Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

True & the buyers will want her for less than what’s she’s worth too

Isn't that the way no matter what you're selling. I've never yet heard any buyer in the mart say to the auctioneer that they want to give more than where the bidding has finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone any experience with buffalo steel, how would there hurdles compare to others on the market both price and quality wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience with buffalo steel, how would there hurdles compare to others on the market both price and quality wise.

Have used the hurdles the last two lambings and find them very good and quick to put up in a hurry, only use them for lambing and nothing else and store after, find the two lads great to deal with on price and delivery. We bought the the gate hanging troughs last year for to feed batches of ewes and lambs and find them great for up off the ground with out getting dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Can VAT be reclaimed on sheep hurdles?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Most fencing stuff can be classified as land improvement or reclaimation but not sure about hurdles.

Would be interested me-self too

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Most fencing stuff can be classified as land improvement or reclaimation but not sure about hurdles.

Would be interested me-self too

I think has to be a permanent fixture , something bolted down, to be able to reclaim vat. But you can ring the local vat office and they’d tell you exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, what's the story with the sheep scheme for 2019, will it be based off the 2018 end of year census?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, what's the story with the sheep scheme for 2019, will it be based off the 2018 end of year census?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    yes

Are they changing the base year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Are they changing the base year ?

No

Paid on number in census 2018 to a maximum of base year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

yes

You sure?

Thought you had to keep your numbers equal or above reference year to get full payment

Base was on 2014 2015 year I thought

razor8 wrote: »
    You sure?

Thought you had to keep your numbers equal or above reference year to get full payment

Base was on 2014 2015 year I thought

I thought people at this stage would know their quota, din't think I'd have to say it after 3years You get €10 ewe on your census up to your quota
    My referennce year was 400, I'm now getting paid on 60

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

I thought people at this stage would know their quota, din't think I'd have to say it after 3years You get €10 ewe on your census up to your quota
    My referennce year was 400, I'm now getting paid on 60

Thought I had missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

yes if you put it down as a fixed housing feed barrier or something

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheDoc77

Anyone here make up a wooden hay rack for a 4x4 round bale of hay, the type that keeps the bale up off the ground ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭davidk1394

TheDoc77 wrote: »
    Anyone here make up a wooden hay rack for a 4x4 round bale of hay, the type that keeps the bale up off the ground ?

Will a steel one do ?

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Will a steel one do ?

be stronger anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

12% mortality scanning-weaning.
    1.74 lambs sold-ewe mated.
    Average price for lamb was 112/head. Grades of lambs sold.
    O2 1
    R1 2
    R2 89
    R3 35
    U2 19
    U3 11
    Thought the grades were fairly miserable tbh. Never had a r1 or o grade before. Always had more r4 and u4 also. Proportion of u-r seems lower this year also.
    Good year for sheep though!

O2 1
    R1 2
    R2 89
    R3 35
    U2 19
    U3 11
    Thought the grades were fairly miserable tbh. Never had a r1 or o grade before. Always had more r4 and u4 also. Proportion of u-r seems lower this year also.

Have you all your lambs gone now?
    Do you sell any in the mart or all in the factory?

• Advertisement

Have you all your lambs gone now?
    Do you sell any in the mart or all in the factory?

48 in mart aswell. Last went a week ago

O2 1
    R1 2
    R2 89
    R3 35
    U2 19
    U3 11

Because we had to feed so much meal (70kg/lamb ) this year due to the drought we had 80% Us and the lambs gone way earlier so we're even thinking of doing the same every year

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

112avg per head seems great to me. At a guess I'd say for factory we'd avg 98ish.

Because we had to feed so much meal (70kg/lamb ) this year due to the drought we had 80% Us and the lambs gone way earlier so we're even thinking of doing the same every year

We feed a a share of meal too. . grades seemed to be 'off' this year anyway. They arnt as important to us because its a more flat based grid rather than yours

We feed a a share of meal too. . grades seemed to be 'off' this year anyway. They arnt as important to us because its a more flat based grid rather than yours

Is it Navan. good prices anyway

Is it Navan. good prices anyway

Ballyhaunis

Has anyone here got lambing cameras set up, how do you find them are they clear enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Has anyone here got lambing cameras set up, how do you find them are they clear enough?
    Yea have them here a local lad set them up uses the 3 wifi dongle which holds a simple card which u top up by €20 and that gives you free wifi for a month till run the cameras.... will look at make off cameras when I get a chance he ordered them off eBay... there is night vision and zoom and can be moved around and zoomed in from your phone best bit off kit I ever bought wasn't dear either less than €400 for the 3 cameras setup and all and the first months credit on sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Lambman wrote: »
    Yea have them here a local lad set them up uses the 3 wifi dongle which holds a simple card which u top up by €20 and that gives you free wifi for a month till run the cameras.... will look at make off cameras when I get a chance he ordered them off eBay... there is night vision and zoom and can be moved around and zoomed in from your phone best bit off kit I ever bought wasn't dear either less than €400 for the 3 cameras setup and all and the first months credit on sim.

I would be interested in this also. €400 is a great price for 3 cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

@ 30 cent a kg that’s 21€.

Advertisement