Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

razor8 wrote: »
    Hard without seeing them, are they lacking flesh, mucky backends? What was there dosing routine as lambs. Eg white drench, clear?

They were lambs I bought last back end Razor. They were injected with dectomax for worms...

A few are mucky, but was putting that down to grass more than anything...

Was going to bolus them all right, as they looking a bit, I dunno, washed-out in the wool I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They were lambs I bought last back end Razor. They were injected with dectomax for worms...

A few are mucky, but was putting that down to grass more than anything...

Was going to bolus them all right, as they looking a bit, I dunno, washed-out in the wool I think...

White wormer is the only one that killls tapeworm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Brain teaser for ye !

3 week old lamb fit and health at 8 pm Monday night

8 pm tuesday night he is lying still although sitting up!

he is blind and possibly deaf.....

No ability to walk, stand or take weight on legs.

Sucked a bottle last night and this am.....

Any ideas.

roosky wrote: »
    Brain teaser for ye !

3 week old lamb fit and health at 8 pm Monday night

8 pm tuesday night he is lying still although sitting up!

he is blind and possibly deaf.....

No ability to walk, stand or take weight on legs.

Sucked a bottle last night and this am.....

Any ideas.

Meningitis?

Meningitis fits the symptoms,

Anyone ever have a lamb to survive it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yeah, a ewe and two lambs this spring. Vit b1 and a few days of Alamycin 300 as soon as symptoms are spotted.

The two lambs were a good bit of work, lifting and feeding slowly 3 times a day for about 3 weeks, easier after the second though once they stood themselves. The ewe still isn't 100%, I'll make a judgement on keeping her in the next few weeks.

yea, it seems to be easy cured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

If it’s got in time the sheep stands a chance. Often hold their head sideways for their lifetime after. Tetanus shows similar symptoms and I had a Few lambs in a particular piece of ground with unvaccinated lambs a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Any a you guys towing tuff Mac trailers? Thinking off changeing and hearing there a good trailer. Thinking on going for the 14x6 tri axle with decks. Replacing an 09 14x5'10 twin axle ifor Williams with decks. If anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Lambman wrote: »
    Any a you guys towing tuff Mac trailers? Thinking off changeing and hearing there a good trailer. Thinking on going for the 14x6 tri axle with decks. Replacing an 09 14x5'10 twin axle ifor Williams with decks. If anyone interested.

12ft one here happy enough with it you could argue the ramps a bit light do. Other than that we can’t fault it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

390 kid are they light enough towed? Had a Hudson before the ifor I have now and she was a disaster till pull.

wrangler wrote: »
    yea, it seems to be easy cured

Thats good

The lamb has got any amount of antibiotics now, all different brands !

and getting vit b1 two vets told me its b1 he needs , should he also be getting b12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Thats good

The lamb has got any amount of antibiotics now, all different brands !

and getting vit b1 two vets told me its b1 he needs , should he also be getting b12

No, sorry, big fingers hitting two keys at the same time:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Meningitis?

Lambs can get it when the ringed tail falls off and the bug gets in and travels up the spine to the brain.

Lambs can get it when the ringed tail falls off and the bug gets in and travels up the spine to the brain.

All of what you said makes sense.....he may have a spinal issue too as he is very disabled on the back legs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What's the best type of creep feeder do people find, the one the lamb walks into or just puts it head into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Depends.
    The one they walk in can only feed 4-8 depending on size. Can lead to a crush/trampled lambs but it keeps the feed dry and also acts as shelter for young lambs just turned out. If a ewe gets in she is more likely to get stuck in there and gorge.

The head in one can feed 20 odd lambs at a time. 10 or so each side. Less likely to crush/trample lambs. Depending on your area, the feed can get wet. If there's driving rain. No benifit of shelter for new lambs. Ewes unlikely to get stuck with the head release bar.

Edit to say the head in one's have wheels one end so we sit the other end on the back of the quad to move it. The walk in one's, although lighter will need a trailer or transport box to move.

One problem we have with our head in feeders is it seems to cut the lambs ears randomly. Some a little cut some a bad tear across the ear. I took an angle grinder to them last year and ground down any welding bolbs, sharp edges. Seen a lambs last weekend with his ear cut. Can't understand it. Doesn't happen often enough to see it happen. Could be just a freak thing that happens with the release bar.

Lambman wrote: »
    390 kid are they light enough towed? Had a Hudson before the ifor I have now and she was a disaster till pull.

She’s grand to pull used to pull it on a transit and she went on the best do find it a bit wavy when it’s not fully loaded do

390kid wrote: »
    She’s grand to pull used to pull it on a transit and she went on the best do find it a bit wavy when it’s not fully loaded do

All those long trailers should have dividing gates to keep stock to the front when not fully loaded

Came across this on an english farming forum.
    Some ewes have to be in an adoption crate for a long lonnnng time.:D

https://d1hu4133i4rt3z.cloudfront.net/avatars/l/24/24760.jpg?1436114463

• Advertisement

Have a few ewes and lambs on a rough hill and there destroyed with ticks. What’s the best to put on them or try to get rid of them. I’m afraid to dip them in case the ewes might not take up with them after

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

390kid wrote: »
    Have a few ewes and lambs on a rough hill and there destroyed with ticks. What’s the best to put on them or try to get rid of them. I’m afraid to dip them in case the ewes might not take up with them after

Vector pour on. Get it on quick or you will lose lambs.

Just an update on the lamb with meningitis.......RIP

PM showed it to be CCN

He was back walking and fine then took a fit and died sunday :(

Just an update on the lamb with meningitis.......RIP

PM showed it to be CCN

He was back walking and fine then took a fit and died sunday :(

CCN is deadly if it's not got early, I got an outbreak years ago in weaned calves for no obvious reason,
    I remember them being very hard handled when they went blind. I lost a lot of calves with it. they were out on a new reseed and the cases stopped when I took them off it, some of the survivors were never right after

Looks to be a brilliant programme for the IGA Sheep Conference.
    Farm Visit is 400 acre farm

https://www.irishgrassland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/IGA-Sheep-Conference-2019.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Yea John is dead on, lovely farm, he also has an outdoor slatted unit for 600 sheep which is unusual but seems to work very well

I was at an IFA sheep meeting last night, it seems the only sector compelled to use electronic tags is the farmers,....... factories and marts can do what they like. One of the reps from Kepak said that it would incur a lot of extra cost for them and of course the lamb has to pay for everything.
    To be sure of my lambs in the factory I think I'll be reading them myself same as usual. It's going to be an absolute mess.
    It seems farmers have been haphazard about recording and traceability has to be 100%
    Numbers should be nearly 100% right with electronic reading

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Clean up lambs for the factory, using a jakoti hand clippers, good but abit slow, are the electric shears any better or a waste of time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Question on EID Tagging and tag subsidy

Have 10 or so early spring lambs that will be fit to sell in the next week or 2, if I order tags for these 10 will the tag subsidy be paid on this ammount as opposed to the 100+ ill be ordering later in the year.

• Advertisement

DJ98 wrote: »
    Question on EID Tagging and tag subsidy

Have 10 or so early spring lambs that will be fit to sell in the next week or 2, if I order tags for these 10 will the tag subsidy be paid on this ammount as opposed to the 100+ ill be ordering later in the year.

The subsidy will only be paid once as far as I know...
    If you order 10 - you only get a subsidy on 10, so best to order the most you get the subsidy on...
    I can’t remember if that’s 100euro it 100tags... 100 tags I think...

Advertisement