Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dickie10 wrote: »
    might take ewe lambs a cycle to get serviced

Put him in with apron for ram effect perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Does anybody here have information on gestation length off different breeds off rams? Like in cattle a limousine bull usually takes longer till calf... noticed last year I'd a good few texel lambs before any charrlois. Rams went out same day ewes were just split into different paddocks that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

Hi, looking for advice, I bought hoggets yesterday, I'll be Lambing Easter holidays and I let the Rams in field beside them for two weeks then in on 12th November, swap them after 2 weeks worked well last year had 80% lambed in two weeks

My question is, I know at least 4 of the hoggets weren't done for covexin8 and is it risky doin them now 2 weeks before breeding and booster 4 weeks pregnant.. Datasheet says there's no research on adverse affects or otherwise at this time of pregnancy so what's best option?

Thanks in advance this is a great thread I follow it religiously!

Lambman wrote: »
    Does anybody here have information on gestation length off different breeds off rams? Like in cattle a limousine bull usually takes longer till calf... noticed last year I'd a good few texel lambs before any charrlois. Rams went out same day ewes were just split into different paddocks that day.

Charollais are one or two days longer tjsn suffolk and texel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

Hi, looking for advice, I bought hoggets yesterday, I'll be Lambing Easter holidays and I let the Rams in field beside them for two weeks then in on 12th November, swap them after 2 weeks worked well last year had 80% lambed in two weeks

My question is, I know at least 4 of the hoggets weren't done for covexin8 and is it risky doin them now 2 weeks before breeding and booster 4 weeks pregnant.. Datasheet says there's no research on adverse affects or otherwise at this time of pregnancy so what's best option?

Thanks in advance this is a great thread I follow it religiously!

Id leave them off until you vaccinate the whole flock pre lambing

• Advertisement

I was looking for some grazing to tide my 100 ewes over for a month or two and was looking for 20 odd acres of after grass/reseeding.

I got offered 70 acres of reseeded ground on good land but i am worried that i wouldn't get it all ate off in three months, would 100 ewes be fit to eat clear 70 acres in 3 months....have enough to keep me going until early December so would put them to the 70 acres then and would be taking them off it early march to lamb paddys day.

is it too much to go messing with.....not fenced for sheep but good hedges.....also its an hours drive away

roosky wrote: »
    I was looking for some grazing to tide my 100 ewes over for a month or two and was looking for 20 odd acres of after grass/reseeding.

I got offered 70 acres of reseeded ground on good land but i am worried that i wouldn't get it all ate off in three months, would 100 ewes be fit to eat clear 70 acres in 3 months....have enough to keep me going until early December so would put them to the 70 acres then and would be taking them off it early march to lamb paddys day.

is it too much to go messing with.....not fenced for sheep but good hedges.....also its an hours drive away

Half of it wpuld do ya unless ya bought in some lambs and kept them on it. If its not going to be eat till march wil the owner not have something to eat it then

Half of it wpuld do ya unless ya bought in some lambs and kept them on it. If its not going to be eat till march wil the owner not have something to eat it then

Ya was thinking it was too much for me and i dont have time with work to go buying lambs and starting that side of things....

He would want it ate off before that alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭DJ98

Ya was thinking it was too much for me and i dont have time with work to go buying lambs and starting that side of things....

He would want it ate off before that alright

Could you not move the ewes to it now and keep your grass at home for after lambing, that way you'd have another month?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Could you not move the ewes to it now and keep your grass at home for after lambing, that way you'd have another month?

ewes out with ram at the minute and dont like disturbing them tbh...prob wouldnt be that much difference but also want to clean off the home place and have fresh grass after lambing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

I could fix up with a lough a hoggets.............how many do u want:

seriously though I would not be worried about not eating it out in time the distance away and no fence would a real pain in the ass to get a call at work 'your sheep r out' ....an hour there a couple of hours patching and a hour home a short day f'd up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭razor8

If it was coming at reasonable money I wouldn’t turn it down. The likelihood of them moving off that acreage would be remote. Would he be willing to take a look at them a few days a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Young95

Hi folks. Just wondering I’m thinking of purchasing sheep in Northern Ireland soon and bringing them back south. Was wondering is there a set of guidelines or things to do first like notify the department etc . Any feed back would be great thanks.

Young95 wrote: »
    Hi folks. Just wondering I’m thinking of purchasing sheep in Northern Ireland soon and bringing them back south. Was wondering is there a set of guidelines or things to do first like notify the department etc . Any feed back would be great thanks.

Are they pedigrees. It’s not a simple procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Let out ram on 23rd Oct with light yellow raddle on chest...am I right that I should change raddle colour again on 8th November to allow for 16 days?
    Thanks,what colour do people who start with yellow use next?

Let out ram on 23rd Oct with light yellow raddle on chest...am I right that I should change raddle colour again on 8th November to allow for 16 days?
    Thanks,what colour do people who start with yellow use next?
    Green or orange then blue or red, change after 16 day's herw

Yes pedigree. Has anyone brought sheep from the north down south before? Maybe it’s straight forward but just said I’d ask around first .

They need to be MV accredited and blood tested. I’ve done it and usually paperwork is sorted from there sellers side

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/knipex-diagonal-cutting-pliers-160mm.html

https://www.cormactagging.ie/sheep

:)

It’s fairly straight forward on the buyers side of things so razor? Thanks for the reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

Lambman wrote: »
    Dosed all ewes and ewes lambs and rams this morning and done rams feet... walked the farm and think this year I'm in a very good position lands still dry and grass is still growing have 90% off the lambs away ewes are in good condition even though there not on good grass... got me thinking I either need till buy stores or start flushing ewes now and lamb earlier next year... stores are hard till buy at the minute and I'm not a fan off lambing too early... any other options? Buying more ewes might be an option but wasn't at any breeding sales yet and don't want till bring outside ewes till main flock this close till mating.

What did you end up doing with all the excess grass. I'd get to ewes onto good grass and have them in peak condition. Another option for future years is to have later lambing, so the late lambs eat the grass.

It’s fairly straight forward on the buyers side of things so razor? Thanks for the reply

Was for me but then my seller exports a good few so knew the system. Other might not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Oneman37 ended up buying stores twice since and will be lambing 2 weeks earlier next year aswell.... would buy more stores now if they could be bought but there mad money at the minute so ewes are changing paddocks regularly think I'll get till mid January on grass alone this year. Hopefully will have enough ewes next year as till not need till buy in store lambs twice late on the year.

Anyone feeding hay or silage to ewes yet, have little or no grass for 2 groups of ewes here and was thinking about giving them a bale of hay

Anyone feeding hay or silage to ewes yet, have little or no grass for 2 groups of ewes here and was thinking about giving them a bale of hay

How long are they with the ram ? Wouldn’t feed hay till mid pregnancy as early pregnancy they need high nutrition for embryos attachment etc.

How long are they with the ram ? Wouldn’t feed hay till mid pregnancy as early pregnancy they need high nutrition for embryos attachment etc.

Still with the ram, was also considering feeding them without rolled oats

Grain doesnt need to be rolled for sheep

Feed dem hay and barley wouldn’t be to expensive but what I’d do I’d feed them hay and also crystal x high energy blocks . Abit dearer but cut down on labor than feeding grain. We ran out of grass one year and the ram was only out 6 weeks and we fed silage and crystal x blocks and the ewes held there own.

Opinions please

Putting in final prep to sheep shed plans its a four bay double..

I plan on having one side dry shed so can use for other purposes throughout year and one side slats....with a 60% grant would ye slat the whole lot when your at it or as some say the slats can be cold and the shed is no good for anything else then

• Advertisement

Opinions please

Putting in final prep to sheep shed plans its a four bay double..

I plan on having one side dry shed so can use for other purposes throughout year and one side slats....with a 60% grant would ye slat the whole lot when your at it or as some say the slats can be cold and the shed is no good for anything else then

Plastic slats?
    Concrete slats are cold anyways,i imagine mesh are too but that timber and plastic are more forgiving and wouldnt get as cold. I don't know what way youre doing it but a spot for ewes and lambs after lambing and single pens also. A spot for bales of straw too. Very handy to have everything you want in a shed without going outside.
    No point having 24ft walkways and shoving silage down to them . 2 12 fts would be a lot handier amd a passageway beteen them. Means more feef space for ewes when mealing also. Make it plrnty big enough too. Have room for those few extra ewes. A lot handier to have that extra bay now when planning is paid for and shed drawn up and 60% grant. That might be a problem if your nearing the 80k limit but i dont think you will be

Advertisement