Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

DJ98 wrote: »
    What are lamb creep or nuts costing this year?

I’ll tell u come November when I’m left with the tail ends or the bad lambs ha
    !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Young95 wrote: »
    I’ll tell u come November when I’m left with the tail ends or the bad lambs ha
    !!

Would it be worth considering a feed to yield ratio....in that better lambs would convert meal to weight quicker and be more profitable??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What are lamb creep or nuts costing this year?

With the way the prices are gone this year it’s not worth feeding any march lambs or later

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

First lamb is the profit, the rest cover the costs. Wouldn’t bother with sheep here at 50€ a ewe.

Every one would be farming sheep if the net profit was the price of a lamb, €100/ewe.
    On the IGA Sheep conference farm last week, the gross margin was €63/ewe, last year was a bad year but if you take fixed costs out of that the net margin would be only little more than break even

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

do most people find hoggets struggle to rear two lambs? giving my hoggets and triplet feeding ewes creep to keep them goin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

wrangler wrote: »
    Every one would be farming sheep if the net profit was the price of a lamb, €100/ewe.
    On the IGA Sheep conference farm last week, the gross margin was €63/ewe, last year was a bad year but if you take fixed costs out of that the net margin would be only little more than break even

If your selling 1.7 lambs and your variable cost to keep a ewe is 100€ the price of lamb is the least of your problems, couldn’t spend that if I tried. Fixed costs here would be very low, anyway carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Handy enough spend €100 a ewe in an all sheep system if you consider all fencing, machinery purchases, machinery maintenance, running a farm jeep or van, up keep of the farm and buildings, insurance, hired labor......when you add all these costs to the feed, fertilizer, reseeding, vaccines, dosing, dipping and handling equipment etc you wont be long running into €100 a ewe.....

People are too quick to bury costs and convince them selves that there is more out of it than there is because if we all done proper financial analysis we would all just go for pints instead !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Dickie10 wrote: »
    do most people find hoggets struggle to rear two lambs? giving my hoggets and triplet feeding ewes creep to keep them goin

What breed are they??

If it was me....id prefer feed to feed the lambs

roosky wrote: »
    Handy enough spend €100 a ewe in an all sheep system if you consider all fencing, machinery purchases, machinery maintenance, running a farm jeep or van, up keep of the farm and buildings, insurance, hired labor......when you add all these costs to the feed, fertilizer, reseeding, vaccines, dosing, dipping and handling equipment etc you wont be long running into €100 a ewe.....

People are too quick to bury costs and convince them selves that there is more out of it than there is because if we all done proper financial analysis we would all just go for pints instead !!!

The reports from profit monitors submitted to teagasc would bear out what we're saying and at €40/ewe you'd be in the top third of the profit monitors....... a lot would probably be sending in better figures than they actually got and ignoring some costs.
    Processors would be very quick to act if they thought farmers could produce lambs at €60

Dickie10 wrote: »

Yea, they're not really able to feed them, We've only four doubles here this year but we used to put them in a group and feed them extra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Put in some dry hoggetts yday evening to treat a few lame ones ...they had bit of a runaround from the dog before going in pen,are in good form and were dosed around 5 weeks ago with Flukiver.

Are on fairly dry ground,noticed 4 or 5 of them coughing within the half hour they were in pen,Wonder would this just be from the run they got or could they have worms?

Appreciate any thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

razor8 wrote: »
    Duotech is 18 days

Just an update for lads. Duotech withdrawal has recently been changed. Withdrawal gone from 18 to 42 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Seen that on something too but when I checked data sheet it still said 18 days.

Did it say 42 days on the packaging?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

For the sheep welfare scheme we have to collect stool samples from the lambs. Last year the father just collected 10 samples at once and sent them off. Is this sufficient for the scheme or what way should it be done

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Anyone start creep feeding lambs yet or do they intend to with the price of them at the minute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The only way is downward now until the next Muslim festival. Adlib feeding mid season lambs is a no no any given year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone any experience with the draper wire tensioning tool, seems handy for putting up barbed wire

tool/https://www.watsonhire.ie/product/draper-fence-wire-tensioning-tool/

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Anyone any experience with the draper wire tensioning tool, seems handy for putting up barbed wire

I’ve used this. It’s ok for very short bits of thorny wire or if you only want to half do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Bought one the same for £20. That prices appears high

Very handy tool. Great for finishing the last post when tensioning long lengths of wire with pullers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Sami23

Yes I was actually using it this morning myself. Was re-tightening barbed wire that's up 15+ years.
    I find it very good anyway for long or short distances so wud recommend it. Easy to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

razor8 wrote: »
    Seen that on something too but when I checked data sheet it still said 18 days.

Did it say 42 days on the packaging?

The medicine board extended it to 42 days about 6 months ago. Older bottles like mine still say 18 days, but new bottles say 42 days. Think there’s a disclaimer somewhere saying always check up to date regulations when using product. Just one of those things,if your lamb was tested in a factory, trying to explain afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Anybody any advice on what till do with a ewe panting away? Would remind u off a texel ram that had texel throat? She'd be a well bred texel first lamber she's in serious good condition but panting the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Lambman wrote: »
    Anybody any advice on what till do with a ewe panting away? Would remind u off a texel ram that had texel throat? She'd be a well bred texel first lamber she's in serious good condition but panting the whole time.

Greysides looks in from time to time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

The medicine board extended it to 42 days about 6 months ago. Older bottles like mine still say 18 days, but new bottles say 42 days. Think there’s a disclaimer somewhere saying always check up to date regulations when using product. Just one of those things,if your lamb was tested in a factory, trying to explain afterwards.

Notice in shop yesterday stating change and to take note of the 42 days as some packaging still says 18 days, but it is 42 no matter what is on the packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I’ve a couple of hoggets here. Not sure what to do with them. Will I keep them and sell them for the breeding sales ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I’ve a couple of hoggets here. Not sure what to do with them. Will I keep them and sell them for the breeding sales ?

You might as well chance them now for breeding - the factory price won’t be much...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Ewe is still the same today but she's out in middle off field must a been grazing away although I didn't see her. Worried about her now.

Lambman wrote: »
    Ewe is still the same today but she's out in middle off field must a been grazing away although I didn't see her. Worried about her now.

I'd be finding out if she had a nigh temperature if it was mine, no point in losing her if it's only a lung infection/chill.
    Everyone should have their own thermometer at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, I've a ewe here with the udder hanging off her from mastitis. She was treated a few weeks ago and seems to have gotten over the sickness. I gave her a fly spray earlier just in case. I am due to go the Mart on Saturday with cull ewes. Would the factory lads take her in her current state or would I be better off waiting until she's healed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, I've a ewe here with the udder hanging off her from mastitis. She was treated a few weeks ago and seems to have gotten over the sickness. I gave her a fly spray earlier just in case. I am due to go the Mart on Saturday with cull ewes. Would the factory lads take her in her current state or would I be better off waiting until she's healed?

Wait. Less chance of rejection.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement