Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ADKELMAC

ganmo wrote: »
    Don't tell anyone how much you've spent on it, take off all the branding stickers and put on one of them ifa registration numbers on it
    https://theftstop.ie/faq

Does that really work or is it just more money for the IFA aka Joe Healy’s general election fund?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

ADKELMAC wrote: »
    Does that really work or is it just more money for the IFA aka Joe Healy’s general election fund?

Ah ffs

It's free!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ADKELMAC

Free did you say?
    Very good. I must look into it.

Excuse my initial skepticism.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

How many round bales of straw are in 8x4x3 bales?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

My scan results:

92 Scanned

10 Empty
    15 Singles
    53 Doubles
    14 Trips

1.77 average

Not too happy about the empty count but what can you do. Most of them will be getting the gate including a couple that scanned empty last year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Artictree what breed you running? Still a good scanning bar the emptys near 200%... scanning here in 2 weeks time should have the main flock done but I'm running 86 horned ewes with a crossing leicster this year aswell and they were slower in tipping so just gonna wait and scan all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lambman wrote: »
    Artictree what breed you running? Still a good scanning bar the emptys near 200%... scanning here in 2 weeks time should have the main flock done but I'm running 86 horned ewes with a crossing leicster this year aswell and they were slower in tipping so just gonna wait and scan all together.

Have Lleyns and Llyen crosses. I suppose it's not too bad. Had a lot of lamb mortality last year so trying to reduce that this year. I have made a decision not to allow the ewes keep triplets any more. Too many problems even if she has great milk.

Took away the last of the rams from the ewes at the weekend and one of them is like a bag of bones, the condition just fell off him in the last week, he's lame, what would be the best diet to offer him to help regain condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

DJ98 wrote: »
    Took away the last of the rams from the ewes at the weekend and one of them is like a bag of bones, the condition just fell off him in the last week, he's lame, what would be the best diet to offer him to help regain condition?

Any of the lamb finisher rations would be good for him, start him on half a kilo/day and build him up slowly to a kilo/day if he can take it.
    Look after the feet as well, he probably could do with an antibiotic injection if there;s infection.
    make sure his teeth are alright and that he's not sick..... he shouldn't have gone to skin and bones, could it be fluke.
    Lameness will cut the flesh off them anyway

wrangler wrote: »
    Any of the lamb finisher rations would be good for him, start him on half a kilo/day and build him up slowly to a kilo/day if he can take it.
    Look after the feet as well, he probably could do with an antibiotic injection.
    make sure his teeth are alright and that he's not sick..... he shouldn't have gone to skin and bones, could it be fluke.
    Lameness will cut the flesh off them anyway

Doesed him for fluke and worms and done feet at the weekend so hopefully that'll get him going again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

That could be the best ram in your flock. Good chance he's exhausted from following sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Is there anything to get a decent fluke kill, that has a short withdrawal ? Have stores here, that I’m drafting every few weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Duotech is 18 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

My ewes are lambing from paddy’s day so they are approx 10 weeks off lambing

In a normal year I feed the trips from 9 weeks out, the twins from 6 weeks and the singles from four weeks building from .2kg upto 1kg,.7kg and .4 kg for the trips twins and singles, respectively. They would be receiving average quality silage outdoors until three weeks pre lambing then it would be hay

This year I have a lot of grass and have 30 acres of strong grass to graze yet, my question is what feeding is in this grass it was baled last September got no fert and billed up naturally

Would I get away with not feeding twins until a month out and singles 2 weeks or what would ye think, grass will be fed to appetite

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

roosky wrote: »

In a normal year I feed the trips from 9 weeks out, the twins from 6 weeks and the singles from four weeks building from .2kg upto 1kg,.7kg and .4 kg for the trips twins and singles, respectively. They would be receiving average quality silage outdoors until three weeks pre lambing then it would be hay

This year I have a lot of grass and have 30 acres of strong grass to graze yet, my question is what feeding is in this grass it was baled last September got no fert and billed up naturally

Would I get away with not feeding twins until a month out and singles 2 weeks or what would ye think, grass will be fed to appetite

Have a look at Table 2 on p.4 here: http://beefandlamb.ahdb.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/BRP-Improving-ewe-nutrition-manual-12-050416.pdf

This shows how much feeding/energy ewes need in the run up to lambing. The amount of energy in different types of feed is on p.21 then.

Once you know what they need, you can work back from there to see when to start supplementing them; e.g.

* Six weeks out, a 70kg ewe with twins needs approx. 12MJ (from table on p.4)

* She'll get 10.5MJ from grass (end of p.21) and so needs 1.5MJ from meal

* Good quality meal is 12.8MJ per kg (p.21), so 0.15kg would do. The meal would help with protein levels and minerals too.

0.15kg is nothing really, but at 4 weeks out she'll need 0.25kg (and rising from there) using the same calculations. Check it yourself and keep an eye on them, but I'd say you'd be fine not feeding til 4 weeks out - as long as they're eating enough grass, and the weather is kind.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Have a look at Table 2 on p.4 here: http://beefandlamb.ahdb.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/BRP-Improving-ewe-nutrition-manual-12-050416.pdf

This shows how much feeding/energy ewes need in the run up to lambing. The amount of energy in different types of feed is on p.21 then.

Once you know what they need, you can work back from there to see when to start supplementing them; e.g.

* Six weeks out, a 70kg ewe with twins needs approx. 12MJ (from table on p.4)

* She'll get 10.5MJ from grass (end of p.21) and so needs 1.5MJ from meal

* Good quality meal is 12.8MJ per kg (p.21), so 0.15kg would do. The meal would help with protein levels and minerals too.

0.15kg is nothing really, but at 4 weeks out she'll need 0.25kg (and rising from there) using the same calculations. Check it yourself and keep an eye on them, but I'd say you'd be fine not feeding til 4 weeks out - as long as they're eating enough grass, and the weather is kind.

The grass dry matter will be hugely important. Wet grass will lower intakes and condition on multiple ewes will melt off in a few days so I'd be going in as soon as the rain starts.

Without seeing grass I’m sure they’ll be fine on it. My only concern would be twin lamb disease if the weather got harsh

A few feed buckets would probably prevent this. Also make sure there not overstocked imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

razor8 wrote: »
    Without seeing grass I’m sure they’ll be fine on it. My only concern would be twin lamb disease if the weather got harsh

A few feed buckets would probably prevent this. Also make sure there not overstocked imo

Oh ya its all weather dependent if it stayed fine they would be grand but if it got wet and messy i would be giving crystal licks to get me to housing

Oh ya its all weather dependent if it stayed fine they would be grand but if it got wet and messy i would be giving crystal licks to get me to housing

It’s their natural environment and huge saving on labour

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

leave the twins on it to lamb outside the grass by paddy day will be full of protein for them and leave out crystal x buckets six weeks out for energy and increase in dm intake your ewes will be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Bought a pen of lambs last night that are a very mixed batch but I see one has a broken leg, looks healthy and grand other wise but I was just wondering was there anything I cud do for him to help him along

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

390kid wrote: »
    Bought a pen of lambs last night that are a very mixed batch but I see one has a broken leg, looks healthy and grand other wise but I was just wondering was there anything I cud do for him to help him along

I think just leave it alone, had a ewe last year broke her leg and it mended away fine on its own...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Front or back leg?....had a nice ewe Lamb with broken front leg down well on leg....vet put cast on it....cost 40 euro incl painkilling injections but leg came perfect ...if untreated it’s very hit and miss if they will reknit.Had to leave the lamb indoors for around a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Put him in a small pen, to make sure he doesnt b trying to runnaround/catch up with his pals...for a while to let it heal... worked for us anyway..
    It takes a bit of time though..

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Front or back leg?....had a nice ewe Lamb with broken front leg down well on leg....vet put cast on it....cost 40 euro incl painkilling injections but leg came perfect ...if untreated it’s very hit and miss if they will reknit.Had to leave the lamb indoors for around a month.

It’s a back leg up high. Went to do something last night and it’s already f#*cking knitted. He walks away on it the best do just don’t want him melting

Started all the ewes on bales off silage 2 days ago still have good grass but will be housing in 3 weeks or there abouts so it's more getting them used till silage in there diet again..... anyways I forgot how much off a b*****d them round feeders are they just about fit over a bale why don't they make them wider there would be much less waste? Anyone using feeders were bale sits up off the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭kk.man

Started all the ewes on bales off silage 2 days ago still have good grass but will be housing in 3 weeks or there abouts so it's more getting them used till silage in there diet again..... anyways I forgot how much off a b*****d them round feeders are they just about fit over a bale why don't they make them wider there would be much less waste? Anyone using feeders were bale sits up off the ground?
    I have both..Great job the ones off the ground. I use the ring one in an emergency. They p I'll it too much and it's wasted on the ground. Young lambs jump into them also.

Ay there a disaster... aul fella wants me till buy 2 more till put a half into the 4 there so there would be 3 halves around a bale if you get me. We're did u source the ones that keeps bale off the ground? Will a bale lifter on back off tractor lift it high enough? No front end loader here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ay there a disaster... aul fella wants me till buy 2 more till put a half into the 4 there so there would be 3 halves around a bale if you get me. We're did u source the ones that keeps bale off the ground? Will a bale lifter on back off tractor lift it high enough? No front end loader here.

If they were any bigher the sheep wouldnt be able to eat the middle of the bale

• Advertisement

Least you could throw it out till they could reach it... the way they are now there's a whole Lotta waste

Advertisement