Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Fencing was the big focus here this year and even though there’s still plenty of it to do, I’m starting to look at handling equipment now.

Would a basic handling unit be easily got 2nd hand? Or is there no hope of finding one on DoneDeal and I’d have to buy new?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Give lambs first dose yesterday... All coming along nicely no feet or orf problems. Oldest lamb is 34kg born 20th February 2 weeks before any a the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Clean up lambs for the factory, using a jakoti hand clippers, good but abit slow, are the electric shears any better or a waste of time ?

I've a rechargeable battery one that I got from Connacht Agri, it's a great machine, it cost €320. they had them at a reduced price at Tullamore show, They had a cheaper one but I'm used to the blade speed of the shears i use for shearing and I thought the cheaper one was pathetic. You can get electric ones too, only about €100 but I wouldn't know what to recommend in those,

This is what we have, I see it has a speed of 2500 rpm so whether you go electric or cordless that's the minimum speed to be looking for.
    https://connachtagri.ie/product/12-volt-battery-cordless-sheep-cattle-clippers/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    I've a rechargeable battery one that I got from Connacht Agri, it's a great machine, it cost €320. they had them at a reduced price at Tullamore show, They had a cheaper one but I'm used to the speed of the blade speed of the shears i use for shearing and I thought the cheaper one was pathetic. You can get electric ones too, only about €100 but I wouldn't know what to recommend in those,

This is what we have, I see it has a speed of 2500 rpm so whether you go electric or cordless that's the minimum speed to be looking for.
    https://connachtagri.ie/product/12-volt-battery-cordless-sheep-cattle-clippers/

Nice looking machine. It seems to be gone the way that everything going out the gate to factory needs to be clipped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Sami23

Lambman wrote: »
    Give lambs first dose yesterday... All coming along nicely no feet or orf problems. Oldest lamb is 34kg born 20th February 2 weeks before any a the rest.

What dose did you use if you don't mind me asking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

I always vaccinate for orf, can't be got around here this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

jd06 wrote: »
    I always vaccinate for orf, can't be got around here this year

There seems to be a lot of issues about vaccine supply recently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭kk.man

DJ98 wrote: »
    Question on EID Tagging and tag subsidy

Have 10 or so early spring lambs that will be fit to sell in the next week or 2, if I order tags for these 10 will the tag subsidy be paid on this ammount as opposed to the 100+ ill be ordering later in the year.

It's based solely on your 1st order since EID came in.

I made that mistake

Used zerofen here... I heard there was a bad batch off scabivax made and it was recalled that's why it's hard till get this year... I never used it anyways... Does any of you know the name off the single jagyou give till ewes for bad feet? The old horned ewes I bought are going bad on there feet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eire23

Clean up lambs for the factory, using a jakoti hand clippers, good but abit slow, are the electric shears any better or a waste of time ?

https://www.hornershearing.com/acatalog/rambo-battery.html
    Bought one of these a while back, great job for dagging, nice size for using as well like the normal hand piece. Thought the other battery ones were very bulky and would be awkward for using if ya were using it for any length of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I only got a jakoti only the other day... am savage impressed...

Ah, tis nice too, back here in the dark ages, tis little keeps us happy... ;)

I only got a jakoti only the other day... am savage impressed...

Ah, tis nice too, back here in the dark ages, tis little keeps us happy... ;)

A super tool. The sheep sh*t clogs them up as well and they don’t meet as cleanly after a while, but clean it all down, a tap of the hammer on the little rivet and away she goes again. Mind your fingers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

got a jakoti shears there brilliant clip a sheep in halff the time literally. dont try sharpen them though. self sharpening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

What white wormers are people using for lambs this year?

I see Zerofen mentioned earlier in the thread.....I used 'Arrest' the last few years and it worked well but wouldn't mind an alternative this year.

What white wormers are people using for lambs this year?

I see Zerofen mentioned earlier in the thread.....I used 'Arrest' the last few years and it worked well but wouldn't mind an alternative this year.

I know it's not white but I used Valbazen the other day for their 1st dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sami23 wrote: »
    I know it's not white but I used Valbazen the other day for their 1st dose.

White doses are recommended at five/six weeks because it kills nemos and it's not as hard on young lambs.
    Valbazen is a fluke and worm,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Has anywhere in country a supply of ‘Scabivax?......have Orf in the land here so usually protect the lambs each year but seems Scabivax can’t be got by vets/animal pharmacies etc....very frustrating from an animal husbandry point of view.

Have fingers crossed we don’t get an outbreak.

wrangler wrote: »
    White doses are recommended at five/six weeks because it kills nemos and it's not as hard on young lambs.
    Valbazen is a fluke and worm,

Oops I had it left over from last year and it's going out of date in June I think so said I'd use it up.
    I had been using Arrest early last year alrit.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Just out of interest what are yas dosing the ewes with when the lambs are in for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

390kid wrote: »
    Just out of interest what are yas dosing the ewes with when the lambs are in for it?

I never dose ewes for worms anyway

When they get the heptavac p before lambing i give all thing ewes and triplets a worm dose of cydectin.

They get fluke dose every 8 weeks over winter starting when the rams go out in late october and then get the last fluke dose when leaving the lambing pens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

We'd never dose ewes. Maybe just the odd thin one when we where dosing the lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im using animex for first worm dose of year, its ivermectin based not triclabendozole like i used the last 5 years i think i need to change the dose this year i didnt think it was recommoneded to keep using same dose brand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Dunno ganmo but I bought a young charrlois ram last year as cover never used him though he was 76kg when bought but he turned out a disaster. He's still not big but my own texel was finished tupping first so they were put together then my older charrlois was put with them and when the crossing Leicester was finished with the horned ewes I put him with them put him off the trailer fed them all together no bother thought job done turned Jeep and looked over gate the wee charrlois was chasing the crossing Leicster around the field then the other 2 started the same knocking lumps outta him so I had till take him away again but even now when I walk thru them he'd nearly go for you. Anybody looking a good charrlois hogget ram haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭arctictree

Dunno ganmo but I bought a young charrlois ram last year as cover never used him though he was 76kg when bought but he turned out a disaster. He's still not big but my own texel was finished tupping first so they were put together then my older charrlois was put with them and when the crossing Leicester was finished with the horned ewes I put him with them put him off the trailer fed them all together no bother thought job done turned Jeep and looked over gate the wee charrlois was chasing the crossing Leicster around the field then the other 2 started the same knocking lumps outta him so I had till take him away again but even now when I walk thru them he'd nearly go for you. Anybody looking a good charrlois hogget ram haha.

Same here. Bought a ram lamb as cover 2 years ago. Had to get rid of him this year as he'd go for you once you get in the field. You'd see him running from the far corner! Far too dangerous especially with kids around.

arctictree wrote: »
    Same here. Bought a ram lamb as cover 2 years ago. Had to get rid of him this year as he'd go for you once you get in the field. You'd see him running from the far corner! Far too dangerous especially with kids around.

Another thing to never do in sheep is keep a ram that was raised as a pet lamb. When they get mature they won’t have any fear of humans and will do exactly what you said above. Go for you whenever they feel like it. Always factory anything male raised by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Any recommendations on a good drenching gun and a vaccinator?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Any recommendations on a good drenching gun and a vaccinator?

After years of buying ****ty ones that werent great, I got one of these a while back

(I dont think I paid that much for it, but it was a while ago too when I got it)

But am very pleased with it - sorry I didnt do it sooner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

After years of buying ****ty ones that werent great, I got one of these a while back

(I dont think I paid that much for it, but it was a while ago too when I got it)

But am very pleased with it - sorry I didnt do it sooner...

I second that they are dear but very good

I don’t trust any vaccinating gun after trying them all !

Advertisement