Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Lambman wrote: »
    Ay there a disaster... aul fella wants me till buy 2 more till put a half into the 4 there so there would be 3 halves around a bale if you get me. We're did u source the ones that keeps bale off the ground? Will a bale lifter on back off tractor lift it high enough? No front end loader here.

I do what your Dad says to do. Works well . Then when they eat it back i just pull the 2 rings together and they clean it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Started all the ewes on bales off silage 2 days ago still have good grass but will be housing in 3 weeks or there abouts so it's more getting them used till silage in there diet again..... anyways I forgot how much off a b*****d them round feeders are they just about fit over a bale why don't they make them wider there would be much less waste? Anyone using feeders were bale sits up off the ground?

not mine, but a fellow I follow on Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Not sure how they’ll reach the middle of bale, but I like the closeness of the bars, doesn’t appear like the sheep can climb into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

That's the job there Ormond exactly what I'm after... anyone know who makes them? Bale left in on its side like that would be a better job aswell would fall apart easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

That's the job there Ormond exactly what I'm after... anyone know who makes them? Bale left in on its side like that would be a better job aswell would fall apart easier.

home made ( or made for him by some one locally )

it's the same diameter as a cattle circular feeder, and yes he did say that leaving the bale on end they would pull out some of it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

Scanned the ewes saturday 1.86 form texel suffolk cross

The have floated around 1.75 to 1.85 for last 10 years but dropped to 1.45 last year.........

what a difference weather makes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

roosky wrote: »
    Scanned the ewes saturday 1.86 form texel suffolk cross

The have floated around 1.75 to 1.85 for last 10 years but dropped to 1.45 last year.........

what a difference weather makes

Pad i know scanned 305 lambs from 135 ewes. Crazy altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Pad i know scanned 305 lambs from 135 ewes. Crazy altogether

Were they belclares

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

A man in our group has over 400 triplets and quads from 1500 ewes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what would those lads do ? feed on artifical lamb feeder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Scanned 1.83
    150 doubles
    60 singles
    30 triplets
    6 empty
    40% hoggets
    Lambing 1st March
    Housing triplets 1st feb, doubles 15th and singles end feb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

wrangler wrote: »
    Were they belclares

No set ewe type. Suffolk texel mules Leicester etc. No belclares that i know of

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Dickie10 wrote: »
    what would those lads do ? feed on artifical lamb feeder?

Foster lambs as much as possible automatic feeder and done deal

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Scans around here seem to be down this year from lads i been talking to,good few empties as well, ewes werent in great condition going ram, badly affected by the drought. Im not scanning for another fortnight so dont know what way im fixed yet but some ewes look light so not expecting great results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Alot off emptys around here aswell but still good scans a high % off doubles against the singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭DJ98

How mjch meal a day should ewe carrying single and twins be getting, getting good hay aswell and a pick of beet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

DJ98 wrote: »
    How mjch meal a day should ewe carrying single and twins be getting, getting good hay aswell and a pick of beet

Depends on how far off lambing she is.

Ewe with twins needs 12MJ of energy/nutrition per day when she's six weeks from lambing, rising to 17-18MJ the day before she lambs.

There's 8MJ in 1kg of hay, 12MJ in 1kg of beet, and 12MJ in 1kg of good meal. The meal will also help with protein and minerals, and as the lambs grow inside her, she won't be able to eat as much hay or beet so will need more of her energy requirement from the meal as it's "calorie dense".

Our plan at home is to feed 0.3kg from 6 weeks out, rising to 0.5kg in their final week. They'll have beet and straw then ad-lib to make up the difference, once they have the initial 6MJ from 0.5kg of meal first. If they can still manage to consume 1kg of beet, they'll just pick the straw for roughage.

We'll adjust as required closer to the time, but this the broad plan at this point.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭kk.man

I have a texel ram that is lame so I brought him in today to check his feet first. I turned him over and paired his front feet and gave both a dart of the blue spray. I went to pair his rear ones however he wouldn't let me. I tried twisting his head to the side to help stop movement but it's no good. Even spraying the rear ones were problematic. I gave him an injection of alymicin and after a few minutes I ran him through the footbath.
    I have no turnover crate nor am I buying one. I do the sheep on my own and have no help. Any suggestion as how I could restrain him? I would consider myself strong and fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Stubborn cxxts alright. Did you try lying him on his side. The can be fairly lazy and not jumping up like a ewe. If you have a yard with a bit of a slope that would make it difficult to get up from it works even handier. Also have a good knife and cutters with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭razor8

ganmo wrote: »

Have one of them that I leave sitting on Quad. Great job when you find a sick sheep and need to go back to yard to get medicines. Can just leave sheep in the field

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

kk.man wrote: »
    I have a texel ram that is lame so I brought him in today to check his feet first. I turned him over and paired his front feet and gave both a dart of the blue spray. I went to pair his rear ones however he wouldn't let me. I tried twisting his head to the side to help stop movement but it's no good. Even spraying the rear ones were problematic. I gave him an injection of alymicin and after a few minutes I ran him through the footbath.
    I have no turnover crate nor am I buying one. I do the sheep on my own and have no help. Any suggestion as how I could restrain him? I would consider myself strong and fit.

Don’t need to trim them, we stopped trimming about 5 years ago and our lameness has improved. Inject him again with the alamycin in a day or two and he should come sound if it’s footrot. If he needs more than two injections of long acting alamycin then I would maybe get something stronger to cure him but consider culling him if he doesn’t come sound fairly easily.
    Trimming has been shown to have no benefits unless you are treating “Shelly hoof”

razor8 wrote: »
    Have one of them that I leave sitting on Quad. Great job when you find a sick sheep and need to go back to yard to get medicines. Can just leave sheep in the field

Would it fit around a ram of 3 years old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭razor8

Haven’t tried it. Maybe tight enough but I’ve managed big ewes

I rarely pair any of the sheep's feet but when they are overgrown I give the odd one a clip. I have found the footbath bath a great piece of kit.

Thanks for replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

kk.man wrote: »

Been there, done that, bringing back memories of my texel rams. He probably has abit of heat in his hoofs and probably why he won’t let you touch them.
    Your actions today will fix him up, but if he keeps reoffending, consider culling. Does the lameness follow though to his lambs ?

Been there, done that, bringing back memories of my texel rams. He probably has abit of heat in his hoofs and probably why he won’t let you touch them.
    Your actions today will fix him up, but if he keeps reoffending, consider culling. Does the lameness follow though to his lambs ?

No doesn't follow through but he is awarkard to handle and oral dose those traits are in his offspring!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Scanned 1.9 this morning . Very happy with the scan results. Most of the ewe lambs scanned with singles too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Scanned the February lambing ewes. Old ewes on they’re last year, ewes that have given problems etc and cheap horned ewes I bought. Most will go in the summer. Scan results poor in our area so I’m a bit worried about the main flock.
    1 quad
    19 triplets
    142 twins
    107 singles
    13 barren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have a severely lame ram, was spraying his foot with alymicin spray and footbathing, both done nothing for him, got antibiotics off the vet last week for him and he was getting better but notice today's he's worse than ever, lump of fluid I think on what I'd call his ankle area, just above the hoof, won't put this leg on the ground at all, any ideas what's it could be?

Advertisement