Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Razor8 no they'd be bigger than Mayo's say there plenty a swaledale in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Would all the aged ewes go in lamb or would there be alot empty?

80 off 84 scanned in lamb this year... The four still could be in lamb as ram wasn't pulled from them 2 early... Scanned 150% including emptys

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks for the advice again folks re housing. Did the footbath and clostridia vaccine on Friday, then left them out again. And put them into the shed this afternoon.

Keeping a close eye on them to make sure all eat and no one’s too shy but so far so good.

Left the single bearing mountainy ones outside. Gave them a few cubes but they don’t seem that interested. “Suit yer cracked selves”, says I :-)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Do 2 week old lambs being sold with ewes out of the yard have to be tagged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »
    Do 2 week old lambs being sold with ewes out of the yard have to be tagged?

Technically yes but its hardly worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone buy soya Beal meal by the bag ? Got quoted €13 a bag here or €520 a tonne. Anyone use anything else as a protein finisher for lambs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Anyone buy soya Beal meal by the bag ? Got quoted €13 a bag here or €520 a tonne. Anyone use anything else as a protein finisher for lambs ?

400€ a ton collected in big bags here

400€ a ton collected in big bags here

Amazing how some places just don’t want to sell it to you. Just want you to buy their lamb finisher and nothing else.

I'd just give the tags for the lambs till the buyer so he can tag them when they get older..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Scanned ewes here last week very disappointed 1.6 lambs per ewe including empties . Anyone else scan poor this year?

Same price in small bags here. Is protein needed foe lambs at this time pf year. Would maize meal be a lot better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Young95 wrote: »
    Scanned ewes here last week very disappointed 1.6 lambs per ewe including empties . Anyone else scan poor this year?

Yeah, I had 10 empties from 90 Ewes. No abortions or deaths yet and 10 days from lambing so not doing too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭kk.man

arctictree wrote: »
    Yeah, I had 10 empties from 90 Ewes. No abortions or deaths yet and 10 days from lambing so not doing too bad.

That seems to be the run of it alright. The drought effected them.

Same price in small bags here. Is protein needed foe lambs at this time pf year. Would maize meal be a lot better?

Is ground maize meal and maize distrillers grains the same thing or two different things ? Can buy the ground maize meal for reasonable money, in small bags but Teagasc say the maize distrillers can be huge in copper, so was cautious about using it, Incase it was the same thing. Anybody know the answer ?

Young95 wrote: »

Got them scanned the other day. Im down .3 from last year. I knew even before the scanner arrived I knew I’d be down because of the drought. before he started scanning, I asked him what he was seeing on at the moment. He said loads of singles and mine was no different. Had 2.5% empty, so happy with that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Got them scanned the other day. Im down .3 from last year. I knew even before the scanner arrived I knew I’d be down because of the drought. before he started scanning, I asked him what he was seeing on at the moment. He said loads of singles and mine was no different. Had 2.5% empty, so happy with that as well.

Back .25 here, but triplets back most tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Accept it, you'll have less hassle less work and more sold younger....after all you can't put lambs in em now :D

wrangler wrote: »
    Accept it, you'll have less hassle less work and more sold younger....after all you can't put lambs in em now :D

Well said, It’s the way I’m looking at it as well. Save me some money on mealing them over the next month or so as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Is ground maize meal and maize distrillers grains the same thing or two different things ? Can buy the ground maize meal for reasonable money, in small bags but Teagasc say the maize distrillers can be huge in copper, so was cautious about using it, Incase it was the same thing. Anybody know the answer ?

They're two separate feeds. Maize meal is great value for what it is.

• Advertisement

Never had a better scanning here than this year 214% in cross breed ewes no emptys in 112 ewes 150% in old horned ewes off the hill 2 weeks before ram went with then 150% with 4 emptys whick could still be in lamb delighted

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Very unlikely we’re in the new ANC maps but is there any place online where you can check?

Thanks

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Different things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Very unlikely we’re in the new ANC maps but is there any place online where you can check?

Thanks

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmerschemespayments/basicpaymentschemegreeningareasofnaturalconstraints/areasofnaturalconstraintsancscheme2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

As far as I know, maize meal is what used to be known as "yellow meal" - old lads used to swear by yellow meal & barley as a finishing ration for lambs...

Anybody know much about Badgers just seen 7 in the space off about 300yards in a area I never seen one before in 34 years... Is it there breeding time or what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Lambman wrote: »
    Anybody know much about Badgers just seen 7 in the space off about 300yards in a area I never seen one before in 34 years... Is it there breeding time or what now?

Its a busy time for them alright - atm they are probably cleaning out their setts for new litters. They can move large piles of old bedding from one place to another

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

First prolapse of the season here. Got it in and strapped her up. Do you lads give a shot of Penicillin too? See it recommended in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

arctictree wrote: »
    First prolapse of the season here. Got it in and strapped her up. Do you lads give a shot of Penicillin too? See it recommended in places.

Was at a talk last night and they were saying we should be using pain relief like metacam a lot more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭orm0nd

razor8 wrote: »
    Was at a talk last night and they were saying we should be using pain relief like metacam a lot more

is it licensed for sheep ?

Advertisement