Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭kk.man

DJ98 wrote: »
    Ewe scanned for twins, going about lambing since morning however when I pulled the first lamb it came out wrapped in the cleanings, born dead, she's too tight to get the second lamb anyidea what the cause of this would be?

Did u leave her too long to intervene...I usually give them an hour after seeing the water bag.

I'm only summarising... not an expert

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    Did u leave her too long to intervene...I usually give them an hour after seeing the water bag.

I'm only summarising... not an expert

I'd be the same.....''if in doubt get them out'' I've always heard, Ewes are inclined to dry out inside if left too long I find, Every case is different
    On saying that, if all the lambs are dead some ewes don't break down at all.,

Ewe scanned for twins, going about lambing since morning however when I pulled the first lamb it came out wrapped in the cleanings, born dead, she's too tight to get the second lamb anyidea what the cause of this would be?

Could be anything, hurt, dogs, even mouldy silage, We always bring them to a lab for post mortem.
    Seeing that teh other lamb came out you should be able to get the second one out, put plenty of gel into her and use a twine on the head and the feet.
    You might get to put a lamb on her if she has milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

wrangler wrote: »
    Could be anything, hurt, dogs, even mouldy silage, We always bring them to a lab for post mortem.
    Seeing that teh other lamb came out you should be able to get the second one out, put plenty of gel into her and use a twine on the head and the feet.
    You might get to put a lamb on her if she has milk

Second lamb out, also dead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Second lamb out, also dead

You'll have that. Try and foster on a lamb or 2 asap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

We’ll be keeping 25-30 ewe lambs this year as replacements. If I sprayed numbers on them to match with their mothers as they’re being left out of the shed, would the number be still on them in 2 months time? Or would the spray have washed off and I’d be better off just tagging them as they go out?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

We’ll be keeping 25-30 ewe lambs this year as replacements. If I sprayed numbers on them to match with their mothers as they’re being left out of the shed, would the number be still on them in 2 months time? Or would the spray have washed off and I’d be better off just tagging them as they go out?

Use an ear notcher here to mark potential replacements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Throw a tag in them, markers never stay especially as wool grows

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Cran wrote: »
    Throw a tag in them, markers never stay especially as wool grows

Thanks. It’ll be one less job to do down the line too.

Is it worth disinfecting the tag points when the lambs are so young?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

We don't use anything on the tags at two days old....... we scabivax as we tag, handiest time to do it we find.
    Lambing going grand here, very thankful to have only 80 ewes in a tunnel that was originally built for over two hundred.
    We're like the dairyfarmers, the ewes and lambs are out during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

After getting a bad doing from hoggets ears getting infected a few years ago, I always disinfect the tags now.
    I use the cover of a marker spray bottle with surgical spirits in it, just dip them in before they into the tagger...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lost 2 lambs of a triplet set this morning. Ewe had prolapsed a couple of weeks ago. The first dead lamb was breach and stuck in the prolapse strap. The second was dead but luckily I got the last one out alive. Normally they can lamb past the straps but not in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

what to people do with used half ton meal and fert bags. clearing out a shed for pens and its full of emptys. Also what do you use to notch the ewes ear. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

joe35 wrote: »
    what to people do with used half ton meal and fert bags. clearing out a shed for pens and its full of emptys. Also what do you use to notch the ewes ear. TIA

I fold them up and bring them to a farm plastic recycling collection point when I'm going with the silage wrap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Used the meal ones for wool bags or drop them off with wool merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

After getting a bad doing from hoggets ears getting infected a few years ago, I always disinfect the tags now.
    I use the cover of a marker spray bottle with surgical spirits in it, just dip them in before they into the tagger...

Good plan and we use a baby wipe to clean the ear first and find a super job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Lads numbering lambs today hoping for the weather till get them out shortly noticed 1 lamb with a massive bulge on it's side from front shoulder till half way back his ribs... Give him an antibiotic but question is should I bust it Lance it or just leave it? Doesn't seem till be affecting lamb looks lively enough... He does tend till lay down under the feeding trough so there's a chance he got jammed getting out again.. another explaination could be there's a pallet tied on blocking part off the feeding barrier till make a creep area for lambs maybe he got a splinter off that.

Lambman wrote: »
    Lads numbering lambs today hoping for the weather till get them out shortly noticed 1 lamb with a massive bulge on it's side from front shoulder till half way back his ribs... Give him an antibiotic but question is should I bust it Lance it or just leave it? Doesn't seem till be affecting lamb looks lively enough... He does tend till lay down under the feeding trough so there's a chance he got jammed getting out again.. another explaination could be there's a pallet tied on blocking part off the feeding barrier till make a creep area for lambs maybe he got a splinter off that.

I've one like it here at the moment, I'm hoping it's just a bruise and will be reabsorbed, it happened on monday and it's reducing so have probably red it right....... but your lamb might be totally different.
    There's five ewes and ten lambs in the pens here so another ewe might have got defensive and pinned him to the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

if thinking of lancing something i get a brand new clean needle and i put it in the "bulge" and draw up a bit of what ever is inside if its blood or stale blood i leave it alone but if its puss i lance it and blue spray and a LA antibiotic injection

This is just like a water balloon very fluidy if I knew how till put pictures on this I would... Yeah he's in with 4 ewes and 7 lambs... I only noticed this morning but coulda been there last night might leave him till this evening give the antibiotic a chance till work and hopefully see some improvement by then... Neighbour called over since and he says he'd syringe it out because it's infected and would be better out off the body?

• Advertisement

This is just like a water balloon very fluidy if I knew how till put pictures on this I would... Yeah he's in with 4 ewes and 7 lambs... I only noticed this morning but coulda been there last night might leave him till this evening give the antibiotic a chance till work and hopefully see some improvement by then... Neighbour called over since and he says he'd syringe it out because it's infected and would be better out off the body?

Can't do any harm to see what's in it, mines just a circle two inches wide and rose maybe half an inch so doesn't look that bad

Stuck a needle in there with the intention off sucking it out with a syringe but as soon as I put needle in it started running out it so drained it all out hes back looking normal now... Have a ewe there though that lambed trips a week ago tomorrow pulled lamb off her yesterday and today she wouldn't eat nuts picked a bit at silage but is standing with her head tight in the corner... 1 did off her elder is very hard so I milked it out a bit milk looks fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Stuck a needle in there with the intention off sucking it out with a syringe but as soon as I put needle in it started running out it so drained it all out hes back looking normal now... Have a ewe there though that lambed trips a week ago tomorrow pulled lamb off her yesterday and today she wouldn't eat nuts picked a bit at silage but is standing with her head tight in the corner... 1 did off her elder is very hard so I milked it out a bit milk looks fine.

What colour was it?

The stuff that drained outta lamb or the milk in the ewe? Stuff that came outta lamb looked like piss. Milk in ewe looked 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Wishing for a bit of decent weather here. Into single figures to lamb but still have about 50 indoors. The ones that are out are coping fairly well. You'd forget how tough they can be. Just don't want to let a burst out, fill the space where they were and possible have to bring them back in again.
    Even though the shed resembled A and E on a bank holiday weekend for the last two weeks it went fairly well. Less then 4% losses. One ewe lacking milk came to it the next day. No lamb relying on use for feed but a few triplets will be trained on the auto feeder before they leave the shed and no vet calls. So far so good.
    Used ram effect on them for the first time this year. Worked well. Don't have exact number yet but around 75-80% lambed in the first 12 days. Usually we'd only have 10 lambed in the first week. Eight left to lamb.
    Only for this flecking weather we'd have a nice quiet shed with about 15 in it.

The stuff that drained outta lamb or the milk in the ewe? Stuff that came outta lamb looked like piss. Milk in ewe looked 100%

Hope fully it's not piss, hopefully his plumbing is correct

Horny ewes here this year are a disaster lambing, only about 8 after lambing but 3 of these are after having big dead single lambs, they lamb themselves, often when I'm not around, some have nice handy size lambs but others are massive and they were all fed the shame, have managed to Foster lamb's onto the ones that lost a lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Horny ewes here this year are a disaster lambing, only about 8 after lambing but 3 of these are after having big dead single lambs, they lamb themselves, often when I'm not around, some have nice handy size lambs but others are massive and they were all fed the shame, have managed to Foster lamb's onto the ones that lost a lamb

What ram did you use?? I've had bad experiences in the past with Suffolks on these Ewes:(

Birdnuts wrote: »
    What ram did you use?? I've had bad experiences in the past with Suffolks on these Ewes:(

Texels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Texels

Don't know a whole lot about Texels as my place in the West would not be suiteable for them and I don't know any of the more experienced operators locally using them. However I would say I've learn't to avoid any of the bigger(softer??) breeds for lambing with smaller horny ewes as from my experiece it can lead to the type of hardship you mention in your previous post.

Advertisement