Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Hi young95, sorry to hear about your ram. I'd definitly say it too the seller but I wouldn't be expecting anything from him/her. If the ram was in good form and no signs of worms the only way of knowing would have been through lab tests. Was he sold with garantee of no worms?
    Just bad luck and put it down to a lesson learned. Any more purchases dose no matter what. As the grandfather would say 'devil and all bad luck go with it'

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Young95 wrote: »
    Got results back from lab the ram had worms with 4450 grams per unit which is high. Thing is what do I do now vet said he had worms when I bought him because his count was so high got him in October. Ino should have gave him a worm dose on arrival but he was in good order then and usual stuff about only dosing thin ewes etc . Could ring the Man I got him off and ask did he worm him atal as if he did his flock could have resistance to the wormer he’s using.

Had he lost any weight or was he dirty? It’s a high count alright but there could be another issue aswell. It’s impossible to tell when he picked up the worms. It takes about 3weeks from ingestion to production of eggs in the faeces. Even though it’s a high count it’s possible he had a low or no worm burden when you bought him, you said he was in good shape so unlikely he had a high burden? Was he grazing on ground that had lambs or ewes on it last grazing? Theres a lot of factors to consider. I would get faecal samples from your other groups of sheep done to be sure they are ok now and go from there, he could have brought in a resistant strain of worms to your flock or he could have picked up a strain of worms that he had not been exposed to before so had very low immunity to them that your own adult sheep have.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

joe35 wrote: »
    Hi young95, sorry to hear about your ram. I'd definitly say it too the seller but I wouldn't be expecting anything from him/her. If the ram was in good form and no signs of worms the only way of knowing would have been through lab tests. Was he sold with garantee of no worms?
    Just bad luck and put it down to a lesson learned. Any more purchases dose no matter what. As the grandfather would say 'devil and all bad luck go with it'
    thanks for reply yea big lesson learned I shouldn’t listen to much to de pen pushers about over dosing and building up resistance and just go with what’s happening on the ground and in my own head. Never asked about worms just more focused on vaccines

joe35 wrote: »

+1 I’d let them know but all purchased sheep should really get a quarenteen dose with a wormer that has no known resistance (zolvix or startect) and kept in a yard or shed for 48 hours to minimise introduction of resistant strains.

Had he lost any weight or was he dirty? It’s a high count alright but there could be another issue aswell. It’s impossible to tell when he picked up the worms. It takes about 3weeks from ingestion to production of eggs in the faeces. Even though it’s a high count it’s possible he had a low or no worm burden when you bought him, you said he was in good shape so unlikely he had a high burden? Was he grazing on ground that had lambs or ewes on it last grazing? Theres a lot of factors to consider. I would get faecal samples from your other groups of sheep done to be sure they are ok now and go from there, he could have brought in a resistant strain of worms to your flock or he could have picked up a strain of worms that he had not been exposed to before so had very low immunity to them that your own adult sheep have.
    Yea gona do my own feacal test to be sure. He was getting meal when I bought him so dat would’ve help him condition wise but look it’s another lesson learned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A hogget should have enough immunity to worms to not need dosing, The quarantine dose is only to protect the sheep on your farm from any resistant worms he'd bring in from another farm,.
    There is something in his previous management that didn't allow him build a resistance to worms, repeated challenges from worms in their first year ensures sheep are resistant to worms after a year old

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

wrangler wrote: »
    A hogget should have enough immunity to worms to not need dosing, The quarantine dose is only to protect the sheep on your farm from any resistant worms he'd bring in from another farm,.
    There is something in his previous management that didn't allow him build a resistance to worms, repeated challenges from worms in their first year ensures sheep are resistant to worms after a year old

Ya young there was nothing you could of done, and I agree with wrangler you're better off without genes like that in your flock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

The other side to it is this year has been extraordinary. The long drought meant that months of worm eggs built up on the pastures and then we had a huge explosion of hatchlings this autumn. Has been a huge issue in taking both lambs and calf’s according to the labs and vets I spoken to. Should this have effected a hogget ram ? Cannt answer that, but 4,500 is a huge burden that could have built up in a very short period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The other side to it is this year has been extraordinary. The long drought meant that months of worm eggs built up on the pastures and then we had a huge explosion of hatchlings this autumn. Has been a huge issue in taking both lambs and calf’s according to the labs and vets I spoken to. Should this have effected a hogget ram ? Cannt answer that, but 4,500 is a huge burden that could have built up in a very short period of time.

What would be the threshold for no need to dose and to dose. Would 300 sound about right?

What would be the threshold for no need to dose and to dose. Would 300 sound about right?

We dose at 500, but everyone differs

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it’s not that simple, massive challenge or concurrent disease will overcome their own natural immunity. We have seen FEC up to 15000epg in lambs this year on routine samples, along with both lambs and cattle dying with prepatent PGE where they had a negative FEC but had been exposed to such a massive challenge they died before worms had developed to adults and begun egg laying. It’s been a very bad year for worms and it could yet be similar for fluke in wetter areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

We dose at 500, but everyone differs

Sent a lamb to the lab last week. Came back signs of damage done by worms even though no worms present. I’m of opinion that we’re still feeling the after effects of summer months after. It just weakened the lambs soo much that their left vulnerable for other things to take them. Never lost soo much from ailments this autumn.

Sent a lamb to the lab last week. Came back signs of damage done by worms even though no worms present. I’m of opinion that we’re still feeling the after effects of summer months after. It just weakened the lambs soo much that their left vulnerable for other things to take them. Never lost soo much from ailments this autumn.

Probably would've be bad here too but for monitoring closely. worm Nos built quickly after the rain. but not in adult sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Cant help but think that the sheeps worst eneny is another sheep. Too much sheep could put pressure on them. Not that its any consolation but i dont think we lost a lamb since spring so it mightnt of been the weather...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Jesus lads yous have me worried now... I'm away for samples today no signs off nothing here and lambs doing good only 60 odd left off ones I bought... I do the ewes with a wormer dose once a year pre lambing they get cydectin triclamox not spelled right but u know wat I'm on about.... it works well for me.

Lambman wrote: »
    Jesus lads yous have me worried now... I'm away for samples today no signs off nothing here and lambs doing good only 60 odd left off ones I bought... I do the ewes with a wormer dose once a year pre lambing they get cydectin triclamox not spelled right but u know wat I'm on about.... it works well for me.

Is that wormer injection or oral? And what price per head those it cost (“?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What should housed ewes be fed lambing early March, only hay, what else would be required

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

DJ98 wrote: »
    What should housed ewes be fed lambing early March, only hay, what else would be required

Multiples will need 0.5 kg rising to 0.75 kg nuts 6 weeks out from lambing 18% protein, singles just 0.25 kg 2 or 3 weeks out
    Plus or minus a week depending on ewe body condition

Multiples will need 0.5 kg rising to 0.75 kg nuts 6 weeks out from lambing 18% protein, singles just 0.25 kg 2 or 3 weeks out

Haven't scanned yet, not until first week of new year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

DJ98 wrote: »

Haven't scanned yet, not until first week of new year
    Are they in already? That’s a long time to have sheep in a shed.

• Advertisement

Willfarman wrote: »
    Are they in already? That’s a long time to have sheep in a shed.

Half of them will be in before Christmas to save ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Have a lamb down with pheumonia. Very annoying when the seller told me he had them vaccinated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Setting up new feed barriers here today for the ewes when they’ll be in the shed.

There’s timber planks left over from when we built the dwelling house that are 6 inches high.

Would that be too low for ewes eating beet, and meal later on?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Setting up new feed barriers here today for the ewes when they’ll be in the shed.

There’s timber planks left over from when we built the dwelling house that are 6 inches high.

Would that be too low for ewes eating beet, and meal later on?

If you want just leave them 2-3 inches off the ground. The bedding builds up pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just had the vet out to treat a ewe for milk fever, first one I ever saw here thankfully.

After getting the calcium into the vein, she was up and nearly off before we could give her a shot into the muscle.

She's not happy now, looking at me like I was trying to kill her:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

sea12 wrote: »
    Have a lamb down with pheumonia. Very annoying when the seller told me he had them vaccinated.

Did your lamb recover?

Lost a lamb to what I expect was pneumonia 2 weeks ago...
    100% my own fault tho, I was busy at work so I wasn’t keeping a good eye on em, so when I did catch her it was too late... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Did your lamb recover?

Lost a lamb to what I expect was pneumonia 2 weeks ago...
    100% my own fault tho, I was busy at work so I wasn’t keeping a good eye on em, so when I did catch her it was too late... :(

No unfortunately she was gone following morn. Will inject the rest of them tomorrow though. Hard to see them probably this time of year when your working as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

sea12 wrote: »
    No unfortunately she was gone following morn. Will inject the rest of them tomorrow though. Hard to see them probably this time of year when your working as well

I had mine injected with the two doses already, but one still got pneumonia...

It is hard to see em, with the mornings and evenings being so dark. It’s a late start when you do see em, and that week was a bad week...

Anyone know how new applicants can join the sheep welfare scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Scanned here last week:

0 - 2
    1 - 9
    2 - 27
    3 - 3

It’s approx 1.8 overall including the empties. All aged 2-6 and no ewe lambs joined this year

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement