Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

wrangler wrote: »
    Get electrolytes into her as soon as possible if she doesn't eat, If she hasn't twin lamb disease she soon will have, If they don't eat they start metabolising their own fat which is poisonous. Has she two or three lambs in her

Twins, have nothing hear to give her for twin lamb, anything homemade I could give her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭kk.man

DJ98 wrote: »
    Twins, have nothing hear to give her for twin lamb, anything homemade I could give her?

In the absence of electrolytes I give watery Luke warm porridge. I also find that grovite is very good but nothing beats electrolytes.

I heard Lucozade sport but I'm not sure nor am advising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Have you some glucose powder or are anywhere near a shop still open that has it? Not sugar though. There's a post somewhere with a homemade electrolyte recipe but glucose and sodium bicarbonate would be two of the ingredients, iirc, along with salt.

Or any neighbour that might have some electrolytes that you could return when the shops open?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Glycerine or glucose would be in your house if you have a cook in the house.
    porridge and treacle gruel my father used to use, early treatment is vital, I give her calccium under the skin as well.
    Ivy is great to get them eating, cut it off a tree somewhere

• Advertisement

Or any neighbour that might have some electrolytes that you could return when the shops open?

Good idea, any sheep farmers or calf rearers would have electrolytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Glycerine or glucose would be in your house if you have a cook in the house.
    porridge and treacle gruel my father used to use, early treatment is vital, I give her calccium under the skin as well.
    Ivy is great to get them eating, cut it off a tree somewhere

I’ve a ewe here gone down with twin lamb. Have her separated and feeding her oats/ maize meal and ewe nuts mixed together. She seems to be coming back around. Must try and make up a hoist of some description to get her standing again. Them not standing must be one of the most frustrating things a sheep farmer can face.

I’ve a ewe here gone down with twin lamb. Have her separated and feeding her oats/ maize meal and ewe nuts mixed together. She seems to be coming back around. Must try and make up a hoist of some description to get her standing again. Them not standing must be one of the most frustrating things a sheep farmer can face.

I often think that a twin lamb disease ewe has a six mth pregnancy just to annoy you,
    If she's eating she'll probably make it,
    The fact she's down could be due to your fluke problem, they'd be off food if it was twin lamb

I often think that a twin lamb disease ewe has a six mth pregnancy just to annoy you,
    If she's eating she'll probably make it,
    The fact she's down could be due to your fluke problem, they'd be off food if it was twin lamb

Ya, fingers crossed. I redosed her yesterday. Very frustrating the thought of bringing the flock back in again to redose this near to lambing. Just going to spot dose any here and there that look weak.

Ya, fingers crossed. I redosed her yesterday. Very frustrating the thought of bringing the flock back in again to redose this near to lambing. Just going to spot dose any here and there that look weak.

Don't know anything about fluke TG, but it's a right pain and apparently some of the doses are even hard on them .....how do you hope to win

• Advertisement

Don't know anything about fluke TG, but it's a right pain and apparently some of the doses are even hard on them .....how do you hope to win

Never realised I had a noticeable fluke problem here until the last 2 years. We had a bad wet winter about 3 years ago with the land spot flooded and fluke issues ever since.

Never realised I had a noticeable fluke problem here until the last 2 years. We had a bad wet winter about 3 years ago with the land spot flooded and fluke issues ever since.

The vet lab here can't believe I never dose, they tell me it's very unusual......better touch wood now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Was driving through a field today and a lamb darts out of the ditch and under the wheels of the Jeep. Stone dead in a few minutes. Couldn't believe it, after all you do!

Sheep farmer/Death wish management:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The vet lab here can't believe I never dose, they tell me it's very unusual......better touch wood now

Only for we put some ewes on a field near a river during the winter we wouldnt dose at all. I dont think its needed ,doing thin/old ewes would be ok but blanket treating them is a bit of a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

arctictree wrote: »
    Was driving through a field today and a lamb darts out of the ditch and under the wheels of the Jeep. Stone dead in a few minutes. Couldn't believe it, after all you do!

Had one the other day about 4 days old. Same thing but under the quad bike. I drove completely over him with one wheel. I was fair relieved when he ran off no bother on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

orm0nd wrote: »

Good to see the "resistance" issue highlighted - I think long term the only solution is more herbal leys on farms as the amount of effective chemistry continues to shrink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Lambing going good here touch wood but one off the hoggets dad noticed today thought she was going blind so caught her this evening shes definitely lost condition all we're dosed 4 weeks ago everything else doing fine. Looks like she's near blind came on fast as she was at feeder 2 days ago only thing I can think off is last bale went in had a bit off blue mould nothing serious. Any advice what till do with her?

Lambman wrote: »
    Lambing going good here touch wood but one off the hoggets dad noticed today thought she was going blind so caught her this evening shes definitely lost condition all we're dosed 4 weeks ago everything else doing fine. Looks like she's near blind came on fast as she was at feeder 2 days ago only thing I can think off is last bale went in had a bit off blue mould nothing serious. Any advice what till do with her?

Twin lamb disease will cause blindness too.
    Listeria from mouldy silage makes them disorientated and they walk into things, gets stuck in gates so they appear blind,
    Either way if she's off food and inlamb I'd be give electrolytes three or four time/day. Is she a double

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Sorry Wrangler ment till say it's a dry hogget.

Lambman wrote: »
    Sorry Wrangler ment till say it's a dry hogget.

Probably listeria so, don't know much about that, tetracycline or alamycin probably if you have it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

has anyone ever come across white muscle disease? got a lamb out in field down on all legs on saturday, he died sunday mornin. the same ewe lost her other lamb last week, so it must haave had the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dickie10 wrote: »
    has anyone ever come across white muscle disease? got a lamb out in field down on all legs on saturday, he died sunday mornin. the same ewe lost her other lamb last week, so it must haave had the same thing

Lack of selenium .is it definitely it,did u cut them up or do a pm?
    Mineral drench mightnt be any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

What way are folks covering ewes against tetany?

What way are folks covering ewes against tetany?

Hi mag buckets if they're not getting meal, it's not 100% though.
    Some people put magnesium flakes in the water as well........to be sure,
    Sheep ration usually has magnesium this time of the year but check it if you're depending on it, some don't

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anyone have a rule-of-thumb or guidelines for the size of hole that should be in a teat when feeding pets out of a bucket?

I got a 6 teat one and the lambs are struggling to get enough out. They just stop trying after a while but drink like mad from an old black teat with a big hole in it. So they’re definitely hungry.

There’s a little metal thing goes in the back of the bucket teats and I’m wondering if it’s a non-return valve. If so, would I be safe making a bigger hole in the teat?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭kk.man

Question;
    I have a few doubles born where I have one big lamb and one small lamb?
    They are on the best of hay ad lib, top quality ration and had restricted access to life line buckets. The ewes would have been dosed with cobalt and copper etc at various stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

manganese deficiency
    strange since you're feeding licks, it might be a case of the extra minerals supplied locking up the manganese
    would you be on high iron ground?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anyone have a rule-of-thumb or guidelines for the size of hole that should be in a teat when feeding pets out of a bucket?

I got a 6 teat one and the lambs are struggling to get enough out. They just stop trying after a while but drink like mad from an old black teat with a big hole in it. So they’re definitely hungry.

There’s a little metal thing goes in the back of the bucket teats and I’m wondering if it’s a non-return valve. If so, would I be safe making a bigger hole in the teat?

Think it’s sorted - the teat has to go in so that the slit/hole at the top is vertical, rather than horizontal or at any other angle.

Were others aware of this?

Apologies if this is obvious but I’ve never used a bucket/teat set-up before. Sharing the info here in case others didn’t know and you might not lose a lamb like I did while messing around with bottles, teats, buckets, etc

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement