Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have a severely lame ram, was spraying his foot with alymicin spray and footbathing, both done nothing for him, got antibiotics off the vet last week for him and he was getting better but notice today's he's worse than ever, lump of fluid I think on what I'd call his ankle area, just above the hoof, won't put this leg on the ground at all, any ideas what's it could be?

Could it be CODD?

See attached - look for CODD in it, or google CODD

https://www.qmscotland.co.uk/sites/default/files/diagnosis_treatment_of_lameness_guide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Could it be CODD?

See attached - look for CODD in it, or google CODD

https://www.qmscotland.co.uk/sites/default/files/diagnosis_treatment_of_lameness_guide.pdf

Lookw very like that, is it curable?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

DJ98 wrote: »
    Lookw very like that, is it curable?

It can be a bastard of a thing to cure. Highly contagious!! Keep him the hell away from the rest of the sheep. Take a picture and show it to the vet or have him come out. If it is codd you'll need more then the usual cures to shift it.

I know they cull sheep with codd in a lot of places. I'd give treating it ago. Make sure he is separated in a pen (rather then out in a field) disinfectant, gloves, etc. if it spreads through the flock it could be a absolute nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

If it is codd inject him with the strongest anti biotic possible bring him to the vet for an examination if needs be. I got it very bad and it took a year to fully get rid of . I culled extremely hard no matter what got it after the first treatment. I found it an awfully worrying time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Anyone at kiernans mill last night, great presentation by Tommy the Vet, if you think I'm fanatical about ensuring sufficient colostrum, you'd want to hear him.
    I thought the farmer giving the first presentation was very poor, suggesting giving substitute biestings even before the lamb sucked, pfft :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

wrangler wrote: »
    Anyone at kiernans mill last night, great presentation by Tommy the Vet, if you think I'm fanatical about ensuring sufficient colostrum, you'd want to hear him.
    I thought the farmer giving the first presentation was very poor, suggesting giving substitute biestings even before the lamb sucked, pfft :eek:

I was there wrangler....Ya tommy was good he is an exciting speaker just gets you listening.

i was let down by the guest speaker farmer, i dont mean to be in anyway harsh on the lad but all he had going for him was flock size and with 68% of flocks having under 100 ewes its hard to see the benefit in getting speakers with large flocks for the sake of it......you were better with a lad with 100 ewes on 25 acres running a really technically efficient system.

The artificial colostrum advice bugged me and to not be able to give a stocking rate, not even a round figure was strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Was that the mule man?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

roosky wrote: »
    I was there wrangler....Ya tommy was good he is an exciting speaker just gets you listening.

i was let down by the guest speaker farmer, i dont mean to be in anyway harsh on the lad but all he had going for him was flock size and with 68% of flocks having under 100 ewes its hard to see the benefit in getting speakers with large flocks for the sake of it......you were better with a lad with 100 ewes on 25 acres running a really technically efficient system.

The artificial colostrum advice bugged me and to not be able to give a stocking rate, not even a round figure was strange.

Did Tommy not contradict him? Sounds very strange advice to be giving out at a talk

razor8 wrote: »
    Did Tommy not contradict him? Sounds very strange advice to be giving out at a talk

well he wasn't advising it but that's what he does, in fairness to Tommy it wasn't really his place to come in and say your doing this wrong your doing that wrong but he did come very strong about the value of colostrum in his talk after

razor8 wrote: »

He didn't actually contradict him, but he made it known politely he didn't agree with it. he said that even the best substitutes were only middling and that was being generous,
    It was me that tried to pin the farmer on the stocking rate, but he wasn't saying, he gave very little info on his own farm and that's what you go to these things for. Kiernans have had great farmers doing the presentation every year until this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Scanned horned ewes this morning 80 scanned 74 in lamb 6.25% empty 129 lambs 1.69% not including emptys delighted with that all old ewes just bought off hill 4 weeks before tupping coming till a crossing Leicster.

What did you think of dipping the navels in Jeyes Fluid, I don't think I'd agree with that either
    He uses it pure when it's supposed to be diluted at about 30 to 1 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

What did you think of dipping the navels in Jeyes Fluid, I don't think I'd agree with that either

That cant be legal??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Auld lad is fierce fond of it. Did the farmer pr vet say that? Puts a nice smell around the place

Auld lad is fierce fond of it. Did the farmer pr vet say that? Puts a nice smell around the place

Farmer said it, it can't be right to put it on navels, there's supposed to be creosote in it

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Scanned today, happy enough though a bit back on last year, all mature ewes 1390 scanned
    0- 24
    1-428
    2-850
    3-88
    Very happy with the amount of Empty's, ewes only got 5 weeks with the rams

I put jeyes fluid and white spirtis and things like putting burned oil on orf or ring worm in the same bracket..............if you wouldn't to it to your own open or exposed flesh i wouldn't do it to an animal

Like lets say you get a dirty cut you would happily spray blue spray or iodine on it.....would you hell put white spirits or neat jeyes fluid on it

I put jeyes fluid and white spirtis and things like putting burned oil on orf or ring worm in the same bracket..............if you wouldn't to it to your own open or exposed flesh i wouldn't do it to an animal

Like lets say you get a dirty cut you would happily spray blue spray or iodine on it.....would you hell put white spirits or neat jeyes fluid on it

They're great lambs to survive it, there's loads of stuff licensed for the job without that

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Regarding the new tags, I only need to order slaughter tags this year and was wondering is the grant available for them. Also how long is the grant open for. I've plenty of eid tags so wouldn't want to ordèr any till next year at the earliest. TIA

joe35 wrote: »
    Regarding the new tags, I only need to order slaughter tags this year and was wondering is the grant available for them. Also how long is the grant open for. I've plenty of eid tags so wouldn't want to ordèr any till next year at the earliest. TIA

all tags are now eid......

Lambs goign direct from farm to slaughter need 1 eid tag

Sheep moving off farm need a pair of eid tags

grant is open once off on a max of 100 tags so buy the 100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

do i need eid tags in lambs going to factory say next week?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    do i need eid tags in lambs going to factory say next week?

No, we have until 1st june now

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/revisions-announced-for-mandatory-extension-of-eid-tagging-to-all-sheep/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭kk.man

How will one go about selling young lambs with their mothers at the marts if no old tags available?

kk.man wrote: »
    How will one go about selling young lambs with their mothers at the marts if no old tags available?

You will have to use 2 new eid i would say, no more old ones being sold, the extension until june is to use up old tags but your obviously ahead of the game !

You will have to use 2 new eid i would say, no more old ones being sold, the extension until june is to use up old tags but your obviously ahead of the game !

Imagine those tags on small lambs ...surely a cruelty issue.

kk.man wrote: »
    Imagine those tags on small lambs ...surely a cruelty issue.

You don't have to use big tags
    We use these on baby lambs, we only use one but they'll supply EID and non EID on the same number if you want

http://www.quicktag.co.uk/products/234-tagfaster-senior-eid-twins.aspx?CategoryID=82

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

We use these on baby lambs, we only use one but they'll supply EID and non EID on the same number if you want

http://www.quicktag.co.uk/products/234-tagfaster-senior-eid-twins.aspx?CategoryID=82

How do they work out in comparison to cormac etc ? Any cheaper ?

How do they work out in comparison to cormac etc ? Any cheaper ?

We got them for 95c last year but I see they're €1.19 this year ......here's the equivalent Cormac

https://www.cormactagging.ie/sheep

Much easier on small lambs anyway, pity the others are so dear, we used get them on a roll and had an automatic gun for putting them in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

We got them for 95c last year but I see they're €1.19 this year ......here's the equivalent Cormac

https://www.cormactagging.ie/sheep

Much easier on small lambs anyway, pity the others are so dear, we used get them on a roll and had an automatic gun for putting them in

Probably get the cormac ones for 98c if their the cheapest. Like everyone else , I just stick em on after loading trailer going out gate. Good to known there’s something available for a euro though. Abit better then €1.30

• Advertisement

Wrangler are they linked to the Dept data base? ...How do they know the tag numbers given that they are a uk company?

Advertisement