Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

roosky wrote: »
    I have moved all my sheep to winter grazing on a stud farm that has no sheep do i need to notify the department

No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I have moved all my sheep to winter grazing on a stud farm that has no sheep do i need to notify the department

Yes
    Nitrates part 4 when moving off holding returned to Johnstown castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sorry about that. I better print the form aswell now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

That’s only if you want to cliam the credits. 99% won’t

If no other livestock on land no need to notify. That would include horses

If they are livestock but the sheep are on a different parcel you don’t need to notify either

Only if they are side by side do you need to notify

razor8 wrote: »
    That’s only if you want to cliam the credits. 99% won’t

If no other livestock on land no need to notify. That would include horses

If they are livestock but the sheep are on a different parcel you don’t need to notify either

Only if they are side by side do you need to notify

If stock are moving off holding need to notify, what if you get an inspection and stock off holding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Notify them anyways . I got caught last year and never did tell them and got into bother over nitrates

If stock are moving off holding need to notify, what if you get an inspection and stock off holding.

They don’t. It was in the journal a few weeks ago. If you get an inspection you just tell them where they are. Your doing nothing wrong

You only send to nitrates department if you are near limit and I would imagine most sheep farmers are well under it

Screenshots are taken from department website

razor8 wrote: »
    They don’t. It was in the journal a few weeks ago. If you get an inspection you just tell them where they are. Your doing nothing wrong

You only send to nitrates department if you are near limit and I would imagine most sheep farmers are well under it

Screenshots are taken from department website

First attachment is for out farm of the same holding as part of the owners farm,
    The second is saying send in a part 4 as stated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Saw an article the other day about dosing for fluke in cattle, even though we had a very dry summer...

Made me think should I dose my dry hog for fluke... we wouldn’t have wet ground, and I wasn’t planning to dose, but am second guessing myself now...

I think a FEC isn’t very definitive for fluke eggs, so that’s out...

So - what are other people doing?
    And what dose are they using - closantel or triclabemdazole based?

Thanks...

First attachment is for out farm of the same holding as part of the owners farm,
    The second is saying send in a part 4 as stated above.

Here the article in journal again this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

triclambendazole is the only one for all stages so i use that although we done tests in the discussion group a while back and a lot of the flocks had resistance to it

Was talked about at meeting last night. 13 flocks were tested and 12 were resistant

I don’t understand why anyone would bother with it when they are very good alternatives tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

triclambendazole is the only one for all stages so i use that although we done tests in the discussion group a while back and a lot of the flocks had resistance to it

Speaking to my own vet on this matter in the last few weeks and he said something similar. Indeed he reckons the days of farmers medicating their own stock is on the clock as multiple resistance issues arise on a worrying number of fronts:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Whens the best time to scan ewes? Is it 80/90 days after ram goes out?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Whens the best time to scan ewes? Is it 80/90 days after ram goes out?

Would depend how long the ram is in from the ewes and how long the ram was with the ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

Just wondering does anyone know when the sheep welfare payment will be out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Just wondering does anyone know when the sheep welfare payment will be out

payments starting end of this month

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I saw that the Dept issued their fluke report last week and are advising the burden shouldn’t be too bad given the dry year we’ve had but farmers should remain vigilant, etc.

The ewes here are in a wet field at the moment so I’m “remaining vigilant”. Is there any outwardly signs of fluke problems apart from wet/mucky backsides?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭148multi

I saw that the Dept issued their fluke report last week and are advising the burden shouldn’t be too bad given the dry year we’ve had but farmers should remain vigilant, etc.

The ewes here are in a wet field at the moment so I’m “remaining vigilant”. Is there any outwardly signs of fluke problems apart from wet/mucky backsides?

Bottle jaw, when bad, pale membrane around the eye, thin and one of the first signs would be when gathering with dog, flukey ewe will lie down from lack of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Any issues dosing topped ewes ? Rams in for last few weeks here, but will have to fluke dose them at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If lambing mid January when is the latest they can be fluke dosed?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

do them in 2 weeks time they’d be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭148multi

Stay away from levafas diamond or you may be nursing a few

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if you are in a very dry farm could you get away without a fluke dose this winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Dickie10 wrote: »
    if you are in a very dry farm could you get away without a fluke dose this winter?
    I'm sure you could think rangler says he never doses for fluke. I dose twice a year for it a month before ram goes out and again when there in for scanning. Lost a ram till fluke 3 years ago so started dosing that way since and no problems... it was levafas diamond I used aswell find it a great dose you'll see them getting very dirty behind after there dosed with it but then it cleans up after a week and stays clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

we rarley have trouble with fluke, a few years back we were getting a few killed and asked for the 5th quarter and the butcher said we probably won't be getting the livers cause every one he'd done that year had being condemned, he was stunned when ours came back clean.

...mmm liver rashers and beans yum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

ganmo wrote: »
    we rarley have trouble with fluke, a few years back we were getting a few killed and asked for the 5th quarter and the butcher said we probably won't be getting the livers cause every one he'd done that year had being condemned, he was stunned when ours came back clean.

...mmm liver rashers and beans yum

Massive issue here, can just cause damage so quickly especially in lambs. Though dry farm think all the rivers and streams are probably the cause, if we didn’t keep on top of drainage repairs be even worse

Lambman wrote: »
    I'm sure you could think rangler says he never doses for fluke. I dose twice a year for it a month before ram goes out and again when there in for scanning. Lost a ram till fluke 3 years ago so started dosing that way since and no problems... it was levafas diamond I used aswell find it a great dose you'll see them getting very dirty behind after there dosed with it but then it cleans up after a week and stays clean.

Levafas only covers mature fluke and rumen fluke. You need something that covers immature up to 6 weeks. Immature can be a real killer.

Imo you’ve been lucky to be getting away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Yes I know it only does mature fluke that's why I give it till them before they go till the ram went with flukiver at scanning time... as I says I had no problems in 3 years so if it's not broke don't fix it. Ewes would be on dry ground except foray be 2 months in the summer there shifted till marginal ground when the lambs are pulled off them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anyone here at the in-lamb Texel sale in New Ross today?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement