Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Lads is turned in eyelids in lambs a nutrition/mineral deficiency or a trait off the ram getting a good few this year for some reason... off both rams but mostly off the texel other is charrlois... any ideas on the reason? First year i lambed indoors would this maybe be a factor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Lambman wrote: »
    Lads is turned in eyelids in lambs a nutrition/mineral deficiency or a trait off the ram getting a good few this year for some reason... off both rams but mostly off the texel other is charrlois... any ideas on the reason? First year i lambed indoors would this maybe be a factor?

Genetic. I had a bad run a few years ago off ewes from a previous ram and one of the current rams. Mark the ewes and cull them over a few years and get rid of the ram causing it now if you can identify him.

The ewes the texel was with is in there 3rd season so doubtful it's them that's the carrier but ram was just bought last year so he'll be getting the road shortly... leaves me not able till keep ewe lambs off him now either i take it as theyll all have it in there genetics?

Lambman wrote: »
    The ewes the texel was with is in there 3rd season so doubtful it's them that's the carrier but ram was just bought last year so he'll be getting the road shortly... leaves me not able till keep ewe lambs off him now either i take it as theyll all have it in there genetics?

There will be a lot less if a non carrier ram is used. You will still see the odd one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Should heptavac p prevent pneumonia in ewes at thus time of year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Genetic. I had a bad run a few years ago off ewes from a previous ram and one of the current rams. Mark the ewes and cull them over a few years and get rid of the ram causing it now if you can identify him.

I have it in my ewes with about 20% of lambs getting it. I dont find it any huge inconvenience I just check all lambs when tailing them and turn the eyelids out the right way and off with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

roosky wrote: »
    I have it in my ewes with about 20% of lambs getting it. I dont find it any huge inconvenience I just check all lambs when tailing them and turn the eyelids out the right way and off with them

I've one lad that won't come right, it's one problem ya don't have to deal with

roosky wrote: »
    Most only need one turn and they're ok. Some take 2 or 3 goes and that takes a bit of time so I've been culling hard for this the last few years. I've had only 3 in total this year, down from 20 4 years ago.

Had till be in my ram as never had 1 lamb with it before in 3 crops outta the same ewes! Will it come right without intervention or will it leave them blind? Do yous inject liquid parrafin behind the eyelid till swell itbout or just pinch it with ur fingers? As ganmo says its an inconvience i could do without! Any man looking for a texel ram haha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Had one last year and vet gave shot of pen strep into the eye lid and then perfect.
    The ewe is suppose to be the main carrier and when mated to a carrier you get the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG6JMhAAWVw

this is only nessesary in the most extreme cases and is quite difficult small needle essential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Is there any risk for nematodorius yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 connolly18

does anyone have any gd ways to get a bit of weight behind 1 month old lambs

when do use wean the lambs like how many months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

connolly18 wrote: »

Give them meal in a creep feeder, wean them off the ewes at 12 weeks of age

connolly18 wrote: »
    Keep plenty of good fresh grass ahead of the ewes and lambs for another month and try to get the lambs to graze ahead of the ewes if you can and the ewes to clean up what the lambs have left behind. It might not be possible this year but something to keep in mind for next year.

rangler1 wrote: »
    Give them meal in a creep feeder, wean them off the ewes at 12 weeks of age

thanks

Keep plenty of good fresh grass ahead of the ewes and lambs for another month and try to get the lambs to graze ahead of the ewes if you can and the ewes to clean up what the lambs have left behind. It might not be possible this year but something to keep in mind for next year.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Have 2 pet lambs (2 1/2 weeks old), they got cow beastins for first few days & lamblac since.
    Long story short we had to give carton milk tonight as we were out of powder.
    Should we get more powder for tomorrow or give carton milk?

Farrell wrote: »
    Have 2 pet lambs (2 1/2 weeks old), they got cow beastins for first few days & lamblac since.
    Long story short we had to give carton milk tonight as we were out of powder.
    Should we get more powder for tomorrow or give carton milk?

Cows milk isn't high enough in fat for lambs, and shop milk has less. Get them back on Lamlac, changing like that isn't good for them either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Flying through bags of Lamlac here, is the cattle milk replacer any cheaper ? any good for lambs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Flying through bags of Lamlac here, is the cattle milk replacer any cheaper ? any good for lambs ?

no it'll kill lambs

No, again not high enough in fat for lambs, you can get lamlac cheaper in 25kg bags in some places, only in red bags,
    Lamlac suitable only for automatic machines comes in 25kg green bags, think it's called freeflow.

Better stick to the lamlac so. Hopefully wean them soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Any lads here in a kt discussion group? Anybody get the flock health plan done with the vet? What did it involve and what did they charge?

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/pics-a-sheep-shed-designed-to-make-life-easier-during-the-lambing-season/#

Well everyone, is this sort of money to be made in sheep, or what.
    I spent €35000 plus Vat on a tunnel here to house 200 ewes.
    Here's 100000 spent on 160 ewes.
    ICM would need to review their pricing structure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/pics-a-sheep-shed-designed-to-make-life-easier-during-the-lambing-season/#

Well everyone, is this sort of money to be made in sheep, or what.
    I spent €35000 plus Vat on a tunnel here to house 200 ewes.
    Here's 100000 spent on 160 ewes.
    ICM would need to review their pricing structure

Fcuk me....no half measures with that lad....outdoor lambing,field to field to that

But will it ever pay for itself???....or for that matter will the 6ft tanks ever fill?

Fcuk me....no half measures with that lad....outdoor lambing,field to field to that

But will it ever pay for itself???....or for that matter will the 6ft tanks ever fill?

Tanks have to be 6ft for agitators to work, i presume you start with a couple foot of water in the tank.
    2017 has all the indications of a year of poor lamb price, store buyers won't be as courageous nest autumn to underpin lamb price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Tanks have to be 6ft for agitators to work, i presume you start with a couple foot of water in the tank.
    2017 has all the indications of a year of poor lamb price, store buyers won't be as courageous nest autumn to underpin lamb price

I've often wondered about agitating sheep slats....though have on my travels seen a shortened agitator for the job

.but it always struck as a job that a bit of inventivess could come around....park on ramps/lagoon agitators etc

But I'm rambling now!!
    Tbf the last 2 years have been ok pricewise for sheep anyways

But then store prices have been very high and I always suspected leaving poor margins...Maybe 85 euro for a store and struggle get over 105 for fully finished lamb....deosnt leave much for mistakes/few deaths would quickly kill your margins?

• Advertisement

When your boll**ed tired at the end of lambing season, shed like that looks like good idea. Often thought of converting my own shed to something like that ( on a greatly reduced budget) Could you put down slats and lift them to clean out with transport box instead of tank ? Seen an article about a shed where everything is up high and tractor drives in underneath .

Advertisement