Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Scanned here last week:

0 - 2
    1 - 9
    2 - 27
    3 - 3

It’s approx 1.8 overall including the empties. All aged 2-6 and no ewe lambs joined this year
    A real nice 1.8 though 3x as many doubles as singles and only 3 triplets very nice scan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Scanned here last week:

0 - 2
    1 - 9
    2 - 27
    3 - 3

It’s approx 1.8 overall including the empties. All aged 2-6 and no ewe lambs joined this year
    A real nice 1.8 though 3x as many doubles as singles and only 3 triplets very nice scan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Sami23

Just after scanning 31 ewes here:

3 x empty
    2 x singles
    16 x twins
    10 x triplets

Bit surprised to have 3 empty as all 3 had lambs last year and are not old but what can ya do.
    Not overly impressed with the amount of triplets tbh - gonna b hard work trying to keep them all alive but will do my best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

All the best to everyone for 2019......may all your ewes have lots of healthy lambs....and any sickness be kept outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Sent off a batch of lambs before Xmas. I was paid the ordinary going flat rate available on the day as I’m only small scale. They killed out ok, mostly R’3 with exception of one U’3. they were maternal lambs but one killed out poorly at O’2 for which the factory docked me 50cent a kilo. As is was only one lamb I didn’t bother making a fuss, however, how widespread is this ? I cannt imagine them docking any dealers for mart bought lambs in the same way. Anyone else put up with it ? Or is it something I’ll just have to accept ? next time I’ll let them know in advance I won’t accept any docking, or I’ll bring them to the mart instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

welcome to 2019 !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Sent off a batch of lambs before Xmas. I was paid the ordinary going flat rate available on the day as I’m only small scale. They killed out ok, mostly R’3 with exception of one U’3. they were maternal lambs but one killed out poorly at O’2 for which the factory docked me 50cent a kilo. As is was only one lamb I didn’t bother making a fuss, however, how widespread is this ? I cannt imagine them docking any dealers for mart bought lambs in the same way. Anyone else put up with it ? Or is it something I’ll just have to accept ? next time I’ll let them know in advance I won’t accept any docking, or I’ll bring them to the mart instead.

Didn't think they would dock money based on grade? 50cent/kg is a big docking. What was the lambs kill out weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

roosky wrote: »
    welcome to 2019 !!!!!

That's a wind up page

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Didn't think they would dock money based on grade? 50cent/kg is a big docking. What was the lambs kill out weight?

They cut severely for underweight, 17kg is the min weight......in our group we'd be screwed with an O2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Had an o2 this year. The first one ever

• Advertisement

MeTheMan wrote: »

Just slight shy of 17kg. The rest were all near 20kg. All Lleyn x . Wouldn’t mind but they all Adlib meal and clean sheep. Must have been one shy of the feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Which brand of sheep marking Aerosol spray do people find best?....as regards lasting for a decent length of time on their fleece.

I find pharvet ‘Duramark’ lasts a few months.
    Will be scanning mid season ewes in a fortnight and want Lamb return scanner sprays on them to last 2 months+

Any particular colour people favour for scanner to use?....I like purple... a good deep colour.

Appreciate any replies .

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Use duramark here myself for marking ewes and lambs find it good and long lasting. Scanner here supplies his own markers, uses marksman mostly always lasts from scanning to lambing with no probs usually get him to use red.

What way do lads usually get get the scanner to mark the ewes? Here its a 0 on an empty, a dot on a single, no mark on a double and a 3 on a treble

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Scan results.
    9 empty
    13 singles
    56 twins
    5 triplets
    1 quad

1.7 with the empties. 1.9 without them. I'd say 3 or 4 of the empties could lamb yet. Happy enough with them results. Been a long time since we had quads.

Scanner marks '0' for empties, dot for singles, no mark for twins and then 3, 4 after that. Uses a dark purple colour. Lasts well after lambing but sheep are housed, would be less if lambing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Sami23

Scanner marking here:
    Red 0
    Red 1
    Blue 2
    Green 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sami23 wrote: »
    Scanner marking here:
    Red 0
    Red 1
    Blue 2
    Green 3

Scanne here just uses numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Red here for early ewes and green for late. One mark for singles, two for doubles and so on. Any not in lamb get a green spray on the neck and any with problems bet a red mark on the neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

When we used to get em scanned, it was all the same colour

1 - neck
    2 - shoulder
    3 - middle of back
    Empty - stripe down back

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Whats the going rate for winter grazing. How much per week for a ewe. Good cover and good grass but not great fences

joe35 wrote: »
    Whats the going rate for winter grazing. How much per week for a ewe. Good cover and good grass but not great fences

70 - 100c/ewe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ADKELMAC

Lads

I know this has been covered somewhere before, Wrangler you mentioned you had 3in 1 feeders. Just wondering how are lads getting on with them. I'm looking at buying one or two 800 models to feed sheep on the hill this coming springtime. Two flocks spilt 50 ewes and 100 ewes.
    Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
    Also what kind of feed do ye find works best on these feeders, especially in Irish conditions. We'd be 1200 feet above sea level so a lot of moisture.

Thanks

ADKELMAC wrote: »
    Lads

I know this has been covered somewhere before, Wrangler you mentioned you had 3in 1 feeders. Just wondering how are lads getting on with them. I'm looking at buying one or two 800 models to feed sheep on the hill this coming springtime. Two flocks spilt 50 ewes and 100 ewes.
    Also what kind of feed do ye find works best on these feeders, especially in Irish conditions. We'd be 1200 feet above sea level so a lot of moisture.

Thanks

We don't get much trouble with moisture, ours is the 500, it's a low feeder and the rain needs to be horizontal to affect it, I'd imagine that the upright type such as the 800 would be more prone to rain.
    The feeders are suitable for pellets or grain not coarse ration and will feed from about .25kg/hd/day to 2kg/hd /day

They're popular in England, here's a link to an English discussion forum.
    A contributor named Dealer is a distributor and answered a lot of queries on the forum

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/3-in-1-feeders.161260/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Lads

Thanks

Bought an 800 here this year super job, will be going back for another. Hope to use it for some single carrying ewes end of feb too

Cran wrote: »
    Bought an 800 here this year super job, will be going back for another. Hope to use it for some single carrying ewes end of feb too

Does it hold much feed ? Is there an Irish stockist somewhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Does it hold much feed ? Is there an Irish stockist somewhere ?

About 500kg, yep fella in Kilkenny I ll have a look for the name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

We mark them as mark on neck for empty. Mark on shoulder for single, no mark for double, mark on rump for 3. L on side for late or 4 for quads.

Cran wrote: »
    About 500kg, yep fella in Kilkenny I ll have a look for the name

Brian Harris at Dairy Direct

http://www.dairydirect.ie/contact-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ADKELMAC

Lads

Thanks for the information.
    I am torn between the idea that the sheep will gorge themselves on feed and the possibility of the feeder becoming clogged up due to feed swelling due to moisture and them getting no feed at all. At €1,250 each its a big investment for our little enterprise.
    The father is in 70's now and is due a break. He's not looking forward to another springtime I know and my work takes me away for days on end so I'm looking at these feeders as a way of reducing the workload. Saying that he's against the feeders as he reckons they'll be lifted due to the fact our land is on a quiet unpopulated mountain road. I can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Lads

Thanks for the information.
    I am torn between the idea that the sheep will gorge themselves on feed and the possibility of the feeder becoming clogged up due to feed swelling due to moisture and them getting no feed at all. At €1,250 each its a big investment for our little enterprise.
    The father is in 70's now and is due a break. He's not looking forward to another springtime I know and my work takes me away for days on end so I'm looking at these feeders as a way of reducing the workload. Saying that he's against the feeders as he reckons they'll be lifted due to the fact our land is on a quiet unpopulated mountain road. I can't win.

Don't tell anyone how much you've spent on it, take off all the branding stickers and put on one of them ifa registration numbers on it
    https://theftstop.ie/faq

Advertisement