bikes to block the number plate or rear lights. I have never been pulled for it but I am sure if at a checkpoint you came across the wrong guard you could get penalty points.

Down the road I think I will buy one of the bigger ones that has a number plate and lights. The bikes sit on these and it is probably easier to secure kids' bikes.
    There is absolutely no penalty point offence relating to obstruction of a number plate, though that may be even worse as the Garda might drag you to court if in a bad enough mood! More likely to be a simple fine or a telling off I'd imagine though.

cython wrote: »
    The bolded is absolutely not a given, and varies from rack to rack (even for hitch-mounting), but worth making sure you buy one that includes it in the described situation.

There is absolutely no penalty point offence relating to obstruction of a number plate, though that may be even worse as the Garda might drag you to court if in a bad enough mood! More likely to be a simple fine or a telling off I'd imagine though.

Don't know exact details but would driving without consideration cover that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Don't know exact details but would driving without consideration cover that.

If it did/would extend to cover it, then to be quite frank there would be no need for half of the explicit 2 point offences that exist. Now while you might get a Garda who would try to push it (in the same way as people were concerned about a similarly worded offence being included in cyclist FPNs), I'm reasonably sure the requirement to display number plates has its own section in law, and as such is probably its own offence.

If it did/would extend to cover it, then to be quite frank there would be no need for half of the explicit 2 point offences that exist. Now while you might get a Garda who would try to push it (in the same way as people were concerned about a similarly worded offence being included in cyclist FPNs), I'm reasonably sure the requirement to display number plates has its own section in law, and as such is probably its own offence.

That is why I thought it would be a penalty point offence. The bikes can cover the number plate and speeding cameras etc would not detect it.

Advertisement