Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

She got first injection yesterday, she was in at night & out during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Still no different this morning so I took the chance & loaded her up & put her in the same field as the rest of comrades & she started eating within a couple of minutes, so, so far so good, looks likes she missed her comrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 connolly18

lads i have a lamb with strawberry footrot anyone got any good cures for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Anyone having to dose 3-4 week old lambs yet? Batch of triplets getting very dirty and the main batch has a few starting too. Bought arrest last weekend and plan to do them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Anyone having to dose 3-4 week old lambs yet? Batch of triplets getting very dirty and the main batch has a few starting too. Bought arrest last weekend and plan to do them tomorrow.

Yea we have dosed all the older lambs which are 3 to 6 wks old this week, did them with albex some were getting a bit dry of themselves so thought it best to do them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Would 3 - 4wk old lambs be eating enough grass to get worms....more like the age for coccidiocis.
    I'll be dosing 6wk old lambs this week

sorry I have to correct my earlier post-the oldest lambs are 6 weeks since yesterday and so 3 to six weeks old, mainly 4-6 weeks. I see them picking at grass already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Wat do most off u use for in the first dose.. nearly be as handy or even handier till inject rather than oral dose?

Lambman wrote: »
    Wat do most off u use for in the first dose.. nearly be as handy or even handier till inject rather than oral dose?

cheapest white dose I can get, I'm only dosing for nematodirus and they're not resistant to white doses yet. There'd be no stomach worms at this stage in young lambs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Very doubtful that's worms. More likely nemo or coccidiosis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

Took dung lambs off lambs last week lambs aged 4-6 weeks old. Some lambs scouring bad enough.

Results we're coccidiosis present and also nematodirous 50eggs per gram. And them sample were taken last Wednesday.

After dosing everything with vecoxan on Monday and white drench today.

I didn't expect worms to be a problem yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

we done them with a white dose on tuesday, majority of teh lambs would be around 6-7 weeks. a few were getting dirty

cattle man wrote: »
    Took dung lambs off lambs last week lambs aged 4-6 weeks old. Some lambs scouring bad enough.

Results we're coccidiosis present and also nematodirous 50eggs per gram. And them sample were taken last Wednesday.

After dosing everything with vecoxan on Monday and white drench today.

I didn't expect worms to be a problem yet.

Nemo comes from 5 weeks on, coccidiosis a bit earlier, both can do serious harm to thrive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Will endospec do for dosing lambs,I've only a handful from a couple days old to 4/5 weeks so I'll do them in a month or so

Few lambs that are lame but have no scald .... Caught 4 and one had scald and the others didn't however they had bits of dried dirt stuck to inside of hoof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'm disgusted with myself this evening , I was working early this morning and just threw a quick eye on the ewes . I noticed one on her own looking a bit off form but her lambs were sucking so I thought I'd check her later when I finished. Got caught late and when I came home she was dead (she had a load of foam around her mouth and the vet reckoned probably magnesium would have saved her )
    She has two nice lambs almost a month old , I dont know how easy they will take to the bottle but how much/often would they want feeding at this stage ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'm disgusted with myself this evening , I was working early this morning and just threw a quick eye on the ewes . I noticed one on her own looking a bit off form but her lambs were sucking so I thought I'd check her later when I finished. Got caught late and when I came home she was dead (she had a load of foam around her mouth and the vet reckoned probably magnesium would have saved her )
    She has two nice lambs almost a month old , I dont know how easy they will take to the bottle but how much/often would they want feeding at this stage ?

Twice a day at least for a while if you can get them to take to the bottle. And good creep as well.

Bullocks wrote: »

In all the ewes i've had with grass tetany, I've only saved one which was last year and she died of it this year. they die very quick with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads - Have a ewe here that had an abortion about a month ago. Now she has completely shed her wool. Any idea what's wrong with her? She seems healthy enough otherwise and her skin seems fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads - Have a ewe here that had an abortion about a month ago. Now she has completely shed her wool. Any idea what's wrong with her? She seems healthy enough otherwise and her skin seems fine.

wool can drop off a few weeks after a sickness, had a ram here got pneumonia and lost big patches a few after he recovered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

ganmo wrote: »
    wool can drop off a few weeks after a sickness, had a ram here got pneumonia and lost big patches a few after he recovered

Its the antibiotics that causes wool loss as my mrs says that stuff can't be good for ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Twice a day at least for a while if you can get them to take to the bottle. And good creep as well.
    Thanks Buford hopefully the hunger will get them on the bottle ok
    rangler1 wrote: »
    In all the ewes i've had with grass tetany, I've only saved one which was last year and she died of it this year. they die very quick with it

They sure do , I'm just mad that I spotted her this morning and didnt do anything about it then

kk.man wrote: »
    ganmo wrote: »

Its the antibiotics that causes wool loss as my mrs says that stuff can't be good for ya!
    I read that it's not actually the antibiotics, but rather even a sheep gets sick they probably get a temperate which is what causes the wool loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Yes it's the high temperature that's causes the wool lose not the antibiotics

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The sickness upset causes an area of thin strand to be produced. When it clears the hair follicle its brittleness allows it to be pulled off easily.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

How are your crop of lambs going? Started dosing today. First bunch of lambs are about 5 weeks old. Had a high rate of lameness among the lambs but they are thriving away. Lambs weigh between 22kg to 25kg including both twins and singles.

Didn't weight any yet but had them in for dosing on Saturday and very happy with how they looked. I put them through a bluestone foot bath for the second time. First time they was a good few lame, bot so much on Saturday but seen they were in I said I'd run them through it. No creep giving yet to main flock, triplets are getting and eating a lot.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    How are your crop of lambs going? Started dosing today. First bunch of lambs are about 5 weeks old. Had a high rate of lameness among the lambs but they are thriving away. Lambs weigh between 22kg to 25kg including both twins and singles.

Doing well. Haven't weighed any except for an old lamb ten weeks old that was 40kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Quite a few lame here too. Footbathed them last weekend when we had them in to dose them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Doing well. Haven't weighed any except for an old lamb ten weeks old that was 40kg

Will he be for the freezer ? There seems to be a lot of lameness across flicks this year. Is there any specific reason for it ?

Advertisement